Are These Turn Signals Legal In Ontario? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Are These Turn Signals Legal In Ontario?

Its a fix it ticket, no worries.
Unless you piss off the cop and he hands you a handful of paperwork. Getting the lights dropped in court may mean you get stuck with one that is worse. If you really piss off the cop, I am pretty sure they could have you towed as your vehicle is not legally allowed to operate on the road with those lights.

Unless you piss off the cop and he hands you a handful of paperwork. Getting the lights dropped in court may mean you get stuck with one that is worse. If you really piss off the cop, I am pretty sure they could have you towed as your vehicle is not legally allowed to operate on the road with those lights.
I guess that's always a probability yeah.

Volunteer fireman have green lights flashing all around.

and snow-removal vehicles can have blue.
Just attach a snow-shovel to the front and keep a firemans hat in the back, covers both bases.

When it comes to non-standard lights on tractor trailers, they are referred to as “chicken lights “and are typically only installed by owner operators since the company guy wouldn’t want to invest the time and money to put them on a piece of equipment he might not be driving tomorrow.

The non standard colours are usually wired to a separate switch and turned off while going through a scale or while in the vicinity of the po po.

It’s also far less common than it used to be as by the letter of the law *all* lights on a vehicle must be turned on during an inspection. If promoted to turn them on and the inspector finds a rainbow, you’re getting a big fat ticket.

and snow-removal vehicles can have blue.
Just attach a snow-shovel to the front and keep a firemans hat in the back, covers both bases.

Only valid and legal if you’re an actual firefighter or snow removal company.

Blue is legal forward facing (for some reason) however for anyone.

Last edited:
Reefer trucks have a green light on the refrigeration unit so the driver can see in his mirror if the thing is happy. I haven't seen anyone with green marker lights.

Yeah I think you are right, and those green lights are blocked from view when the guy is pulling a trailer.

Ahhh here is what I was looking for. So I can install these turn signals at the front so technically they would be legal even if the blue neon is "on" all the time? I received them this afternoon, but I also ordered the normal amber ones just in case I have to remove the neon ones out.

TTC buses that have the forward-facing blue lights evidently are to indicate that the bus is wheelchair-accessible. (I didn't know that ... I knew they had the blue lights, I just looked up why, and evidently that's the reason!)

I'm not 100% sure, but I think all TTC buses that are still in service are wheelchair-accessible. The old skool high-floor buses are all gone from regular service.

TTC buses that have the forward-facing blue lights evidently are to indicate that the bus is wheelchair-accessible. (I didn't know that ... I knew they had the blue lights, I just looked up why, and evidently that's the reason!)

I'm not 100% sure, but I think all TTC buses that are still in service are wheelchair-accessible. The old skool high-floor buses are all gone from regular service.

Yep, the TTC was the first time that I'd actually seen forward facing blue on a non emergency vehicle and it made it scratch my head as I didn't think it was legal and was wondering if there was some exemption for public vehicles.

It was then that I actually discovered that forward facing blue WAS actually a legal option under the HTA, as well as why the TTC used it as you mentioned.

I'm not sure what legit use forward facing blue lights serve other than the "Look at me!" factor (TTC reasons aside), but hey, it is what it is.

No you don't. Some tractor-trailers make generous use of amber marker lights (or red if they are on the rear, or on the side towards the rear) over and above the minimum required. You don't see commercial vehicles with "all color of the rainbow little lights" because the last thing a commercial-vehicle operator wants is to be pulled off the road because their lighting is not by-the-book.

Take a picture the next time you see "all color of the rainbow little lights" on a commercial vehicle on the road.

Yes I do see them all the time, and here's a pic taken last night by me, here in Toronto, NOT in Thailand;

Attachments

• 20200605_213853.jpg
    20200605_213853.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 9
See my earlier reply about chicken lights.

Here's the real competition.

Back
Top Bottom