Aprilia Racers Days | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Aprilia Racers Days

So interested in the Shannonville day... managing that day and a day at Mosport that I've already paid for, 2 weeks apart will be a huge challenge with the employer...
Frickin' Monday track days. I'm amazed how few weekend days there are here, especially at the B and C grade tracks. Out west, there's fewer tracks but seemed like a lot more weekend dates available between Mission, Ridge, OMP, and Portland. Area 27 was usually Mondays because the Richie Rich car guys hog all the weekends. Maybe it's the same here...

So interested in the Shannonville day... managing that day and a day at Mosport that I've already paid for, 2 weeks apart will be a huge challenge with the employer...

I think my employer will have an issue if I try and go too....

One benefit of Covid is we're not doing our usual Italy trip again, so only have a week booked off for a cottage (almost as expensive as Italy this year: Holy Sellers Market, Batman!), leaving lots of vacation days for Monday track days...

(Edit: and when I say 'benefit', it's only the track days. Not going back to Italy sucks in a major way. Especially because my wife has suddenly taken an interest in MotoGP and wants to go see a race at Mugello now.)

One benefit of Covid is we're not doing our usual Italy trip again, so only have a week booked off for a cottage (almost as expensive as Italy this year: Holy Sellers Market, Batman!), leaving lots of vacation days for Monday track days...

We booked a couple of weeks at a cottage near Calabogie, but my wife has the smarts and booked it super early, before the prices went retarded! Still not cheap, but nowhere near what people are asking now.....if you can even find something!

(Edit: and when I say 'benefit', it's only the track days. Not going back to Italy sucks in a major way. Especially because my wife has suddenly taken an interest in MotoGP and wants to go see a race at Mugello now.)
No Italy trip means that the track bike going over budget balances out at the end of the year.

We booked a couple of weeks at a cottage near Calabogie, but my wife has the smarts and booked it super early, before the prices went retarded! Still not cheap, but nowhere near what people are asking now.....if you can even find something!
Yeah, I ended up getting lucky and finding a spot on Elephant Lake that had just become available on AirBnB. From the time I saw it to grabbing the wife to have a look, half the summer got booked. We locked in a week in July and the rest was booked within the hour. Total insanity.

The cancellation charges are nuts, too, with 48 hours to cancel, then being on the hook for 50% of the cost no matter what up to a week out, then 100%. The rate is nuts, but reasonable compared to the $1000/night for a subdivision house with a lake nearby that some were charging.

We had a fairly strict list (had to be rustic, private, no resorts, waterfront on a lake, have a rock frontage with good swimming, no stairs down to the water, a decent dock), so were striking out for places cheaper than crazy money. And this was in early February. When I spoke to one booking agent who represented about 100 cottages (all booked for July and August), she said they were 95% booked by October last year.

No Italy trip means that the track bike going over budget balances out at the end of the year.

I'll remind the wife of this. Every time another part arrives, she just raises an eyebrow and purses her lips. Doesn't even grumble anymore...

Yeah, I ended up getting lucky and finding a spot on Elephant Lake that had just become available on AirBnB. From the time I saw it to grabbing the wife to have a look, half the summer got booked. We locked in a week in July and the rest was booked within the hour. Total insanity.

The cancellation charges are nuts, too, with 48 hours to cancel, then being on the hook for 50% of the cost no matter what up to a week out, then 100%. The rate is nuts, but reasonable compared to the $1000/night for a subdivision house with a lake nearby that some were charging.

We had a fairly strict list (had to be rustic, private, no resorts, waterfront on a lake, have a rock frontage with good swimming, no stairs down to the water, a decent dock), so were striking out for places cheaper than crazy money. And this was in early February. When I spoke to one booking agent who represented about 100 cottages (all booked for July and August), she said they were 95% booked by October last year.

I'll remind the wife of this. Every time another part arrives, she just raises an eyebrow and purses her lips. Doesn't even grumble anymore...

Beautiful area up there, enjoy!

Hmm. I should talk to the inlaws and see if they want to rent out their cottage. Normally, the answer is a hard no, but when the numbers get that big maybe they reconsider. They could fund a really nice international trip when travel starts again.

Hmm. I should talk to the inlaws and see if they want to rent out their cottage. Normally, the answer is a hard no, but when the numbers get that big maybe they reconsider. They could fund a really nice international trip when travel starts again.
Have a look at AirBnB, VRBO and a few of the cottage rental sites for comparables on what's left. $1000/night might be a bit on the high side depending on the number of bedrooms, but it's not far off if the location is good. Muskoka, Georgian Bay and the Kawarthas were pretty limited in supply.

The only risk is getting some scumbags that trash the place. I think if you screen people meaningfully, though, and then meet them on arrival to ensure they are who they say they are, you can prevent most nonsense...

Have a look at AirBnB, VRBO and a few of the cottage rental sites for comparables on what's left. $1000/night might be a bit on the high side depending on the number of bedrooms, but it's not far off if the location is good. Muskoka, Georgian Bay and the Kawarthas were pretty limited in supply.

The only risk is getting some scumbags that trash the place. I think if you screen people meaningfully, though, and then meet them on arrival to ensure they are who they say they are, you can prevent most nonsense...
That's too much hassle and they don't want contact with people. That being said, posting it for acquaintances (church, friends of friends they trust, etc) may be worth considering. It's empty half the time anyway. They (fairly) don't want me to come up until after I am vaccinated, Not sure how many times I will see it this summer.

FWIW, it's a 4 bed, two bath on a lake near Haliburton. There is a boat, but the lake is treacherous with hidden obstacles so no way random people are using it.

That's too much hassle and they don't want contact with people. That being said, posting it for acquaintances (church, friends of friends they trust, etc) may be worth considering. It's empty half the time anyway. They (fairly) don't want me to come up until after I am vaccinated, Not sure how many times I will see it this summer.

FWIW, it's a 4 bed, two bath on a lake near Haliburton. There is a boat, but the lake is treacherous with hidden obstacles so no way random people are using it.
Makes sense. If you don't need the money, the headache can be huge.

As for the boat, places we looked at that had one universally said it was off limits to renters. From liability to abuse to damage, I can totally understand why. We'll be renting one from a marina for our week...

my cottage is about an hr from Calabogie.

I might be able to put some people up depending on the dates.

road access, trailer lot, lakefront property.

currently plans to be there for July long weekend.

Back
Top Bottom