At what point is it not a hobby anymore? | GTAMotorcycle.com

At what point is it not a hobby anymore?

LePhillou

Site Supporter
People get excited to ride their motorcycles.

They plan out rides. Go touring. Go to the track. Ride with some friends. Bask in the high speeds, air against their faces and all the smells from country roads.

I used to do that, but it seems that lately, i can't be bothered. It's basically a utilitarian vehicle for me to go from point A to point B. I enjoy it, 1000x more than my car (even on those cold days), but does that previous enjoyment ever come back? Do i need to get a new bike for that to happen? We're a 1 car household with 2 kids, we can't really afford a 2nd car (hence why i ride a fully paid bike with low insurance costs instead)

I've done probably 2-3 joy rides in the past 10k-12k km(last 2 seasons) as i mainly use it to commute, rain or shine... or run errands. Anybody else in the same situation? Am i missing out? Or is that just one of the stages of being a rider?

(this is all happening cause low rider dared us to create some content)

What else are you doing? There’s only so many hours in a day. Sometimes I have more hours for riding and sometimes I have more hours for another hobby. Lately I have another hobby that’s taking up my time and I’m not riding nearly as much, I know that will change at some point and the reverse will happen. It’s just natural phases unless you actively don’t like riding anymore and then that’s something different.

Sell it. Then you'll know if you miss it.
I think i'm talking more about the 'passion' associated with the hobby than missing the actual motorcycle as a method of transportation.

If i sold it, i'd be SOL on my commute, so yes i'd miss riding vs taking $16-worth of transit daily. So it makes more monetary sense for me (ie. reducing my transit usage to 4 months per year)

but right now, i'm not the guy planning rides with his friends..heck i even would ride along with my buddy and his sports car in the muskokas a few years back, just to be out on it. now it's more of a "meh" factor

I think i'm talking more about the 'passion' associated with the hobby than missing the actual motorcycle as a method of transportation.

If i sold it, i'd be SOL on my commute, so yes i'd miss riding vs taking $16-worth of transit daily. So it makes more monetary sense for me (ie. reducing my transit usage to 4 months per year)

but right now, i'm not the guy planning rides with his friends..heck i even would ride along with my buddy and his sports car in the muskokas a few years back, just to be out on it. now it's more of a "meh" factor
A new bike normally fixes meh, but probably incurs costs that wreck the rest of the positives you currently have. There is nothing wrong with using a bike as a tool. Just make sure you keep your mind in it as commuting is probably one of the more dangerous activities on a bike.

If you really want fun, buy dirt bikes for the family and go exploring. Smiles for miles.

I am new to motorcycle riding with 3 years under my belt. I have been a car guy my whole life, and since I started riding I have lost the excitement of driving the muscle car. I feel guilty that it just sits. I have built the car from the ground up but i just find the bike a more of an adventure every time I ride. So with that I feel my car hobby side id dying, and if wasn't for the fact that my kid goes for cars ride with me I would of sold it by now. Ughh i've spent so many hours wondering about this topic. Great Thread topic.

When you stop enjoying it?

I took a break from riding on the street for a season. It had gotten a bit boring so I went to play with dirt bikes. Then I missed having a bike I could just leave straight from the garage with no prep,getting to the track, clean up and maintenance so I do both now.

I think a big part of the problem is you made your toy a tool for commuting. Kind of takes the excitement out of going for a ride after work or on the weekends. I know it can be tough to swing but why not try to pick up a project bike? Something you can tinker with over the winter and only ride it for fun. Might bring a little of the fun back for you. Guys are always posting up cheap projects in the reasonably priced thread.

I like Black Camaro's response here. I simply use my bikes for fun rides and choose to commute in the truck. I can see how that would take some fun out of it for some people.

A new bike of course will re ignite the excitement. I've been lucky to have had multiple different bikes without losing much money in the process, (buy used in the off season, sell in a year or two in spring). Unfortunately the novelty of a new bike wears off rather quick if you get a lot of seat time on it..

I decided to get back into motocross/trail riding offroad and I've yet to get bored. I try to get out almost every weekend, and still having a blast. So much to learn, and perfecting new skills keeps it interesting. Unlike the street where you really shouldn't be pushing yourself or the bike too hard.. Riding the same roads on the street over and over I've lost quite a bit of interest in street riding. I just keep one around for the odd time I want to get out there, but I don't see myself selling the dirt bikes anytime soon!

What else are you doing? There’s only so many hours in a day. Sometimes I have more hours for riding and sometimes I have more hours for another hobby. Lately I have another hobby that’s taking up my time and I’m not riding nearly as much, I know that will change at some point and the reverse will happen. It’s just natural phases unless you actively don’t like riding anymore and then that’s something different.
I did start cycling more, which is fun. But i also use it as a means to commute (when temps are above 5 Celcius) but it doesn't take over my life.
A new bike normally fixes meh, but probably incurs costs that wreck the rest of the positives you currently have. There is nothing wrong with using a bike as a tool. Just make sure you keep your mind in it as commuting is probably one of the more dangerous activities on a bike.

If you really want fun, buy dirt bikes for the family and go exploring. Smiles for miles.
I love offroad but i don't like the time and travel cost of offroad. I do want my kids to get into it, get maybe some RedRiders going on in a year or 2 when i can bring both!
I am new to motorcycle riding with 3 years under my belt. I have been a car guy my whole life, and since I started riding I have lost the excitement of driving the muscle car. I feel guilty that it just sits. I have built the car from the ground up but i just find the bike a more of an adventure every time I ride. So with that I feel my car hobby side id dying, and if wasn't for the fact that my kid goes for cars ride with me I would of sold it by now. Ughh i've spent so many hours wondering about this topic. Great Thread topic.
I was an enthusiast but never got real serious with it. When i realized i wanted to go faster, i did the math and motorcycles were a simple and cost effective solution! Also since wifey started driving my car i needed something that was more my own so i wouldn't care if she didn't clean it as much or drive it the way i'd expect her to (we both only really like standards, i'm blessed lol)
I took a break from riding on the street for a season. It had gotten a bit boring so I went to play with dirt bikes. Then I missed having a bike I could just leave straight from the garage with no prep,getting to the track, clean up and maintenance so I do both now.

I think a big part of the problem is you made your toy a tool for commuting. Kind of takes the excitement out of going for a ride after work or on the weekends. I know it can be tough to swing but why not try to pick up a project bike? Something you can tinker with over the winter and only ride it for fun. Might bring a little of the fun back for you. Guys are always posting up cheap projects in the reasonably priced thread.
Yeah the commute is nice cause i get some time on the bike that i probably wouldn't get other wise, and it's an AWESOME break from cycling to and back from work (about 23km commute each way) but i guess after having done that commute hundreds of times during the 4-5 seasons i've had the bike.. it's getting more bland. Heck i changed the sprocketing to make it torquier and it was fun-ish for one season.
I don't know if the tinkering would get me back into loving it or not it's something i haven't reallly considered

I think using the bike for commuting has taken the fun out of just riding. Anything, ok almost anything a person likes to do like golf would get a bit boring if you golfed every day. By the end of the season I've probably had enough time on the bike and I can continue to bicycle farther into the bad weather and look forward to cross country skiing. Ah but when spring comes, it's once again a rush to get back on the bike.

You need a big change.
Take up fishing...... Or take motorcycling in a totally new direction. Trials is a perfect change that doesn't break the bank and sharpens the mind.

I have a CB500X too and use it to commute, not as much as you though. I don't do many weekend rides now, though did a trip to Virginia, and its brought back the zest! I don't have the urge to see much of Ontario anymore after that trip. I did debate selling it and getting out of bikes, saving and moving out west with my sister/gf, where the roads are bikers paradise. However, I still have to see things in the East from Cabot Trail to Barber museum, and ride to Maine on the bucket list while out east, and the bike is the most economical way to do so. Do you have any places you really want to see, or things to do? The bike may be the tool.

That Said next season I will be changing the CB, its a great bike and has served well, just need a change.

You need a big change.
Take up fishing...... Or take motorcycling in a totally new direction. Trials is a perfect change that doesn't break the bank and sharpens the mind.
lol was going to tell him basically the same thing.
Side yard, front yard, back yard makes no difference, it's all good.

When you retire, then you can ride full time and call it your occupation (y)

You need to choose your words carefully young padawan. I know what you meant, but your statement is funnier if you read it the way it is written.

lol, noted! Out west, where my Girlfriend lives right now in Vancouver, and my sister in Calgary, not near each other, just in proximity ?

Between those 2 it is way nicer riding in Vancouver, it has Ioco in the back yard.

That's a tough one. I agree that the commute is definitely killing the "specialness" of swinging a leg over.

Perhaps trading in the bike for a cheap compact commuter might help, and it's better for the winter anyway. It might reignite your passion for bikes once you've been out of the saddle for a season or two.

My buddy also lost interest in motorcycles. He sold his bikes and got into Jeeps. That lasted two years now he's back into bikes in a big way. Time away made him realize how much he loves motos.

Too bad he's into Harleys now, but two wheels is two wheels... :D

Back
Top Bottom