BNIB Gas tank storage | GTAMotorcycle.com

BNIB Gas tank storage

I have brand new in box gas tank I bought with my motorcycle. Hoping to store this tank for years.

What's the shelf life of these tanks if never used? Anything I should do to ensure that if I pull this thing out 10,20,30 years from now it's not going to be rusted inside or compromised?

2017 Honda rebel tank

Thanks for your input.

Does it make sense to store it for years or sell it now? I still have a tank in my garage from an old bike that I bought as a spare. Bike is gone, market for tanks is not an easy place. There are not a lot of buyers. As RR said, I don't expect problems if oil coated and temperature controlled. If it's in the garage and temperature cycled, over time, it may not be pristine and the number of people that want a 2017 rebel tank decreases. Basically my point is you are giving up space and effort to store something that likely decreases in value over time (not many people will pay anywhere close to msrp for a tank for a 15 year old bike). Try to turn it into money now, put it in the stock market and buy a tank if and when you need one in the future. If you wait 50 years, the value may go up a bit, but who will be doing a top dollar NOS restoration on a rebel?

There are special shipping greases that are designed for the purpose. Lloyds AD3000 is one. Mill supply houses should have similar products. Would chain lube have the right characteristics, clingy and oily?

I have two cans of the AD3000 and will never use up one. PM me if you want the other.

Does it make sense to store it for years or sell it now? I still have a tank in my garage from an old bike that I bought as a spare. Bike is gone, market for tanks is not an easy place. There are not a lot of buyers. As RR said, I don't expect problems if oil coated and temperature controlled. If it's in the garage and temperature cycled, over time, it may not be pristine and the number of people that want a 2017 rebel tank decreases. Basically my point is you are giving up space and effort to store something that likely decreases in value over time (not many people will pay anywhere close to msrp for a tank for a 15 year old bike). Try to turn it into money now, put it in the stock market and buy a tank if and when you need one in the future. If you wait 50 years, the value may go up a bit, but who will be doing a top dollar NOS restoration on a rebel?

Murphy's Law of Insurance: You never break a part that you have a spare for.

If it's in the original box it will have a desiccant.
DON'T OPEN THE BOX and you're good for 10 years. After 10 years replace the desiccant. reseal the box and DON'T OPEN THE BOX.

If you keep it inside away from temperature change you won't have any rust issues.

I was going to bring that up, but not sure how the carb/ fi may not appreciate the goo.

There are methods to remove it easily enough prior to ever installing it.

Back
Top Bottom