Battery Voltage | GTAMotorcycle.com

Battery Voltage

Rockwell

I've charged my battery, disconnected from the bike, and it's output reads 16V when disconnected?

Is this high enough to do damage to the bikes electrical system? It should be 12V.

At over 3,500 rpm most bikes will charge the battery at ~14-15v, so 16v will not harm the bike or battery. This is normal. Below 3,500 rpm the bike will not be charging the battery so electrical power will come from the battery.

Are you using a slow trickle charger? Any charger over 2a might harm your small motorcycle battery.

This is 16V completely disconnect from the bike.

I am using a Sun Charger Model BC 35. I borrowed it. This thing is so old I couldn't even find a google image of it.

I should invest in a decent tender. Just hope it didn't do any damage to the electrical.

I've never seen a battery (car, bike, or truck) hold anything higher than 13.9 V, once it's disconnected from the charging system. I'd have your meter checked. BTW - was the battery really hot after charging ?

I hadn't charged it since a few months ago. I assumed it was a dead battery, but it measured 16V. I didn't notice if it was hot when I did charge it.

I tried to put it on the charger before I was able to get a hold of a multimeter to measure the voltage, and the current from the charger read 3A, which seemed high. When previously charging, it was in the mA range.

I just put the battery back in and tried a start. When doing so, I measure the voltage at starter relay. Before starting, the voltage reads the same as the battery voltage, but, upon pressing the start button, voltage drops to 2V. I'm not sure if this is a defective battery or starter?

Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom