Attempted motorcycle theft (with damage) -- Best shop to take a Honda for repairs | GTAMotorcycle.com

Attempted motorcycle theft (with damage) -- Best shop to take a Honda for repairs

conundrum

Posted to a few Facebook groups but wanted to post here too for suggestions. Long story short Friday night my condo got hit with a number of attempted bike thefts, including mine with a cut ignition.

Already talked to the police and waiting on insurance to call me back on Monday. For getting it fixed, what's the best place for Honda bikes these days? I know in the past Markham Outdoor Power was always highly recommended for service.

Also for towing, I figure insurance will have to cover that too, so is Motolimo still the go-to as well, should I just call CAA (I do have CAA Plus)?

Sorry to hear.

Was it the guys with the infamous white van? If so, I can't believe they have not been pulled over considering how few of such vans are on the road.

Btw, CAA is good for taking bikes away on a flat bed.

Sorry to hear.

Was it the guys with the infamous white van? If so, I can't believe they have not been pulled over considering how few of such vans are on the road.

Btw, CAA is good for taking bikes away on a flat bed.

I didn't see the footage, but the police requested it after they took the photos. Based on talking to others though, it seems this was an attempt to ride the bikes out, since they got a CBR300R (not mine) running, but ended up ditching it near the garage door to exit the condo (potentially the ignition failed and they dropped it).

I'm just insanely worried now though the same group will be back with a van/truck to pick up all the disabled motorcycles in the next few days. TPS said they'd have a unit in the area, but no idea for how long.

What is the security like at you condo? And what are they doing to prevent motorcycle theft in the future?
Maybe good idea together with other bike owners and contact the condo board as a group?

Oof, sorry to hear about your bike.

All the good indie shops have long wait times, but its a honda ,so pretty much any dealer will be able to fix it, call around

If the repairs are covered under an insurance claim, I'd take it to a Honda dealership. At least you'll get genuine OE parts and they SHOULD know how to disassemble/reassemble the bike properly, or at least have access to official Honda shop manuals to look up little things like torque specs, lubricant/thread locker specs, wiring and hose routing.

If the repairs are covered under an insurance claim, I'd take it to a Honda dealership. At least you'll get genuine OE parts and they SHOULD know how to disassemble/reassemble the bike properly, or at least have access to official Honda shop manuals to look up little things like torque specs, lubricant/thread locker specs, wiring and hose routing.
Not necessarily. I learned that if you have replacement insurance they use OEM parts, if you have normal insurance they use the cheapest available. Surprised the hell out of me. Shop would fight for some OEM plastic as the aftermarket sucked so it would add a ton of labour to get it to look good. Insurance company often said to proceed with China crap.

OP, I wouldn't waste one of my CAA tows on this. Insurance company will pay for one tow per claim. Make them cover this tow (which may still be a CAA truck but on their account not yours).

It is insurance and I'll have to ask what the extra cost would be for a new OEM harness...if it is only a few bucks I'll kick that in for an original part. Also if they have to replace all the locks (so the keys still match) but I guess will see.

Also leaning to motolimo to do the tow, unless others think CAA is better/cares more/will take better care of the bike.

Would people still recommend Markham Outdoor Power for service (they are a dealership)? I noticed Snow City does seem to be a Honda dealer now too.

Snow City is a Honda dealer - take it there.
So is Markham Outdoor Power. Years ago a friend who worked at Honda said all the guys took theirs to Markham as the service dept was the best imo...but that was about 10 years ago, and before Snow City started dealing with Hondas.

If the general consensus though is Snow City is just as good as Markham Outdoor Power for service, then I'm tempted to go that route as it is closer and they open Monday vs Tuesday.

They should just get the dealer to tow it. If it is just a cut harness they may try to fix it. If the bikes under two years old they have to use new oem parts

Not necessarily. I learned that if you have replacement insurance they use OEM parts, if you have normal insurance they use the cheapest available. Surprised the hell out of me. Shop would fight for some OEM plastic as the aftermarket sucked so it would add a ton of labour to get it to look good. Insurance company often said to proceed with China crap.

OP, I wouldn't waste one of my CAA tows on this. Insurance company will pay for one tow per claim. Make them cover this tow (which may still be a CAA truck but on their account not yours).

What I meant was that all else being equal, a Honda dealership will be more likely to "sell" you original Honda parts, whereas as an independent or non-Honda shop would probably think third party is good enough and think you're doing you a favor by using cheaper parts.

In my opinion when dealing with insurance claims, it is typically best to bring to the dealership of the manufacturer.
Not only would they use only OEM parts and service standards, it would certainly be easier if issues arose.

Reactions: TK4
It is insurance and I'll have to ask what the extra cost would be for a new OEM harness...if it is only a few bucks I'll kick that in for an original part. Also if they have to replace all the locks (so the keys still match) but I guess will see.

Also leaning to motolimo to do the tow, unless others think CAA is better/cares more/will take better care of the bike.
FWIW If you have to replace any of the locks on your bike just order the OEM replacement and bring it with one of the other locks on the bike to a locksmith and have the replacement keyed the same. Most will do this for a reasonable price ,bring your bikes ownership with you as they usually ask.

FWIW If you have to replace any of the locks on your bike just order the OEM replacement and bring it with one of the other locks on the bike to a locksmith and have the replacement keyed the same. Most will do this for a reasonable price ,bring your bikes ownership with you as they usually ask.

Or just carry two keys like I do .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom