Battery dead midride. Stuck on lakeshore... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Battery dead midride. Stuck on lakeshore...

llaen

Site Supporter
I was doing about 70 down Lakeshore when the bike just shutdown. Luckily it was near a railway crossing so I just coasted across it and off the road. At least I didn't have to worry about having to push the bike up to the next intersection or stopping in the way of traffic.

No power to anything. I had a problem a few days ago but a jump start got it going. Back then it was just weak and not dead. I'll get cables from canadian tire nearby and flag down someone for help. The problem is I don't see how it would help. Seems completely gone.Checked connections but couldn't find anything. Completely disconnected and reconnected it-nothing. Ideas? I'm off to canadian tire...

Last edited:
Ideas? I'm off to canadian tire...
Your charging system is not functioning correctly. Once you get it home, diagnose the charging system and replace the defective components. Could be R/R, could be a stator, could be a wiring harness, could be a connector etc. Hope your trip home isn't too painful.

Just called for a tow. I guess all things considered it could've bern worse. Instead of 5-6 km from home (in Toronto), it could've happened halfway to hamilton (where I was headed).

It may just be a pooched battery? Do you know the last time it was replaced?

His situation does not look to be merely a dead battery.

would the stator or rr? throw an "error code", or is it time for detective multimeter?

I'm gonna charge the battery tonight, unplug it tomorrow for a couple of hours or something and try to charge it again. If it takes a while then I guess it's probably the battery (fingers crossed).

Not too hopeful though.

I'm gonna charge the battery tonight, unplug it tomorrow for a couple of hours or something and try to charge it again. If it takes a while then I guess it's probably the battery (fingers crossed).Not too hopeful though.
It's gonna take more that just a charger to fix your bikes charging issue.

I had a Suzuki 550 that gave me the occasional amount of grief as you are describing. It was the main fuse... had a crack in it that could barely be seen. Load test your battery... if it load tests okay, then start simple (like the main fuse) and then look for more complicated issues.

I charged the battery overnight and hooked it up today, but was in for a surprise - still no juice!

Turned out it was the fuse (sorry for the misleading topic...).

I'm not sure whether I should be happy about it or not. Changing it is simple, but I don't see any obvious reasons for it to blow so it may very well do that again at any point (assuming that the bike starts fine after replacing it). Checking the entire system is a little over my head.

The manual claims that it's somewhat possible for it to blow without any wiring problem but due to corrosion and what not. The terminals do look kind of ugly. Fingers crossed?

By the way, thanks for all the help! Once the bike is running, I'm still gonna do the load test. Now I'm paranoid...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom