Are These Turn Signals Legal In Ontario? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Are These Turn Signals Legal In Ontario?

Pegassus

Site Supporter
Don't know what forum to ask but here it goes, are these turn signals legal in Ontario? I see them on Amazon and other websites for sale;

-

-

My understanding from the HTA Act is that a vehicle can only have amber and red lights facing backwards, and no other color, the turn signals above give out a neon blue running light which turns off when you engage turn signal (yellow blinking). So are they legal?

Almost any aftermarket turn signal will not meet the required fmvss standard. Those look like they might be bright and actually on a stalk which is good but the flashing blue light will send your heat score to the moon. I cant imagine you last very long before you start collecting tickets.

Damn and I ordered them already, but slightly different, in the video the neon light blinks vice-versa with the amber, I ordered a set from Amazon where the neon light sorrounds the blinking amber. I think I can add a red film over the neon blue so it becomes a red "sidemarker" like on the side of trailers. Red lights facing backwards "on" all the time are legal.

Here are the ones I ordered, they are different and cooler than the ones in the video;

Last edited:
Cancel the order.Don't be a target for the police.

The only two legal rear facing lighting colours is red and amber - red must be only for clearance/marker, or brake, and amber can only be signal lights and cannot stay lit, it can only be lit during actual signalling. A constantly lit amber is only legal for front or side.

Anything else is not legal and will certainly increase your heat score.

Cancel the order.

Damn and I ordered them already, but slightly different, in the video the neon light blinks vice-versa with the amber, I ordered a set from Amazon where the neon light sorrounds the blinking amber. I think I can add a red film over the neon blue so it becomes a red "sidemarker" like on the side of trailers. Red lights facing backwards "on" all the time are legal.

Here are the ones I ordered, they are different and cooler than the ones in the video;

Red plus blue equals red?

you can have green side markers (I was pulled over years ago for having blue), as I was told by the cop - but laws state commercial vehicles above a certain size can have them...

The only two legal rear facing lighting colours is red and amber - red must be only for clearance/marker, or brake, and amber can only be signal lights and cannot stay lit, it can only be lit during actual signalling. A constantly lit amber is only legal for front or side.

Anything else is not legal and will certainly increase your heat score.

Cancel the order.

I had an electric licence plate holder that lit-up neon green that could be seen from 1 km away, cops never gave me ticket for that even when they stopped me for other things. So you don't think a neon green sorrounding an amber turn signal will fly? I also see tractor trailers with all color of the rainbow little lights facing backwards and sideways, here on Ontario highways. Just saying.....

I had an electric licence plate holder that lit-up neon green that could be seen from 1 km away, cops never gave me ticket for that even when they stopped me for other things. So you don't think a neon green sorrounding an amber turn signal will fly? I also see tractor trailers with all color of the rainbow little lights facing backwards and sideways, here on Ontario highways. Just saying.....
Install them and let us know how it goes.

Do whatever you want.

But you’ll be increasing your heat score like I said. Eventually when a cop some day is looking for a reason to pull you over, or is low on quota, well, there you are.....

Don't know what forum to ask but here it goes, are these turn signals legal in Ontario? I see them on Amazon and other websites for sale;

-

-

My understanding from the HTA Act is that a vehicle can only have amber and red lights facing backwards, and no other color, the turn signals above give out a neon blue running light which turns off when you engage turn signal (yellow blinking). So are they legal?

You can't have blue. You used to be able to have green turn signals, but I haven't seen them for awhile. Amber and red.

No you don't. Some tractor-trailers make generous use of amber marker lights (or red if they are on the rear, or on the side towards the rear) over and above the minimum required. You don't see commercial vehicles with "all color of the rainbow little lights" because the last thing a commercial-vehicle operator wants is to be pulled off the road because their lighting is not by-the-book.

Take a picture the next time you see "all color of the rainbow little lights" on a commercial vehicle on the road.

No you don't. Some tractor-trailers make generous use of amber marker lights (or red if they are on the rear, or on the side towards the rear) over and above the minimum required. You don't see commercial vehicles with "all color of the rainbow little lights" because the last thing a commercial-vehicle operator wants is to be pulled off the road because their lighting is not by-the-book.

Take a picture the next time you see "all color of the rainbow little lights" on a commercial vehicle on the road.
Okay let me put it this way;

Just last week I saw a tractor trailer truck (without pulling a trailer) with 2 big green lights pointing backwards on the highway. And its not the only tractor head I have seen with these same green lights.

You are not going to screw with my head on this one (Gosh Im talking like Leonardo DiCaprio in the movie "Shutter Island" hehehe)

Well guys Im going to go ahead with installing them, I will take a dive for the team, I can live with a warning, when or if I get it the lights will come off. Im going to test the waters.

Just last week I saw a tractor trailer truck (without pulling a trailer) with 2 big green lights pointing backwards on the highway. And its not the only tractor head I have seen with these same green lights.

You are not going to screw with my head on this one (Gosh Im talking like Leonardo DiCaprio in the movie "Shutter Island" hehehe)

Well guys Im going to go ahead with installing them, I will take a dive for the team, I can live with a warning, when or if I get it the lights will come off. Im going to test the waters.
Reefer trucks have a green light on the refrigeration unit so the driver can see in his mirror if the thing is happy. I haven't seen anyone with green marker lights.

Its a fix it ticket, no worries.

Back
Top Bottom