Armoured Long Sleeve Shirt Advice for Hot Weather Riding? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Armoured Long Sleeve Shirt Advice for Hot Weather Riding?

Hi Everyone. I’m a new rider from Toronto and I’m specifically looking for reco’s to buy an armoured long sleeve shirt for hot summer days.

Does a basic black or grey or navy armoured long sleeve shirt even exist?

All I see are textile armoured jackets and hoodies with mesh venting or flannel light jacket/shirts. That’s still too heavy for my casual city rides in the summer heat.

I’m looking for a simple Henley style shirt or crewneck long sleeve with Kevlar or Cordura and armour inserts (elbow, back, shoulder preferred) that I can wear on its own as an outer layer like a normal long sleeve shirt.

Any brand or website reco’s that sell this type of gear would be appreciated.

Thanks,
MobileguyTO

Last edited:
You may be picturing dirt bike gear. Padding underneath and a jersey over top.
You won't regret a mesh jacket if you ever go for a slide

Sent from my Redmi 7A using Tapatalk
Fair point. Not specifically dirt bike but in that realm. I'm picturing a simple long sleeve kevlar type jersey that has some built in armour for city riding/commuting in the summer heat at a moderate, stop and go speed.

I have one of these. I don't wear it too often.
The problem is that the aramid lining is heavy, not necessarily the polyester.
That and the fact that the garment has to have three individual layers built into it.
A good protective mesh jacket will flow air when you're moving.
kickback-shirt-red-blue-s.jpg

I have one of these. I don't wear it too often.
The problem is that the aramid lining is heavy, not necessarily the polyester.
That and the fact that the garment has to have three individual layers built into it.
A good protective mesh jacket will flow air when you're moving.
kickback-shirt-red-blue-s.jpg
Thanks for sharing. I'm not a huge fan of flannel or button up/zippered collared shirts. I'm looking for a henley style or crew neck long sleeve with armour. I've reading about aramid lining (kevlar vs cordura) and their are definitely pros and cons to both in terms of heavy material and breathability. The search continues. In the meantime I did find something close to it but it's a sweatshirt and might be way too hot still. Sweater Whitby

In the meantime I did find something close to it but it's a sweatshirt and might be way too hot still. Sweater Whitby
I have pretty much zero faith in that thing. In a crash, it will slide out of the way and leave your skin exposed. Might as well save your $400 (unless you are buying it for style not protection). Sadly, what you want may not be possible. Without strapped cuffs and something to hold the lower edge down, protection will be minimal at best imo.

Last edited:
The problem you will be facing is that the material has to be strong enough to keep from shredding if you hit the pavement and slide. If it shreds upon impact, then the armor will be useless as the material was what was holding the armor in the right places against your body.

Material that's strong enough will either be mesh or too thick to flow air through.

Concur, get a good moisture wicking base layer.

Just today i was stuck in that brutal heat for 15 minutes bumper to bumper on the highway. Base layer under my textile/mesh jacket and my torso/arms felt fine even though i was barely able to get some air through me. As soon as i unzipped the jacket i felt the moisture but i was 2 minutes from peeling out of it, so whatever.

yeah well ......dress to avoid heatstroke counts too.

I wear armoured mesh in tropical Australia on the hottest most humid days and I dare say the armour is better in some respects than my mesh jacket.

1629426381223.png

ATGTA

With the right helmet you can get a Darth Vader look ... my kid in better days :cry:
1__#$!@%!#__1__#$!@%!#__Pasted Graphic 1.tiff
New rider tho in Toronto ...spend a bit

FWIW
Pleased with jacket I got and incredible value. They fit to size and loads of good features. We'll see over time how durable but hellish better than some shirt.
and the pants for warmer weather

Last edited:
Hi Everyone. I’m a new rider from Toronto and I’m specifically looking for reco’s to buy an armoured long sleeve shirt for hot summer days.

Does a basic black or grey or navy armoured long sleeve shirt even exist?

All I see are textile armoured jackets and hoodies with mesh venting or flannel light jacket/shirts. That’s still too heavy for my casual city rides in the summer heat.

I’m looking for a simple Henley style shirt or crewneck long sleeve with Kevlar or Cordura and armour inserts (elbow, back, shoulder preferred) that I can wear on its own as an outer layer like a normal long sleeve shirt.

Any brand or website reco’s that sell this type of gear would be appreciated.

Thanks,
MobileguyTO

i would say most armored 'shirts' are generally much heavier than a mesh jacket.

what about the knox urbane? Knox Urbane Pro Men's Armored Mesh Overshirt

This is where i bought mine. Aramid lined with elbow, shoulder and back armour.

I have the Icon mesh jacket and it has the most mesh in a jacket that I have seen,comes in three colors.

That "shirt" is made of Cordura and polyamide, same stuff as in any motorcycle textile jacket.

It's abrasion-resistant, but it won't flow air like the OP wants.

Back
Top Bottom