baught bike thats sat for 3 years | GTAMotorcycle.com

baught bike thats sat for 3 years

nikos1965

I got a deal on a friends bike he no longer could ride and has sat for years in an apartment garage uncovered. Its filthy dirty somewhat greasy, one tire low in air, dead battery and I imagine really old gas in tank. I dont know where to begin with this but wanted it as a project for myself to clean up and get it going, just dont know where to start. The obvious first I guess to either charge the battery or replace it and than I imagine figure out a way to drain the tank and lines which I never done before and not sure if i could that. I know the oil should be changed out as well. Is it ok to powerwash first and than get into it? I should mention its a 2017 with 1000k on it so its definetly worth quite a bit running. Anybody have any suggestions?

Make and model would really help.

I very rarely powerwash bikes. It is easy to blast water into places it isn't wanted and cost yourself a lot of time and money.

As for what needs done, before trying to start it I would get the old gas out, try to charge the battery, check the oil (and maybe dribble a bit out of the drain plug to see if there was water in the sump). Once it's running, I would get it up to temp and then change the oil. Before riding it, I would replace brake fluid, probably tires too and check things over carefully.

Are you fixing this for you or to make money? Doing things the right way for safety is not the way to make the most money with the bike.

Last edited:
I bought my friends 2006 yamaha r6 in Q4/21. 7000kms on the clock and sat in his garage from 2008-Q4/21.

First thing we did was drain the old gas, filled with new gas and bought a new battery. Fired up no problem. Trailered it back to my house Nov2021 and in this month trailered it to the shop to get spring service (new tires, new fluids, replace fork seals and fluids) for the heavy lifting work.

Make and model would really help.

I very rarely powerwash bikes. It is easy to blast water into places it isn't wanted and cost yourself a lot of time and money.

As for what needs done, before trying to start it I would get the old gas out, try to charge the battery, check the oil (and maybe dribble a bit out of the drain plug to see if there was water in the sump). Once it's running, I would get it up to temp and then change the oil. Before riding it, I would replace brake fluid, probably tires too and check things over carefully.

Are you fixing this for you or to make money? Doing things the right way for safety is not the way to make the most money with the bike.
I will probably be selling the bike once it's cleaned up and running. It's a Triumph Bonneville Cafe Racer. I will take your advice on the washing and leave out the powerwash method .. makes sence. Now I'v looked up on youtube as far as draining tank and lines and found nothing but will continue looking. I am not sure what you meant by " doing right way for safety not way for most money ". Thanks for your reply

I will probably be selling the bike once it's cleaned up and running. It's a Triumph Bonneville Cafe Racer. I will take your advice on the washing and leave out the powerwash method .. makes sence. Now I'v looked up on youtube as far as draining tank and lines and found nothing but will continue looking. I am not sure what you meant by " doing right way for safety not way for most money ". Thanks for your reply
If people (or dealers) are preparing a bike to sell, they do the minimum required to pass a safety. Often not even fluid changes. If I was preparing it for me (or wanted to gain some karma), I would go through the bike and do far more than that (as mentioned, oil, brake fluid, tires to start. Maybe more once I looked at the bike).

Is this bike factory stock or did someone covert it to a cafe racer? Getting safety on the conversions is often a nightmare as many conversions remove things required to pass.

If people (or dealers) are preparing a bike to sell, they do the minimum required to pass a safety. Often not even fluid changes. If I was preparing it for me (or wanted to gain some karma), I would go through the bike and do far more than that (as mentioned, oil, brake fluid, tires to start. Maybe more once I looked at the bike).

Is this bike factory stock or did someone covert it to a cafe racer? Getting safety on the conversions is often a nightmare as many conversions remove things required to pass.
this is a factory stock Cafe Racer and not a conversion. I understand now what you meant .. thanks. Will get it home first on a tow and first task to figure out how to drain the tank and lines. Being unsure if Im keeping it or selling it .. I will go through it like its staying.

Yeah, get the old fuel out for sure before trying to start it. Any idea if he at least put stabilizer in it before it went into storage?

Is the tank full right to the top?

If not, take a peek inside the tank - any rust?

Battery will be shot for sure. Walmart has decently priced (if not top of the line) replacements in many powersport sizes. Follow the directions on flooding and activating/first charging the battery carefully if you want it to last - it takes some time, so get the battery a day before you actually need it.

Once. you get the old fuel out, If it wasn't stabilized, the possibility of an injector being wonky exists, but you won't know until you start it. Preemptively you could give it a hefty dose of Seafoam in the first tank of gas. I know it's looked upon as "snake oil" by some, but I've had enough first-hand positive experiences with it over the years to be willing to suggest it. it certainly can't hurt. Then fill the tank with whatever octane fuel it needs.

Install new battery.

Check oil before trying to start. Plan on an oil change ASAP. Doing that even before you start it for the first time would be what I'd do personally - it'll take longer to drain completely cold (so be prepared to leave the drain plug out for 30-60 minutes to get a good solid drain), but you won't be immediately pumping questionable old oil through the engine at the first start up this way.

And then see what happens! On the first start make sure to let it warm 100% up to operating temperature and leave it there for 10-15 minutes to solidly burn out any moisture in the engine and exhaust. If you can do so legally somehow, ride it after verifying brakes work to warm up the drivetrain as well.

Back
Top Bottom