BMW fuel pump failure | GTAMotorcycle.com

BMW fuel pump failure

Icbones

Site Supporter
My wife and I had an interesting trip to Atlantic City this past long weekend. While driving on the Atlantic City expressway we experienced a sudden loss of power and the engine stalled at 120KpH. It seems a small part on BMW RT and GS and GSA models is (as we have discovered) Known to fail abruptly. It is such a common problem that there is an after market jumper cable to temporarily get you on the road again.

003.jpg

This is the fuel pump controller and it is under the Tupperware on the left side of the bike in a non draining well on the fuel pump. Cost $225.00 Lost time set us 25 hours behind schedule. Experience, Priceless:rolleyes:

I made a jumper cable from the old controller. I hope the new one is more robust.

The fuel pump controller is $225? Good gravy. What year is this thing? Has anyone modified their bike so that area does drain?

It is a 2007 1200RT. It has 68,000 Km on it. I'm not certian about the possibility of being able to modify it to drain. In fact I'm not sure if water collecting caused the failure, or if it is a part that has been outsourced to some off shore manufacturer and quality control is the issue. The new part does look to be of a different material.

The fuel pump controller is $225? Good gravy. What year is this thing? Has anyone modified their bike so that area does drain?

Back
Top Bottom