Bike has power, but won't start, clicking noise on key turn | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike has power, but won't start, clicking noise on key turn

Click that link to download a flowchart.

Follow it exactly. Don't skip steps. Don't assume anything. Don't Jump to conclusions. Don't think electricity is mysterious. Don't think it's simple. Don't think you have something special going on.

Start with a fully charged battery and do everything it says in order. It will NOT be wrong.

Did I say fully charged battery? Because if you don't, the results will be meaningless.

if bike was charging shouldn't it stay running if i pull the ground,
ie dead battery, get boost, engine starts, drive vehicle, battery still f'd but you can drive without vehicle dieing

... and don't do stupid things like unhooking your battery while the motor is spinning. They will tell you nothing and possibly damage components that aren't already damaged.

if bike was charging shouldn't it stay running if i pull the ground,
ie dead battery, get boost, engine starts, drive vehicle, battery still f'd but you can drive without vehicle dieing
You will open all the circuits when you do that. Don't do that. Things can run with a dead battery on a good charging system but they can't with no battery and no ground connection.

It's not sarcasm. It's serious. If you want your problem fixed, listen to the advice.

If you want to read into things and get butt hurt and still have a bike with problems then there's nothing I can do.

People get all weird when it comes to wiring. It's not that hard. But it requires systematic methodology and not guesses.

I probably have no people skills but I have great wiring and troubleshooting skills.

I'd double check the stator, as that era Kawasaki was known for burning them up. I replaced a three year old stator on my 2007 ZX-10R, which was a common complaint on zx10r.net at the time. Identical symptoms to what you describe...

(I actually just went back to see how active the forum is, and literally the top of the page is a post about a fried stator in a 2009...)

Success, turned out to be stator, long wait to get part, quick change by a friend and ninja back on road and running great 14.36V
Shown in picture is old stator, you can see the discoloration.
Thanks for all the help,advice, and knowledge. Cheers!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-24 173400.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-24 173400.png
    1 MB · Views: 13
did a quick check started bike while it was running pulled ground cable from battery off leaving only the positive connected
bike died instantly
Don't do that. It's great way to fry the electronics.
It was a valid test when cars/bikes had generators with mechanical regulators, but will cause a modern IC charging system to spike it's voltage.
Before you run out and buy a reg/rec, measure the AC voltage across the stator leads when the motor is running at 3000RPM. Three readings AB, AC, BC should be the same at about 70 volts AC.

You will open all the circuits when you do that. Don't do that. Things can run with a dead battery on a good charging system but they can't with no battery and no ground connection.
I had a 66 chev that would, not that it,s relevant to this discussion……

Back
Top Bottom