bike phone mount + newer phone issues? | GTAMotorcycle.com

bike phone mount + newer phone issues?

iblastoff

i have a ram mount that i mount my iphone 6s for mostly GPS reasons.

i was considering upgrading my phone but i've read from multiple sources (mostly forums and reddit) that people with newer phones (that have optical image stabilization for the camera ) get damaged due to the excessive and constant vibration of bikes. the camera stabilization apparently breaks and the camera becomes all wonky.

the iphone 6s doesnt have stabilization so i've been fine.

has anyone else actually had this happen to them?

On my old S7, the vibrations broke my vibrator (on the phone I mean, not the one I carry in my trunk)
Was only $8 for a replacement piece and about 2 hours of prying the back off the phone to do the replacement.

you don't have to spend much time watching YT moto videos
to see many of them with broken phones in a RAM mount

just MO, but if you need to put a phone there for NAV
I'd buy a $150 android and keep the $900 phone safe
in a pocket or something, and hot spot the cheap phone to it

I always like to have a phone in my pocket anyway so this solves that problem at the same time. In case I end up in a ditch somewhere, I don't want to be crawling around trying to find a phone to call for help.

The RAM mount is super solid, it holds phone in under various conditions (high speeds, abusive front landings) mind you this is tucked behind a windshield. I do agree that you're better off with a cheap phone tethered instead. It's the combination of super high heat and vibration that can really hurt the phone long term. My S7 used to auto shut down from the heat; using navigation in combination with charging and the sun almost let me cook an egg on it!

Reactions: J_F

such as ??? first I'm aware of phones being broken. Sometimes the X-mount fails but there are a number of failsafe options.

Stabilization damage to the current phones with high end cameras indeed might be an issue....lots of cheap iphone 5s around used.

They do indeed get hot and the X mount is good for cooling as opposed to enclosed systems. Made the mistake of sliding my phone under the plastic of the tank bag ....overheated real quick. :unsure:

I use a retired HTC One as my motorcycle GPS. The display is big and super bright -- it's the only display I can remember being able to read easily in full sunlight. It's pounded along for a couple of years now, never given me an ounce of trouble.

I have Iphone 8 and use QuadLock mount on my motorcycle, so far nothing wrong with the phone and no issue with camera. ?

I upgraded my phone this year and I plan to try using my old samsung A5 as a dedicated GPS.
I just need to go find that thread about doing just that. There was good info in their on which apps and route planners to use.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Interesting, I never thought of this, I have the RAM mount on both my bikes, I've been using it for over 2-3 years on my iPhone 6 with out any issues, done a few US trips where the phone would be on for hours using the GPS, but never had any issues. I think the RAM mounts hold the phones pretty tight never saw the screens vibrating so could be mount related. I have cruisers 1300cc with aftermarket pipes so theres probably more vibrations the SS bikes.

Interesting, I never thought of this, I have the RAM mount on both my bikes, I've been using it for over 2-3 years on my iPhone 6 with out any issues, done a few US trips where the phone would be on for hours using the GPS, but never had any issues. I think the RAM mounts hold the phones pretty tight never saw the screens vibrating so could be mount related. I have cruisers 1300cc with aftermarket pipes so theres probably more vibrations the SS bikes.

the iphone 6 (and my iphone 6s) do not have optimal image stabilization, which is what can be potentially damaged with excessive vibration.

Back
Top Bottom