Bike cuts out | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike cuts out

I have no doubt that safety cutout switches are a leading cause of failure, but if harmonic vibrations are enough to make it toggle, you probably don't have a strong enough spring on the switch lever. Replace that stupid switch on the side stand with a chunk of rubber on the end of the side stand foot and you have a simple device that does the job of an overly complex one.
21shczin9NL.jpg

Tip over-switch :/ is a mercury switch, it's not going to make contact unless you tip it upside down, gravity and liquid mercury is very predictable.
Hang on. I had a VF500F that had something like this on the end of the sidestand. I was never really sure what it was for, so you're saying it was a safety device? What does it accomplish?

It knocks your side stand up if you forget to put it up and ride away (y) and they work! I tested it once by accident.
Brilliant eh :D

On the Montesa it waits 5 seconds before it does anything. You have to be crashed.
or falling a heck of a long way upside down.
If you're in free fall, the switch should never trip. If you're in free fall for 5 seconds, that is the least of your worries as you've fallen ~400 feet.

Hang on. I had a VF500F that had something like this on the end of the sidestand. I was never really sure what it was for, so you're saying it was a safety device? What does it accomplish?
The squishy bit hits the ground and pulls the kickstand back before the hard bit hits and stands you up in a corner (in theory).

Yep, that's about right. All I know is they work:

five.jpg

Yep, that's about right. All I know is they work:

five.jpg
Well, that shiver one isn't guaranteed to trip in your situation. It's designed to trip when you fall on your side. Theoretically you could loop it, land upside down and the ring doesn't flop over. You've just invented new and better ways to crash.

Anyhow....

OP, have you checked for codes? IIRC the "FI" light or something on the cluster has the ability to flash out codes on the Bandit.

I have a riding buddy who used to own one so I'm reasonably familiar with it.

Edit: It would be crazy to even assume a Trials bike would have a tipover sensor given what they do. But we're not talking a trials bike here, we're talking a street bike, and a reasonably modern electronically controlled one at that.

Well, that shiver one isn't guaranteed to trip in your situation. It's designed to trip when you fall on your side. Theoretically you could loop it, land upside down and the ring doesn't flop over. You've just invented new and better ways to crash.
No, Honda Montesa just has a better switch and PGM-Fi then your example.

Back
Top Bottom