batteries | GTAMotorcycle.com

batteries

Walmart battery has lasted in my bike for 3-4 years now, so far.

$22??? What the hell. Seems sketchy. I've never bought a battery that cheap. Add in the $15 shipping and it gets closer to a price that makes sense, but still suspiciously low. Given that an equivalent capacity Yuasa is ~$100, I would probably only buy the upstart if I needed a battery to sell with the bike.

Anyone know how good Parts Unlimited batteries are ? I bought my new-to-me bike with one last year and despite keeping it on the tender all winter, it was starting to show signs of impending death like difficulty starting in cold weather (7-8 degrees), weakening cranks after a few starts etc.

I did replace it with a Yuasa already, but just curious how these batteries are, given it retails for almost $85 less than the Yuasa. Not sure how long the previous owner had it. Given the bike is from 2014, I'm guessing not long.

Also my bike (1k cc, inline 4) takes a good 2-3 seconds of cranking to fire up the first time in the morning even with the new battery but does start up on the first attempt. Is this normal ? My 650 (2 cyl) used to fire up within a second.

Last edited:
an engine with more cyls will take longer for the crank sensor to determine fire position
and the inertia of 4 stationary pistons is more to overcome than 2

an engine with more cyls will take longer for the crank sensor to determine fire position
and the inertia of 4 stationary pistons is more to overcome than 2
Thanks! Had a feeling it's something to do with 2 vs 4 cyl. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to engine technicalities.

and was the battery marked like the one in my link?
No, I had to add distilled water and put mine together, and it's a little more powerful.
wt4xUxv.jpg

Nothing but good luck with the batteries from Kapscomoto out in Durham.
Cheap, and at their prices, you can get a fresh one each year for 4 years for the cost of a Yuasa.

On year 3 for my vfr, despite my erratic riding schedule. Always on a tender for hiatuses more than a few weeks.

Cheap, and at their prices, you can get a fresh one each year for 4 years for the cost of a Yuasa.
On year 3 for my vfr, despite my erratic riding schedule. Always on a tender for hiatuses more than a few weeks.
Or you can buy the Yuasa, have it last 5-7 years save some $$$ and not have to go shopping every spring ?

I have had good results from Kapsco too, their batteries have stood up as well as anything else I have.

Princess Auto also has bike batteries. They list 1 for my bike, one year warranty IIFC.
Like said above, get what you pay for.

Or you can buy the Yuasa, have it last 5-7 years save some $$$ and not have to go shopping every spring ?
Oh I hear ya.. I'm on year 3 of my first Kapsco battery, still good.
I have a 4 year old one, but that bike has been in storage the past 2 years, can't really test if it's still good.

Not eco friendly, but I am personally confident in them for 2+ years despite my erratic riding schedule with proper off season care.

my experience is that the longest lasting batteries are the Yuasa batteries that come with a new bike from Japan.The replacement Yuasa battery that you buy from the bike shops never seem to last as long.

My cheapie Walmart battery is going on 4 years now with no problems and my big V-Twin is a bear to start.

On the flipside, Had a buddy put one in his bike a few weeks ago and it shorted a cell in 2 weeks and had to be replaced, but that was certainly an exception, not the rule. I'd still buy batteries from them, despite this - the upside to both of the above is if you need warranty you just take it to any Walmart, anywhere, and you go get a brand new one off the shelf. They don't question anything as they don't have the equipment to even test them. You just get a new one. Simple, and convenient - there's Walmarts everywhere.

I had Walmart batteries in my 2 Jetskis as well that lasted the entire 3-4 years we owned them and may very well still be going if the new owner maintained them properly the way I did.

Maintenance is key, particularly being on a proper battery tender come the winter months.

WallyWorld is known for junk
but they do also carry some quality

I think it's the $21.99 price tag that makes us dubious

Back
Top Bottom