At what point is it not a hobby anymore? | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

At what point is it not a hobby anymore?

Check out Ontario Moto Gymkhana.
Facebook: Ontario Moto Gymkhana

Any bike can do it, from trials to cruisers. It's like Rider Training courses on steroids. It's so much fun, very safe, and builds up the skills that can save you on the street!
Only thing is you might want to have some engine guards/sliders justtttt in case. Also puts you more at piece of mind so you can push it a bit more

Sliders and cages definitely help to protect the mechanics and aesthetics of your bike.

Unlike regular conservative street riding, motogymkhana is a sport and encourages you to push your limits. So, just as in circuit riding, you are more likely to lay it down than on your commute.

However, at such low speeds, a drop usually results in only seconds of lost time, as you pick it up, embarassed, and keep on going.

Just a heads up. Make sure you have written permission from the property owner. And even with that, cops could make life miserable for you. It's an uninsured event on private property no different than stunting i think.

Just a heads up. Make sure you have written permission from the property owner. And even with that, cops could make life miserable for you. It's an uninsured event on private property no different than stunting i think.
Yeah. Technically, unless there is a closed chain or gate separating your parking lot from the road, it is an easy ticket (up to and including dangerous driving if the cop is having a bad day). It's a shame that people trying to better themselves have a hard time doing it legally.

Definitely a concern/worry.

So far I have been using the mall. The part of the lot near the old Sears is also deserted, so we aren't getting in the way much.

Gymkhana is actually a lot like practice drills. Enough G1 drivers training there, and since we don't do wheelies or burnouts, the security guards have actually waved as they walk by.

Definitely a concern/worry.

So far I have been using the mall. The part of the lot near the old Sears is also deserted, so we aren't getting in the way much.

Gymkhana is actually a lot like practice drills. Enough G1 drivers training there, and since we don't do wheelies or burnouts, the security guards have actually waved as they walk by.

Things start to change when it becomes a group larger than 3-4 people especially in a public space.

Most often than not, if they see 1 or 2 people practicing in a safe manner, security guards (malls especially) let you do what you want. Once your numbers go up, it becomes an 'event' and you're usually told to move on.

GO lots are usually my go-to on the weekends for MotoGK (which is when I would normally go for a ride anyway). No pedestrian traffic, and typically very few parked cars.

FWIW, 99% of the interactions I've had with people were positive. As long as you're respectful, know you're technically not allowed to be there, and leave when requested, you should be fine.
The 1% was a janitor going in on the weekend that wanted to flex his muscles in very broken English. I didn't argue and left shortly after we spoke, but the guy felt the need to yell in my face because "the truck yard was not my property" as I was packing up.
I have had run-ins with police twice. One was an elementary school parking lot, and one was a high school parking lot on the weekend in Summer. They simply asked what I was doing, I explained, and they left with a "Ride safe..."

Last edited:
Things start to change when it becomes a group larger than 3-4 people especially in a public space.

Most often than not, if they see 1 or 2 people practicing in a safe manner, security guards (malls especially) let you do what you want. Once your numbers go up, it becomes an 'event' and you're usually told to move on.

GO lots are usually my go-to on the weekends for MotoGK (which is when I would normally go for a ride anyway). No pedestrian traffic, and typically very few parked cars.

We should meet up.

We should meet up.

If you're ever out or planning to be out around Markham or Durham on Saturday mornings/afternoons, I'd likely be down. Pretty sure we chatted over FB before.

From what I recall, you're in Cambridge which is quite a ways away for someone that has pretty much given up street-riding.

If you're ever out or planning to be out around Markham or Durham on Saturday mornings/afternoons, I'd likely be down. Pretty sure we chatted over FB before.

From what I recall, you're in Cambridge which is quite a ways away for someone that has pretty much given up street-riding.
I'm game. Scope out a nice lot in Markham. I'll bring the cones and the timer.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom