Are 600SS truly a dying breed? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Are 600SS truly a dying breed?

sid_for_speed

The new CBR600RR-R is due to be showcased this Oct/Nov. While there were rumors being circulated around about how the bike will be completely overhauled and look more like it's bigger brother, the latest is that it will be just new cosmetics and additional electronics. I must say, I preferred the undertail exhaust and am happy to see it being retained( to lower production costs, I assume). Here is how it looks...

1595351122296.png

Yamaha has taken a similar approach just updating minor tweaks here and there and presenting the bike as a new model.

Rumors also suggest this will be the final edition of the CBR 600 due to stricter emission requirements from the EU and poor sales figures.

It's the latter that I am pondering about. Given the price of a 600 is so close to a 1000, are people truly just skipping these awesome machines for a 1000? Are people upgrading to 1000s right away from a ninja 300, just because they are $5k more than a new 600?With updated electronics, these machines could be all one really needs on the road( and for most on the track as well).

.. just seems to be a shame to kill off these smaller, yet powerful machines just because people just want to upgrade to a bigger bike that's being offered for a few thousand dollars/pounds/euros more.

Ontario market is a bit of an anomaly

Tastes change, aided along with the insurance, I just wish honda would start making fun bikes again

I hope that the ZX25R does really well and all the manufacturers bring out a fun screamer (and sell them here).

I just hope it is not seen as a restricted bike..

IMO the 600 supersport class has been optimised for the racetrack to the extent of almost wiping out their suitability as street bikes. All of the chassis measurements across all manufacturers are within millimeters of each other, all of the key dimensions inside the engines are within a millimeter or two. The situation isn't much different in the 1000cc class, although at least there, you have Ducati and Aprilia shaking it up.

It isn't just Ontario where supersport sales are in the cellar ... it's worldwide. It isn't just insurance, it isn't just "street racing" legislation.

One of the consequences of all of them having been optimised for this extent is that if you already own (let's say) a 2008 CBR600, there is little reason to buy a brand new one, because it's practically the same bike.

The 07 CBR 600 was a nice looking bike, then they hit it with the ugly stick for the past 10 years.

This one is def more visually pleasing.

I hope they are replaced by solo electrics.
honda-rc-e-electric-sportbike-2.jpg

I hope they are replaced by solo electrics.

Dude c'mon. You are of a vintage that appreciate's 2 and 4 strokes. Electric is the devil, it's destroyed F1. Moto E hasn't gained any traction thankfully.

On the one hand, I consider the transition to electric propulsion to be inevitable. On the other hand ... making an electric vehicle more interesting to operate than a clothes dryer is a challenge.

One of the consequences of all of them having been optimised for this extent is that if you already own (let's say) a 2008 CBR600, there is little reason to buy a brand new one, because it's practically the same bike.

The same should also apply for 1000SS ... why buy a new one if we have a decade old one? because they are mechanically faster, electronically more stable and overall a far better machine. The same is also true for a 600SS but I am not sure why the general public ( I do blame media!) is so biased about the fact that for XXX dollars more, we can switch over to a 1000SS

The same is also true for a 600SS but I am not sure why the general public ( I do blame media!) is so biased about the fact that for XXX dollars more, we can switch over to a 1000SS
Why wouldn't you? What's the downside to going for 1K? It has better low end torque (directly improving rideability on the street where you are not always in the optimal gear for acceleration), better acceleration, higher top end, only slightly heavier, not much more expensive. About the only huge loser is insurance rates. 600 really makes sense if you are racing and the rulebook requires 600.

IMO the 600 supersport class has been optimised for the racetrack to the extent of almost wiping out their suitability as street bikes. All of the chassis measurements across all manufacturers are within millimeters of each other, all of the key dimensions inside the engines are within a millimeter or two. The situation isn't much different in the 1000cc class, although at least there, you have Ducati and Aprilia shaking it up.

It isn't just Ontario where supersport sales are in the cellar ... it's worldwide. It isn't just insurance, it isn't just "street racing" legislation.

Here's the thing though

When Honda came out with the CBR650F, I thought it was a fantastic idea. It goes most of the way back to the old CBR600 line, where it was a street bike first and a "race" bike second. I felt like they struck a really good balance of looking racy/fast, which is what most people actually want, with keeping it practical.... but. I still want the option of taking it to the track, and they cheaped out on the suspension. The forks are not even preload adjustable. Is it crazy to want that? Or is that being ridiculous and I should just want/settle for the CBR600RR

Here's the thing though

When Honda came out with the CBR650F, I thought it was a fantastic idea. It goes most of the way back to the old CBR600 line, where it was a street bike first and a "race" bike second. I felt like they struck a really good balance of looking racy/fast, which is what most people actually want, with keeping it practical.... but. I still want the option of taking it to the track, and they cheaped out on the suspension. The forks are not even preload adjustable. Is it crazy to want that? Or is that being ridiculous and I should just want/settle for the CBR600RR

Not exciting enough for the street, not sharp enough for the track
Sounds like the honda MO

Yamaha cant stop selling the Mt07s, **** even the old SV's have more character

Dude c'mon. You are of a vintage that appreciate's 2 and 4 strokes. Electric is the devil, it's destroyed F1. Moto E hasn't gained any traction thankfully.
Yes I always loved the old bikes, lots of them I passed on too, millions will still be around,
but I'm ready to embrace a change.

Here's the thing though

Most of that probably comes to price. Manufacturers price and spec their RR's as premium and the rest of the streetbikes as value. If you want adjustable suspension, light weight, etc, you are looking at close to RR pricing and engine size doesn't affect their cost or the final price much. That is why I am excited about the ZX-25R as it seems to be most of the fun bits at street-friendly hp levels. Would you pay 15K for a 650F with a good suspension? I would hazard a guess that it would be a hard sell.

Know what I think this class actually needs?

Adjustable footpegs and adjustable handlebars. Or at least allow a couple of different footpeg positions, and allow enough clearance around the handlebars to allow for height adjustment, and make the default riding position more comfortable so that the bike is more comfortable in the showroom. Everyone in the roadracing paddock replaces footrests and handlebars anyhow.

My R3 came standard with low footpegs and high handlebars in the interest of having a nice comfy standard-ish riding position on the street - and, it is an excellent little street bike in standard form. It now has high footpegs (for cornering clearance) and low handlebars because it's now a race bike. The stock setup could have done with a little more clearance to the instrument cluster and a little more fairing clearance to allow such low handlebars to be installed, but the 2019 model at least partially fixes that.

The neutered sport bikes (Suzuki GSX-not-R, Honda CBR...F, etc) don't spark my interest, even though they are objectively better street bikes.

FWIW the number 1 selling bike in the Superbike class is the Ducati Panigale series. Ducati have done this right.

For me it’s just that the class is stale like others have mentioned. I think it’s been 5 years or a little more since I’ve had a 600ss and there isn’t anything out there interesting enough that I want to go buy one

The new Aprilia RS660 has a shot. A little down on power to comparable 600’s but to me a twin in the class is at least something different.

On that line of thinking I wish Yamaha had of made a SS with their 900 triple. That would’ve been cool.

Speaking of bikes like the CBR650F. Yamaha please make a super sport based on the FZ07 like the FZ07R track bikes. I want good components and would pay $11,500 for it tomorrow to replace my gf’s R3, I think they can do it for a $3000 premium over the FZ07. She’s on my case about a R6 and I’m not ready to go down that road with her yet.

Back
Top Bottom