Area to ride in Japan. Rethinking it. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Area to ride in Japan. Rethinking it.

MacDoc

Site Supporter
areamap.jpg

I've found a machine I can ride and be comfortable with. Burgman 200.
s-l500.jpg

199cc and meets the insurance requirements I need and I'm comfortable with the style. ABS, storage. 120 kph top speed ( a bit optimistic )

Instead of booking a tour..I'm going to find a good riding area and rent a lowish cost accommodation to base out of.

I'm arriving in Narita at 6 pm - so an area up to 3hrs by bullet train is fine and there are a lot of 819 rentals I can book a machine.
so just trying to sort info on which area to consider.
Certainly around Mt Fuji is a target but might need a place a bit further from Tokyo.
Ideas appreciated. I've never travelled beyond Kyoto and that was too many decades ago.TIA

The Shimanami Kaido ( Shimanami Kaido) is a place I always wanted to go. From there, to Kagoshima. Sakurajima must be a beautiful place to sightseeing, despite de ash. Also, in Kyushu, the city of Beppu (Beppu).
Getting lost in the Tohoku region seems appealing to me too. Going to cities like Aomori to eat and spend the night on a Ryokan and seeing the gazillion of temples there.

So reworked the original tour
Kanto_light_main.png

but leaving from Yokahama Ducati - about 2 hours by train from Narita.
00102.jpg

Closer to being out of the city - I can ride the secondary roads instread of the toll roads too. Hoping I can take 412 or maybe even 64.
Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at Mar, 22    2023    6.30.32 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at Mar, 22    2023    6.32.20 AM.jpg

Turns out I can cancel tour within 20 days and of course hotel as well so allows flexibility for my sons condition.

Firmed up the CB190x and getting to ride one today ...weather permitting but don't see an issue. Hoping for red :rolleyes:

Hd5b428132b014e50a1f7a5850584e9bey.jpg

:giggle:

If this works out maybe I can do a longer tour next year. B-in-law and step dottor do winter sports every year in Japan and I've been there enough to be comfortable but it's been a long time and Tokyo is a bit scary so happy to be further out watching the city go by from the train window.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at Mar, 22    2023    6.26.22 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at Mar, 22 2023 6.26.22 AM.jpg
    477.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
So reworked the original tour
Kanto_light_main.png

but leaving from Yokahama Ducati - about 2 hours by train from Narita.
00102.jpg

Closer to being out of the city - I can ride the secondary roads instread of the toll roads too. Hoping I can take 412 or maybe even 64
View attachment 59943
View attachment 59944

Turns out I can cancel tour within 20 days and of course hotel as well so allows flexibility for my sons condition.

Firmed up the CB190x and getting to ride one today ...weather permitting but don't see an issue. Hoping for red :rolleyes:

Hd5b428132b014e50a1f7a5850584e9bey.jpg

:rolleyes: :giggle:
Wait, you're leaving from a ducati dealer but renting a honda? It's probably a good bike for you but I was hoping for something with more soul for this adventure (like one of the small ducs although they are still far heavier than the honda).

Oh I would love to have something bigger but my health insurance only covers up to 199 cc. At least it is a full sized bike and speed limits are 100 kph which it just makes.
The Ducati dealer is just the depot for 819 rentals which is Japan wide.
They have a wide range of bikes available.

Hah - they booked a red one for me ... from theoir website. I like that it comes with luggage and some engine guards.

1310-2020-3.jpg

Last edited:
Cool route. I hope you enjoy it. I thought though you would be free roaming, that's why I gave those places. Regardless, it will be awesome... Fuji San in itself is cool...

It's not a fixed route - I expect to be exploring but also considering a longer trip next year - I'll just rent the a machine under 200 cc and get my own accommodation and food and pick one of your suggestions.

The whole booked route is only 500+ km and there are long days in June. I'm used to 250-400 KM days here.
I was considering doing my own this year but felt the tour hit my budget and time window...
I also have the option to cancel within 20 days of the trip at no cost to me. I've put a deposit in but it's all changeable.

If I just rent the same bike it will cost me $400 for 3 days plus 2 nights hotel and meals. Yeah I'll save some coin and I might still do that. Couple months yet to decide.
The 199cc limit really hurts my choices of machines. :(
Your effort is not wasted and gives me options and I appreciate it.
I could even move the adventure back to Sept and have extra days.

It's very fluid because of my son's condition and at least I have this as a fall back. 🏍️

I think it's kinda neat you can hop on a plane at Pearson and 12 hours later be able to ride in Japan.

It is more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.
I put 19,000 km on my Suzuki GW250 with most of that touring Canada & US
I have done 300km days on a 1966 125cc Yamaha.
As long as one stays off the main motorways you will have fun.
At 70+ I have learned to stop and smell the cherry blossoms along the way.
That Honda looks like a sweat ride.
Good brakes, good suspension, windshield, luggage and a decent sitting position, what more do you need?
What are the speed limits on the roads your traveling?

Oh we're on the same page I'm 75- I ride a CB300F daily and just turned over 60k km on it.
1761bfd8f56248f571d2ba53e7a2603b7a0a1ae4.jpg
Most local rides are 150-350 km.
The CB190x weighs the same but a bit slower. The 190 will do 100 kph and my understanding is even the multi-lane stick to that unlike the 401. Road presence on the 190 is good.

It's not a fixed route - I expect to be exploring but also considering a longer trip next year - I'll just rent the a machine under 200 cc and get my own accommodation and food and pick one of your suggestions.

The whole booked route is only 500+ km and there are long days in June. I'm used to 250-400 KM days here.
I was considering doing my own this year but felt the tour hit my budget and time window...
I also have the option to cancel within 20 days of the trip at no cost to me. I've put a deposit in but it's all changeable.

If I just rent the same bike it will cost me $400 for 3 days plus 2 nights hotel and meals. Yeah I'll save some coin and I might still do that. Couple months yet to decide.
The 199cc limit really hurts my choices of machines. :(
Your effort is not wasted and gives me options and I appreciate it.
I could even move the adventure back to Sept and have extra days.

It's very fluid because of my son's condition and at least I have this as a fall back. 🏍️

I think it's kinda neat you can hop on a plane at Pearson and 12 hours later be able to ride in Japan.
Regardless, I do hope you have a great time. The good thing about Japan, outside Tokyo, is that everybody is nice and will try to help if you got lost or something, or don't know the language. And every small city is charming in a way or another, that's way I think it is amazing to have only a minimal planning.
On your route you will be close to Suzuka, which have a nice museum. In Kobe, southeast of Tokyo, the Kawasaki Good Times world centre is another place to go, only by the name alone.
Anyway, let us informed; I would love to hear how was it. And hopefully your son can get better soon.

Thanks for tips and regards for my son.
Still looking at options and appreciate your insight.
Was hoping to rent the bike right at Narita and then ride the next day the multi-lane across toward Fuji rather than spend 3 hours travelling to the hotel but not happening as yet.
The 819 station at Narita will be closed ( permanently ) before I arrive so that's out. Not that fond of sheperding one largish suitcase through train changes but it is on wheels ...looks like there is no direct route to Yokahama but would like to travel on the bullet train and it is cost effective. Still a long time to plan.

Was hoping to rent the bike right at Narita and then ride the next day the multi-lane across toward Fuji rather than spend 3 hours travelling to the hotel but not happening as yet.
The 819 station at Narita will be closed ( permanently ) before I arrive so that's out. Not that fond of sheperding one largish suitcase through train changes but it is on wheels ...looks like there is no direct route to Yokahama but would like to travel on the bullet train and it is cost effective. Still a long time to plan.
Have fun. I envy your adventure.

I lived for several years in Japan in the south decades ago.

I can give you no advice for roads up around Tokyo etc.

I look forward to reading any trip posts that you would be willing to share.

Enjoy!

i havent personally done it but i know japan offers many services that take your luggage for you and deliver them to your hotel.

good luck with your planning! will be keeping an eye on this as im also gonna ride in japan but in late september.

Back
Top Bottom