Bike Chain Maintenance | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike Chain Maintenance

I thought you'd actually be demonstrating something. Listening to someone talk about chain maintenance for 6 minutes ain't my thing.

I don't get the whole VLOG thing. I waste enough of my own time without having to sit through someone wasting theirs.

I thought you'd actually be demonstrating something. Listening to someone talk about chain maintenance for 6 minutes ain't my thing.

I don't get the whole VLOG thing. I waste enough of my own time without having to sit through someone wasting theirs.

I bet this isn't the response the o.p. was hoping for. lol

Also, use the search function.

How did I waste your time? Did I force you to watch it? You didn't have to sit and watch it lol. I said exactly what I did and what products I use. Sorry for not showing you me moving the rear tire forwards and spraying the product on the chain.

I pulled the pin on it when I listened to the part about getting more power to the rear wheel......lol.

How did I waste your time? Did I force you to watch it? You didn't have to sit and watch it lol. I said exactly what I did and what products I use. Sorry for not showing you me moving the rear tire forwards and spraying the product on the chain.

tumblr_mcml6qTRx71rxevt4o1_400.jpg

I clicked on your post as I was interested, however in seeing that it was a VLOG I elected to not watch it and therefore my time wasn't wasted (other than the few seconds it took to read that I would have to watch a VLOG). I have no idea as to your VLOG's content, opinion, procedures, products, etc...

I didn't say that you wasted my time, I said that the whole VLOG thing, IMHO, wastes my time. It was a comment on VLOGing, not you. Although, as pointed out, perhaps I should've started another thread about my opinion of VLOGing.

Last edited:
Although it was funny, it was not informative, nor entertaining.
If your chain is so neglected that lubing it will create HP, you're bike has many other issues that need immediate attention.

Firstly, I didn't make that up myself.

And the bolded contradicts itself completely.

And not informative? I told people exactly what I do to maintain my chain on a regular basis. If that's not information then I don't know what is.

I clicked on your post as I was interested, however in seeing that it was a VLOG I elected to not watch it and therefore my time wasn't wasted (other than the few seconds it took to read that I would have to watch a VLOG). I have no idea as to your VLOG's content, opinion, procedures, products, etc...

I didn't say that you wasted my time, I said that the whole VLOG thing, IMHO, wastes my time. It was a comment on VLOGing, not you. Although, as pointed out, perhaps I should've started another thread about my opinion of VLOGing.

How could the vlog thing waste your time? Either you choose to watch them or you don't. You waste your time then. Not the vlogs.

How could the vlog thing waste your time? Either you choose to watch them or you don't. You waste your time then. Not the vlogs.

You could get into an argument while alone in a bathroom, couldn't you (or dare say I, while VLOGing)?

At any rate, still not knowing what you do for your chain as I've yet to view your VLOG, I'll tell you what I do for mine, seeing as that was your original question.

I don't clean it every time I lube it, but I lube it every couple of rides, depending on conditions. I always lube after a ride, when the chain is warm.

When I clean;

I spray the chain with kerosene; it's cheap and arguably the same or better than any purpose-marketed chain cleaner. Let the kero sit for a few minutes.

I scrub with a brush. I've found that the Tirox 360* brush works best for me although that means that every now and again I have to buy a can of Tirox to get a new brush when I wear it out (Tirox is essentially kerosene in a can).

I wipe the chain off then wash it with soapy water (will usually wash the entire bike at this point).

I take the bike for a quick rip which, 1) properly dries the chain by flinging the water out (a towel will only dry the outer surfaces), and 2) warms the chain in preparation for the next step.

I apply lube to the chain on both the inner and outer runs of the inside and outside side plates while spinning the rear wheel (actually I usually employ my 7 year old to spin the wheel while I apply the lube).

Your choice of lube is personal preference. I have used PJ1 for years but currently am trying out a new product that is yet to hit the shelves; Tirox Synthetic Chain Wax which, so far, runs VERY clean and doesn't seem to be picking up much, if any, road grime which, theoretically, should help preserve the chain.

No, I don't work for or have affiliation to Tirox, just ran into someone who provided me a can to try out and review.

EDIT: I just timed myself reading my post; 1:14, including an edit and I'll bet money it took me a LOT less time to type it than you took to record and edit your VLOG. No time wasting here.

Last edited:
look, you're getting nothing but negative feedback and instead of taking it in stride and saying maybe i need to work on my format, you just get defensive. good luck getting a hundred views with that attitude.

look, you're getting nothing but negative feedback and instead of taking it in stride and saying maybe i need to work on my format, you just get defensive. good luck getting a hundred views with that attitude.

I am working on my format, thanks for asking. And I've gotten nothing but positive feedback on other forums. It's easy to give advice people, harder to go out there and actually do it.

And the bolded contradicts itself completely.

And not informative? I told people exactly what I do to maintain my chain on a regular basis. If that's not information then I don't know what is.

Depending on the meaning of "funny" at the moment. Sarcasm 'could' be implied. Let sleeping dogs lie.
As for the original point of the thread (there's another few thousand on this site - you can do a search to see that 'few thousand' is not far off), I'm in the same camp as Coyo, with a couple exceptions: 1) I NEVER wash my chain with water, or soap, or anything except kerosene. 2) I don't spray it all at once - I do spray it in a small section, about 7" - 8" at a time - spray kerosene, clean with Tirox brush, wipe clean, repeat until chain is clean. Then it gets coated with Dupont Multi use ( bought several before they changed the flavour). I always put my bike on the rear stand, start it up and run it in 1st gear while applying Dupont, then run it in 2nd gear and spray the chain from every angle I can. Would not recommend this method, but I trust my Pit Bull stand(s) and haven't had anything go bad yet. My chain usually gets cleaned ~ 1000kms (at one time was daily) and lubed prior to leaving the house - every time I ride.

Last edited:
You could get into an argument while alone in a bathroom, couldn't you (or dare say I, while VLOGing)?

At any rate, still not knowing what you do for your chain as I've yet to view your VLOG, I'll tell you what I do for mine, seeing as that was your original question.

I don't clean it every time I lube it, but I lube it every couple of rides, depending on conditions. I always lube after a ride, when the chain is warm.

When I clean;

I spray the chain with kerosene; it's cheap and arguably the same or better than any purpose-marketed chain cleaner. Let the kero sit for a few minutes.

I scrub with a brush. I've found that the Tirox 360* brush works best for me although that means that every now and again I have to buy a can of Tirox to get a new brush when I wear it out (Tirox is essentially kerosene in a can).

I wipe the chain off then wash it with soapy water (will usually wash the entire bike at this point).

I take the bike for a quick rip which, 1) properly dries the chain by flinging the water out (a towel will only dry the outer surfaces), and 2) warms the chain in preparation for the next step.

I apply lube to the chain on both the inner and outer runs of the inside and outside side plates while spinning the rear wheel (actually I usually employ my 7 year old to spin the wheel while I apply the lube).

Your choice of lube is personal preference. I have used PJ1 for years but currently am trying out a new product that is yet to hit the shelves; Tirox Synthetic Chain Wax which, so far, runs VERY clean and doesn't seem to be picking up much, if any, road grime which, theoretically, should help preserve the chain.

No, I don't work for or have affiliation to Tirox, just ran into someone who provided me a can to try out and review.

EDIT: I just timed myself reading my post; 1:14, including an edit and I'll bet money it took me a LOT less time to type it than you took to record and edit your VLOG. No time wasting here.

I appreciate you taking the time to let me know what you do to maintain your chain. That was the point of this thread all along.

But the bolded ticks me off. The fact that you tell me how I should be spending my time is ridiculous. Just because I like recording videos and editing them, doesn't mean you need to tell me that I shouldn't do that because YOU don't think they are worth it. I don't tell you how to spend your time, do I?

Again, read the 1st line in my write up.

As for what ticked you off;
- I never told you how you should spend your time
- I never told you that you shouldn't do it
- I did tell you how long it took to read it as opposed to what another poster stated was your 6 minute VLOG
- I did wager that I spent less time typing it then you did creating your VLOG
- I did make a comment comparing the times taken after you suggested I was wasting my time
- I will refer you, again, to the top line of my write up again and suggest that maybe you've got to stop looking for arguments that aren't there.

I appreciate you taking the time to let me know what you do to maintain your chain. That was the point of this thread all along.

But the bolded ticks me off. The fact that you tell me how I should be spending my time is ridiculous. Just because I like recording videos and editing them, doesn't mean you need to tell me that I shouldn't do that because YOU don't think they are worth it. I don't tell you how to spend your time, do I?

Again, read the 1st line in my write up.

As for what ticked you off;
- I never told you how you should spend your time
- I never told you that you shouldn't do it
- I did tell you how long it took to read it as opposed to what another poster stated was your 6 minute VLOG
- I did wager that I spent less time typing it then you did creating your VLOG
- I did make a comment comparing the times taken after you suggested I was wasting my time
- I will refer you, again, to the top line of my write up again and suggest that maybe you've got to stop looking for arguments that aren't there.

Yep, my fault. I overreacted. Carry on.

(This is not sarcasm)

Back
Top Bottom