Best Battery Charger | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best Battery Charger

Hardwrkr13

Site Supporter
I have a CTEK that I cycle through all the battery’s in the house (cars, tractor, sleds, motorcycle, etc) but it’s been dropped lots and time to replace it. I like it because of the desulphate (pulse) phase and I’ve never had a battery fail so it must work well. I do have one lithium battery in the group so it would be great if the one charger could work on that one also.
Used to be just Optimate, BT, CTEK to chose from but now there’s lots out there these days.
Anyone have one they’d recommend and why?

Good question. I was curious myself as I have both regular and Lithium.

This is what I came up with.

Hope this helps.

I have a little ctek (3300), a dumb motomaster (2-6A) and two bigger nocos (G26000). Meh for all of them. The smart chargers can be annoying and refuse to charge a dead battery. Also they love to put one button and 20 functions so you need to try to figure out whether you need short presses or long presses to get to the function you want. Cheap bastards, make it simple. The dumb charger takes a crack at anything but will obviously boil batteries. I use it to get a dead battery going and then flip to a smart charger to finish it off. The smart chargers have desulphate options. I run it occasionally but have little faith in it.

I bought this from F9 - has selectable option for both battery types.
Using for the second season now - no issues.

That's the one I use as well for both my Lithium and AGM batteries.

I also have an Optimate 4 and a CTEK.

I can't say that I've ever owned a bad charger. Not sure what makes one smart charger better than the others. Most of the higher end models do desulfation.

I use the old skool Battery Tender junior it's probably 10+years old. I usually replace the battery around the 3 year mark so buying a new super duper wonder charger is not worth it.

Does it switch automatically from one type battery to another?

No, pushing that button "select" in the middle switches between lead acid and Lithium:

junior-800-12v-selectable-battery-charger-022-0199-dl-wh.jpg

That's the one I use as well for both my Lithium and AGM batteries.

I also have an Optimate 4 and a CTEK.

I can't say that I've ever owned a bad charger. Not sure what makes one smart charger better than the others. Most of the higher end models do desulfation.
Looking at Optimate and CTEK I don’t see one that will desulphate and work on both Lith and Lead-acid batteries in the same unit. They either desulphate or work on both types, but not both in one charger unless I’m missing something.

Looking at Optimate and CTEK I don’t see one that will desulphate and work on both Lith and Lead-acid batteries in the same unit. They either desulphate or work on both types, but not both in one charger unless I’m missing something.

Someone will probably correct me on this, but I don't think you need (or are able) to desulfate a lithium battery. Desulfators use pulse charging with high voltages (>15V) to dissolve crystalized sulfate. Lithium batteries are chemically different and their BMS (Battery Management System) doesn't respond to the high voltages outputted by pulse chargers very well.

I really like the small CTEK I have but it was much cheaper to acquire then

I use the old skool Battery Tender junior it's probably 10+years old. I usually replace the battery around the 3 year mark so buying a new super duper wonder charger is not worth it.

Same, and I've actually never had to replace the battery outside of the one in my current bike that was weak to begin with.

Don't take care of my batteries either. Leave the bike as is over the winter and plug it in for a couple days before the weather warms up in the spring

I have three of these chargers :

As far as I can tell it does not do lithium nor is there mention of desulphation. I like it because it has 3 outputs, is inexpensive compared to the comparable Noco, and comes with SAE leads from the unit and then 3 sets each of ring terminal or clamp connectors.

SAE is important to me so I can run extensions to my sleds which may be as far as 40’ from the unit.

Support for multiple banks and cost were important because I needed so many units to charge a whack of batteries. Right now I have 3 dirt bikes, one road bike, and two sleds directly connected. The third unit is charging batteries for my lawn tractor, my fishing boat, and a spare sled battery.

I also have a Battery Tender and Noco for when all that is still not enough.

Someone will probably correct me on this, but I don't think you need (or are able) to desulfate a lithium battery. Desulfators use pulse charging with high voltages (>15V) to dissolve crystalized sulfate. Lithium batteries are chemically different and their BMS (Battery Management System) doesn't respond to the high voltages outputted by pulse chargers very well.
I think you’re likely correct which is why I can’t find an all in one unit. Oh well.

Followup question: I see 2-3amp models and 5 amp models in the same product line. 5a models are a bit more expensive but still state I can use them on bikes/etc. Does the higher amp just means it’ll charge a low batt faster or does it have any other benefits? I mostly just need to maintain and desulphate/optimize my battery’s.

Followup question: I see 2-3amp models and 5 amp models in the same product line. 5a models are a bit more expensive but still state I can use them on bikes/etc. Does the higher amp just means it’ll charge a low batt faster or does it have any other benefits? I mostly just need to maintain and desulphate/optimize my battery’s.

Link to the 5A models?

The amperage doesn't really tell you anything about the charging methodology.

There are dumb 5A models that are able to charge a larger battery very fast, but rely on you to pull the plug before you boil all the electrolyte away.

Then there are smart 5A models that only ramp up the amperage during the bulk phase, then taper off the amps during the absorption and float phases. All 5A may be used during bulk charging, but then it goes down to <1A during the maintenance phases.

Link to the 5A models?

The amperage doesn't really tell you anything about the charging methodology.

There are dumb 5A models that are able to charge a larger battery very fast, but rely on you to pull the plug before you boil all the electrolyte away.

Then there are smart 5A models that only ramp up the amperage during the bulk phase, then taper off the amps during the absorption and float phases. All 5A may be used during bulk charging, but then it goes down to <1A during the maintenance phases.
There’s the Noco 5a model. CTEK is the “MXS 5.0” model.

I use the Optimate 1 Duo, $54 all in at GP Bikes. Senses type of battery and desulfates as well.

Used a Battery Tender Jr. with my ST, but got Optimate in '21 when I purchased the Tracer. Optimate has more features than the BT Jr (which was $30 in 2003) and it seems to be a decent unit, good value, all I need.

Noco 10a .works great, lots of features
I’m thinking the Noco 5a is top of my list. Enough power for what I need, has a desulphate mode, and works with both Lead-acid or lithium batts. Bonus is that it’s available at Canadian Tire and since I always get gift cards for there at this time of the year it’s win-win. I’m sure it’ll go on sale sometime soon as well if it’s like most CT items.

Back
Top Bottom