Base flash vs Custom flash vs Dyno tune | GTAMotorcycle.com

Base flash vs Custom flash vs Dyno tune

Ultra07

I have a 2018 MT07 with stock intake and a full Akrapovic carbon exhaust. I assume my bike is running lean and it’s also jerky with the on-off throttle. Speedlabs says they can do a “base flash” which removes restrictions to smooth it out, and isn’t mod specific, or dyno and flash which dials your specific bike in for its mods.

Places like 2wdw and vcycle have specific flashes for many different mod setups, which doesn’t seem like the case with the Speedlabs base flash.

Should I be looking elsewhere for a place that will do a ecu flash for my specific setup, or is the Speedlabs base flash what I want?

I’ve never gotten any bikes flashed or tuned before so I’m a bit confused on what most people get done.

I think you'd have to ask what exactly is a "base flash". Ideally, the best solution is a dyno tune to YOUR specific bike and mods but that's also the most expensive.

There are tunes out there that have been designed for your model and likely with an aftermkt exhaust but they were done on someone else's MT07 and perhaps not with your exact Akra exhaust. Would it be as dialed in as the dyno tune? No but it's a lot cheaper and likely good enough. Maybe that's what's meant by a base flash?

I think you'd have to ask what exactly is a "base flash". Ideally, the best solution is a dyno tune to YOUR specific bike and mods but that's also the most expensive.

There are tunes out there that have been designed for your model and likely with an aftermkt exhaust but they were done on someone else's MT07 and perhaps not with your exact Akra exhaust. Would it be as dialed in as the dyno tune? No but it's a lot cheaper and likely good enough. Maybe that's what's meant by a base flash?
They said the base flash removes restrictions from the factory such as fuel cut on decel, but it’s not a tune where they use a premade one for your model of exhaust and intake.

I guess I should look elsewhere for a place that already has my specific setup and can just flash that, as the dyno is pretty expensive. Thanks for your reply.

You're welcome and yeah I wouldn't bother with that base flash thing to be honest. What you're proposing is what I'd also do.

I have MT-09 with Yoshi and did my full dyno tune up at Speedlabs. I have no point of reference as it was my first ecu tune up, but for this particular setup I was able to set all parameters I wanted - very aggressive Mode 1, Linear for Mode 2 (nfever touched Mode 3 and 4), also they set my red line higher as I wanted and def removed restrictions (top speed I tested and it is def higher than default I had) and smoothed throttle response. Bike def feels much better now - way smother, way more alive and surprisingly better fuel economy :) def not cheap too, but easy and convenient as I live very close to them. just my experience FWIW.

They said the base flash removes restrictions from the factory such as fuel cut on decel, but it’s not a tune where they use a premade one for your model of exhaust and intake.

I guess I should look elsewhere for a place that already has my specific setup and can just flash that, as the dyno is pretty expensive. Thanks for your reply.
I wouldnt put a lot of faith in a tuner that says they have a tune for brand X intake and brand Y exhaust. That will be an educated guess at best unless they had tested your exact setup on a dyno. Hell, it may be the "base tune" with more marketing and money attached. Every engine is different, intakes flow differently, exhausts (full-systems) flow differently. While it is the most money, putting your bike on a dyno gets rid of the guessing and will give better results than any map based on another bike.

I got my FZ09 flashed by vcycle about 7 years ago and my GSXR by speedlabs. Both did a great job i think Speedlabs used the FTECU software and i think vcycle uses a woolich version which he has fine tuned over the years. Maybe you only need a flash, not a dyno tune to take care of the on/off throttle. Speedlabs is local, which helps as vcycle you have to mail in your ecu.

Back
Top Bottom