Austrian MotoGP crash.!!!!! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Austrian MotoGP crash.!!!!!

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Perhaps the worst crash I've seen and a couple of notable riders risked serious injury or death by inches.

Was not sure where to post this.

Last edited:
Thank you ..

EfjX5CpXoAA1jSv

I watched this many times and I'm still in shock as to how more people were not injured. Incredible...

Rossi could have been killed... I still cannot beleive this.

Also, glad that all riders involved have come out (relatively) Unscathed.

A proper 300kmph crash that one!

I would retire if I were Rossi after that incident.... Inches from certain death. In all my years of watching bike racing I have never seen anything like that scenario.

I would retire if I were Rossi after that incident.... Inches from certain death. In all my years of watching bike racing I have never seen anything like that scenario.
You don't remember the highsides of the two stroke days? Shwantz Rainey Doohan.Weee...BLAM!

What gear is going to help you when you get hit in the back with a 350 lb bike with a closing speed of more than 100 km/h?

Maybe a radar triggered zorb ball sized airbag but in this case, it would have gone off causing him to crash and may have been big enough for the bike to hit him. It would be like a hard hat that causes tons of minor collisions in the hope that one day it fends off a major one.

Last edited:
I'd assume, that with gear, you're less likely to explode due to your skin rupturing. So I guess there's more protection? lol (Would totally still die from kinetic force transfer, the suit will just keep your guts in.)

I'm ATGATT btw. Just theory-crafting some horrendous ****.

Countermeasures against this sort of thing happening again are (1) track design and layout, and (2) rider behaviour. Rider behaviour cannot be counted on, because everyone makes mistakes at some point, so it comes back to track design and layout.

And the Red Bull Ring nee A1-Ring has already had its share of criticism from MotoGP riders since they started using it in 2016.

The extremely high-speed left kink (essentially top speed) followed by extremely sharp right (60 - 80 km/h) leads to the possibility of a crashed bike overtaking the riders that are following the track, which is exactly what happened here. That the right turn is SO slow means the barrier on the inside cannot encroach on the trajectory of the errant bike enough to stop it without itself presenting an impact hazard - thus you get the situation here, where Zarco's bike just barely clipped the edge of the air fence and kept going, and Morbidelli's ghost-rode across the track barely slowing down, and they crossed the path of bikes on the track at a steep angle.

There is enough land in the area to do something about this. There isn't time to do it before next weekend. Whether there's money to do something about it before next year ... we shall see.

Back
Top Bottom