best cellular provider for motorcycle tracker? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

best cellular provider for motorcycle tracker?

For what it's worth guys, I ended up buying a dedicated 10,000mah android device that is waterproof here:

https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_733413.html?wid=1817324

According to the some tech sites, the phone is able to last up to 33 days on LTE, 55 Days on 3G, and 77 days on 2g.

Just waiting for it to arrive. :D

In the meantime, on my other android phone I was able to install gps tracking software that uses both GPS and cellular, AND wifi which actually works great when at home or parked around areas that have known networks.
I can control all aspects of the tracking in real time, even see the speed, the device is travelling at and where it's headed. I can also remotely control the device via vnc/teamviewer based services.

In addition to the awesome tracking stuff, I was able to set up tilt sensors and use the accelerometers to send me push notifications, emails, AND sms messages to my personal device.

Basically, the ultimate custom tracking unit.

The downside is, I still need to pick a mobile carrier and plan. Right now I have it all running on wifi.
Pretty stoked!!

When I finally get it the way I want it, I might make a tutorial if others are interested in doing similar stuff. I highly recommend if you're a techy like myself, you look into the Tasker app for android to utilize all those features for custom installs.

You are going to hide a cell phone on your bike for tracking? What if someone just removes the phone? Takes thieves 2 minutes to pick up a bike and put it in the back of a van.

Personally I am content with theft insurance. I have a BMW alarm that came with the bike and use it but have never had it go off before. Think it would really only get people to step back if they tried sitting on my bike when I am not there.

Two years ago, I had a coworker with a BMW HP4. It was stolen from his condo garage, but since he had the cellular tracker, he was quickly able to find where it was (and police recovered it). I don't have any other details on this story...

Two years ago, I had a coworker with a BMW HP4. It was stolen from his condo garage, but since he had the cellular tracker, he was quickly able to find where it was (and police recovered it). I don't have any other details on this story...

Sure it works some of the time, maybe the majority, just wondering if all the effort is worth it when you have insurance. If someone stole my bike I would probably feel better getting a new one rather then the stolen one back after them doing who knows what to it.

I'm guessing this is for people who have bikes that are ineligible for theft/comprehensive coverage?

maybe
or someone that is very fond of a bike that is difficult to replace
because of rarity, or customizations, or both
and insurance claims of any kind are a PITA

... or someone that doesn't like when his/her stuff gets stolen.
Getting stuff stolen sucks LARGE and is a MAJOR hassle, even if it is covered by insurance

Know a couple guys that have recovered bikes via GPS. I finally did finish my tracking project and it's fantastic :D Can locate the bike in real time now. After having one bike stolen years ago, I wasn't going to have it taken again. My bike actually sends me a whatsapp message now if my bike senses vibration. They won't even get it on the truck without me being notified, even when I'm at work with no cell signal (since whatsapp works on wifi!)

What you can do these days with android devices put to shame anything on the market. I've got hibernation mode, wifi support, mobile support, can control the cameras and microphones etc. I can even record audio of the thieves :D

As per my original post though, I chose to go with Fido for 3gb of data for $15/month if anyone is wondering.

I think I want a couple of these, do you think they are any good?

Think I might just ask for one for christmas.

Honestly, if you have an old phone laying around just use that.

I love having 2 way communication with my bike. I text it all the arm/disarm/hibernate commands and it even gives me status updates periodically with remaining battery and gps coordinates :) So much better than any store bought product, and customization!

I know people are going to ask, but I accomplished this with a basic android phone using Tasker and some other random tools. If you have a rooted device, you'll be able to enable various battery saving features. My alarm lasts about 6 or 7 weeks or so on a 2 hour charge. It's up to you if you wire it into your bike ACC to charge while driving. I didnt bother with that because it lasts so long.

Only old phone I have is the one I'm using, the 5S still works awesome for me. ... needs to work on that.

Honestly, if you have an old phone laying around just use that.

I love having 2 way communication with my bike. I text it all the arm/disarm/hibernate commands and it even gives me status updates periodically with remaining battery and gps coordinates :) So much better than any store bought product, and customization!

I know people are going to ask, but I accomplished this with a basic android phone using Tasker and some other random tools. If you have a rooted device, you'll be able to enable various battery saving features. My alarm lasts about 6 or 7 weeks or so on a 2 hour charge. It's up to you if you wire it into your bike ACC to charge while driving. I didnt bother with that because it lasts so long.

Curious as to the other random tools you mention and their use/function.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do your research here. this is an American site.
Had mine for 5 years. Reliable.
Just be careful they don`t double bill you on your yearly payments.

also you can suspend service for about $3.50 a month for 6 months.

I wish I knew that as I only use my Spot for a couple of months a year. Mine lets me send out a pre-programmed message, usually "Parked for the night" to let the family know I'm not lying in a ditch. I only used the tracker for my safety. The bike is insured.

Back
Top Bottom