Bike suddenly died (EFI). Where to start? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike suddenly died (EFI). Where to start?

spitRR

My bike is a 2002 VFR 800 Vtec with about 55000 kms.

On my way home last Wednesday it suddenly stopped working mid-ride; I was giving it gas, but no gas was being given. All the lights on the dash work except the EFI light and therefore the bike will not prime and start. The battery is good and the starter cranks nice and strong but of coarse no spark.

I haven't opened her up yet but I figure I'll start with the simple things like fuses, relays and maybe the bank angle sensor.

Anybody have any other ideas of what the culprit might be? Any help is appreciated.

Not sure I understand how no spark relates to a fuel injection problem, but if you want to check the FI there should be a way to check your fuel pressure. ... is a free download service manual available for that bike?

what is a EFI light? do you mean a service or trouble light?

do you have spark at the plugs? did you actually check for a spark at plugs? or are you assuming no spark?

EDIT: Perhaps OP meant to say "cranks but doesn't fire" - rather than "cranks and no spark?"

Last edited:
Vfr were known for rectifie/regulator failures.

Check obvious things like loose battery cables, but more than likely you will need to get a voltmeter to diagnose further.

Vfrdiscussion.com was a great forum back in the day when I had a vfr. Very knowledgeable guys post there.

My Goldwing did that.I always thought that "FI" meant fuel injection.It means "fault indicator".The wing had a bad #4 injector and in Honda's infinite wisdom,it will not limp home on 5 cylinders.Everything else worked fine.Just would not fire.

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

Is there an engine light on the dash?

I can't remember if there is, but i imagine so.

Not sure I understand how no spark relates to a fuel injection problem, but if you want to check the FI there should be a way to check your fuel pressure. ... is a free download service manual available for that bike?

I have the full service manual at home. And Boyoboy is correct; I meant "cranks but doesn't fire". - Sorry for the brainfart. It sounds like it wants to fire up but doesn't.

Check the fuses.

First thing on the list

EDIT: Perhaps OP meant to say "cranks but doesn't fire" - rather than "cranks and no spark?"

Thanks for the correction

Vfr were known for rectifie/regulator failures.

Check obvious things like loose battery cables, but more than likely you will need to get a voltmeter to diagnose further.

Vfrdiscussion.com was a great forum back in the day when I had a vfr. Very knowledgeable guys post there.

The reg/rec and stator were both replaced last year.
It won't flash any codes at all.

Sounds like you might want to meter test your electrics but if the battery was totally good, (not running on dead loss) not sure that would immediately kill the bike while in motion and not have obvious other symptoms. Loss of fuel pressure will absolutely cause it to run really bad or not at all, even a hose or the fuel filter canister, if it is located inside the fuel tank they can develop a leak that is not apparent unless you maybe look inside the tank while the pump is running and see movement in the fuel that should not be there. I've had that happen twice, first time fuel canister developed a crack and lost power, second time a rubber fuel line deteriorated inside the tank and would not start. Error codes are good but don't always lead you directly to the problem, sometimes they are just another symptom of the root problem.

? I go riding now ? if I don't come back you know it did not go well.

My Goldwing did that.I always thought that "FI" meant fuel injection.It means "fault indicator".The wing had a bad #4 injector and in Honda's infinite wisdom,it will not limp home on 5 cylinders.Everything else worked fine.Just would not fire.
Did the FI indicator actually light up and give you a code?

The light being on only indicates there is a code, it wont tell you what it is. The process to pull the code is explained in the link i posted above.

Reactions: J_F
OBD is the way to start with this
you can spend a lot of $$ just throwing parts at it on a guess

although a bad fuel pump can be TS without electronic diagnosis

Good news- injectors are sold separately: 16450-MCW-004
Bad news - there's a raft of hoses that hook all this stuff together, I'd be looking for an air leak somewhere before dropping the coin.

Bit of a development...

I went to check the FI codes and figured I'd re-check all the lights. Turns out the high beams are not working either. I'm not sure if it's related but I just changed both low beam bulbs a few weeks ago as both sides were blown.
I haven't checked the fuses yet but that's next.

How do you know the battery is good?

Currently my battery is reading 12.45 v. Keep in mind it's been sitting since last Wednesday. I cant do a load test as I dont have load tester.

However, I have found the 20 amp fuse under the seat and the 20 amp fuse from my VFRness have both blown. The 30 amp fuse is fine

Back
Top Bottom