Best GoPro mount? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best GoPro mount?

i think its all personal preference and how determined you are too rig something up to get the desired angle. I usually just youtube a bunch of different motorcycle vids and see which angle i like best and find out whats needed to achieve this angle. There are some guys who will bolt a bar or ski-pole to there passenger foot peg and then get the handle bar mount to have a distant view of you and your bike. I just mounted mine to the side of my helmet with the curved adhesive pad

[video=youtube;8rj8uO63zs8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_590486&feature=iv&s rc_vid=xaVpcUKW1Mo&v=8rj8uO63zs8[/video]

I like mine mounted to the side of my helmet, haven't yet mounted it to the bike but am going to try that this week.

The included Flat and curved mounts will provide you all you need. I prefer top of helmet then to the side. Reason being, the top of the helmet does not require the additional mounting arm. You can use the lowest base and directly attach the GoPro to the top.
This also provides the best POV when angled correctly. (Perspective will be skewed when mounted to the side)

If you are worried about how you'll look. It would be worth it to be to try it on top, then remove it with a hairdryer and discard it. (if that was the choice you'd make. I expect that if you mounted to the side and to the top, after which reviewing both; you'd go with the Top.

If you mount it to your bike, the video content will not be as smooth. When mounted to the rider, the movement is absorbed by the rider.

Good luck!

I actually found the opposite and really like the side mount as I get to see just a bit of my visor and everything that I see. Maybe I'll try the top mount again.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

I have both a GoPro and a Drift, and so far have used the GoPro mounted off the fork stem (via a RAM mount, medium arm, and GoPro tripod connection), and the Drift from the side of the helmet.

The fork stem mount works ok, but it does vibrate enough to be slightly annoying (to me), plus it restricts me from having the GPS mounted on the bike as well. I'll probably sticky mount in front of the gas cap (on the tank) to get around this, but I haven't done it yet.

As for the Drift, I've only had it out once and angled it the wrong way (down instead of up), and ended up getting an amazing 1hr 30mins of my tank, handlebars, and about 3ft in front of the bike, lol. When not running the Drift on the helmet, my plan is to put a sticky mount on the tail of the bike too, that way I can shoot with the GoPro pointing forwards (and getting the dash, handlebars, road, etc), and the Drift pointing backwards if I am on a group ride (to capture other riders behind me).

Here's a still from the fork stem mount:

2qxojrd.jpg

Last edited:
I'm looking to pick up a suction mount. Spoke to some riders at the Lost Boyz wash and they were all about it. Quick and easy angle changes. They also would tie it to bike in case it came loose but said it hasn't happened yet.

I've used suction cup on the gas tank (behind the filler cap, where it's somewhat out of the wind), side mount on the helmet and chest mount.

My favorite is chest mount, because you get a great view of your arms and controls, but its the most difficult to aim. I've only done it 2-3 times, and not once was my angle "perfect"...

It depends on which type of bike you are riding.

Sport touring or somewhat upright position - try the chest mount. Strap on the harness and ride. GoPro has such a wide lens, it grabs everything.

I recently got one of RAM's strap mounts, it goes up to about 3.5" so it fits around my fork tube just fine. Problem is the vibration above ~40km/hr harmonizes with the frame rate on the GoPro and you get this "jelly" effect that does not make for good video. Everything just starts looking fluid. Really weird. So I would recommend against that. I've tried mounting on other points on the bike, I've used the suction mount on my tail cowl and actually the headlight glass, but again, vibrations are pretty noticeable. Mounting somewhere on your body is probably best.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input. Anyone here use the suction cup mount? How safe/secure is it?

It's safe enough, but there is always a chance it will fall off. You have to clean the surface where suction cap goes, etc etc, but there is always one or two stories a year of GoPro being lost/fallen off.

Used the flat and curved mounts on the bike and they stick no issues there. I also have used the suction cup on the tank, the windscreen, front cowl and the side fairings....no issues yet....

I've got one curve mount on myhelmet but have never used it yet...I need more screws and mounting hardware to set it up properly and not have to take them on and off.

talking about about mounts I broke this thingy...any one have a spare laying around they'd sell me?

untitled.30_preview_featured.jpg

I have the GoPro Hero 3 black edition, used a curved mount on the left side of my helmet.
Good view, can see both speedo and RPM. I can't tell it's there unless I'm booting on the highway.

Thanks for all the input. Anyone here use the suction cup mount? How safe/secure is it?

I always get paranoid when I use it, but it sticks VERY Well. Just make sure before you speed of.

It's held with speeds onward of 200 km/h. Rated to 200mph if i recall correctly.

this is on the tank, and side of my bike.

Here is a few angles in a vid i put together. the side shot looking at the forks and looking up at me was with the suction cup and it held well but i recommend tethering it to something cause my last attempt at this same angle didnt go as well lol

https://vimeo.com/63982778

Here is a few angles in a vid i put together. the side shot looking at the forks and looking up at me was with the suction cup and it held well but i recommend tethering it to something cause my last attempt at this same angle didnt go as well lol

https://vimeo.com/63982778
So I just learned that you lean twice as much and go twice as fast when it is raining..... than I do on a perfect day!!
Impressive

Back
Top Bottom