Basement Bike Thefts Now Non-Existent? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Basement Bike Thefts Now Non-Existent?

Pegassus

Site Supporter
So I live in a 22-floor highrise building and this weekend I saw a group of 4 young guys pull up into the parking lot with spanking new supersport bikes. I walked to the parking lot and chatted with them. They live in the same building too. So I asked them where they left their bikes overnight, they said in the basement. I asked them if they weren't afraid of them being stolen, they said "No" with a sneer on their faces, as if I was asking something ridiculous. Our area is crime-prone if you walk to the north a few blocks (I live in the Jane/Finch area, about 1.5 km's away).

The only reason I don't have a brand new bike is because I thought it would be suicide to leave it in the basement. My oldie sport-tourer from 2006 will never get stolen. So now I'm thinking of probably buying a new one. I have not seen threads of bikes getting stolen in basements lately, not like years ago when there was a thread here every day literally. I think I'm going to wait a couple months to see if these guys' bikes get stolen first, I walked around in the basement and sure enough I saw their bikes the other night, all covered with black canvasses.

Has anyone heard here of bike thefts in highrise basements in the GTA still being rampant?

Okay after posting this and scrolling down, the last thread on this page is of a stolen YZF-R6 from an underground parking lot, so I guess my question has been answered.

We had a Grom stolen last summer. North Scarborough. There are 5 other bikes there, covers moved but not the bikes.
One guy and a mini-van. Security cams got some great video. Crime of opportunity??
The thief got busted with a warehouse full of stolen stuff. The Grom had just been thrown up on the pile.
The owner got it back, but it was trash, insurance bought a new one.

Last edited:
Yes, every other week in the bike community (whatsapp chats etc) bikes are being lifted from underground parking areas. Make/model doesn't seem to matter much.

Do they get lifted off the street in downtown T.O. during the day ?

I've been hesitant to park on the street in downtown. My bike is a thief magnet.

Do they get lifted off the street in downtown T.O. during the day ?

I've been hesitant to park on the street in downtown. My bike is a thief magnet.
Fireblade? No one wants a HONDA. :geek:

I recall a few years back people watched an R1 get stolen on Front Street in broad daylight among a plethora of other bikes.

Van rolled up, 2 guys jumped out and man handled it into the back. Gone.

If it were my Supersport i wouldn't be leaving it on the streets if i wanted it to still be there when i got off work.

Fireblade? No one wants a HONDA. :geek:

I recall a few years back people watched an R1 get stolen on Front Street in broad daylight among a plethora of other bikes.

Van rolled up, 2 guys jumped out and man handled it into the back. Gone.

If it were my Supersport i wouldn't be leaving it on the streets if i wanted it to still be there when i got off work.

Lol sucks. Perhaps I should get an sv650, doubt anybody would lift that

I had a car taken from an apartment underground, along with at least a half dozen other vehicles.
The only one broken into, but not taken, was an old English sportscar with a manual choke.

Were the young gentlemen with the bikes wearing colours? Maybe their bikes are safe even if others aren't. There are some definite upsides to employing your own enforcement that isn't bound by the constraints of law.

I always get comprehensive coverage, and it's a no-brainer at max $50/yr. Well worth not having to worry about it and just park wherever I want.

Acquire parking space, put a big used steel storage container on that space, bolt it to the ground, turn it into a huge human sized mouse trap, park bike inside as bait. (y)

Yes, every other week in the bike community (whatsapp chats etc) bikes are being lifted from underground parking areas. Make/model doesn't seem to matter much.
Wow for real? I thought only supersports of recent models were stolen, that cruisers, Gladius, oldies, and others were left untouched?

Wow for real? I thought only supersports of recent models were stolen, that cruisers, Gladius, oldies, and others were left untouched?

It's definitely more common for sportbikes to be stolen. Desirable parts, and ever tried lifting a cruiser into a van?

... I saw a group of 4 young guys pull up into the parking lot with spanking new supersport bikes. I walked to the parking lot and chatted with them. They live in the same building too. So I asked them where they left their bikes overnight, they said in the basement. I asked them if they weren't afraid of them being stolen, they said "No" with a sneer on their faces, as if I was asking something ridiculous.....

Let me understand this picture - 4 young men (not just one or two but four no less) with brand new SuperSports, likely paying sky-high insurance into the thousands, laughing at your suggestion their bikes might be stolen in a high crime rate area. I'd say they scored some big cash for who knows what and they are not afraid of theft since they have "immunity" in the neigbourhood. Maybe they are the problem and not potential victims?

Let me understand this picture - 4 young men (not just one or two but four no less) with brand new SuperSports, likely paying sky-high insurance into the thousands, laughing at your suggestion their bikes might be stolen in a high crime rate area. I'd say they scored some big cash for who knows what and they are not afraid of theft since they have "immunity" in the neigbourhood. Maybe they are the problem and not potential victims?

No, they are legit, I saw them this weekend coming out and going riding, then coming inside again. These guys have no clue what they're in for. Like I said, I will wait until their bikes get stolen. One of them told me he has a GPS tracker and that's why he is not worried, jesus he is naive.

Back
Top Bottom