Aprilia @ CTMP | GTAMotorcycle.com

Aprilia @ CTMP

TK4

Apparently an Aprilia North America trailer has rolled into Mosport and is not there for demo rides.
RSV4s to the pre-grid anyone ?

There aren't enough participants in CSBK who aren't tied to existing teams to float an RS660 race.
It could be for well-heeled mortals. Like the 250 class for people with more money. It would be fun and the 660 class results would be slightly less affected by rider weight (often disposable income and weight seem to be at least partially correlated).

Maybe it's just there for marketing, to showcase the current lineup even though no demo rides? They have a captive audience they can take advantage of.

There's a Moto America race next weekend in Pittsburgh, this might be a stop along the way for some extra seat time ?

My suspicions are that they are trying to get some extra seat time before the Moto America race next weekend at Pittsburgh.
There aren't enough participants in CSBK who aren't tied to existing teams to float an RS660 race.

I don't follow Moto America at all (and haven't since it stopped being AMA, to be honest), so no idea if Aprilia runs a competitive team in superbikes, but that's definitely possible. Mosport seems an unlikely place to get a setup for the Pittsburgh track, which looks pretty small, but I guess if the marshals are in their huts and the price is right, any track time is useful. (EDIT: No Aprilia superbike in the US either - RSV4 is now 1100 only, so doesn't fit the class anymore)

As for a spec race, it'll never happen in CSBK with the way things are, sadly. I could maybe see something in Moto America, though the Twins Cup class gives them lots of opportunity to celebrate/market/gloat in my Instagram feed. There actually is a spec class in Italy that uses the Trofeo kit bike and looks like a lot of fun:

I don't follow Moto America at all (and haven't since it stopped being AMA, to be honest), so no idea if Aprilia runs a competitive team in superbikes, but that's definitely possible. Mosport seems an unlikely place to get a setup for the Pittsburgh track, which looks pretty small, but I guess if the marshals are in their huts and the price is right, any track time is useful. (EDIT: No Aprilia superbike in the US either - RSV4 is now 1100 only, so doesn't fit the class anymore)

As for a spec race, it'll never happen in CSBK with the way things are, sadly. I could maybe see something in Moto America, though the Twins Cup class gives them lots of opportunity to celebrate/market/gloat in my Instagram feed. There actually is a spec class in Italy that uses the Trofeo kit bike and looks like a lot of fun:

Maybe run the 660s in Supersport ?

Maybe run the 660s in Supersport ?
They have been trying to puzzle out a more relevant version of Supersport in BSB, but there just isn't the range of equal machinery like the 600/4 / 675/3 / 750/2 used to be. There's a range of <700 cc twins, but the Aprilia is so much more powerful than the Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki that they have to use 100 hp caps in MotoAmerica. They have experimented with the 890cc twin Kramer with the KTM motor against 600 fours in BSB, and I think it did okay (top 10?).

One way or another, the racing doesn't drive the manufacturing anymore, so it'll be a lot harder to have the natural supersport/superbike layout. Aprilia has abandoned 1000cc superbikes, Ducati really only makes one as a racing model, and Suzuki may kill the Gixxer altogether soon. Yamaha hasn't touched the R1 in ages, and Kawasaki only makes changes to help the race bike. Only BMW and (to a lesser extent) Honda are really taking the class standard seriously as a street bike, and ironically they both have really struggled to find short circuit racing success, despite spending stacks of cash.

It's a problem that WSBK and WSS are trying to figure out, as it's only going to get worse in the next few years. Without major changes, it'll all start to look like a vintage series, and the 600cc supersport class already does to a certain extent. At least until electric bikes improve enough to run 20+ laps at a reasonable speed, at which point battery size may dictate the classes. Until then, spec classes and/or hp caps with minimum weights may become the norm...

For those of you on the gram click on his story

Crazy. Wonder if he's entering as a wild card or doing a parade lap or two like Szoke did on the H2r last year?

Rennie is a class act. Likely the last Pikes Peak winner on a motorcycle...

Crazy. Wonder if he's entering as a wild card or doing a parade lap or two like Szoke did on the H2r last year?

Rennie is a class act. Likely the last Pikes Peak winner on a motorcycle...
Qualified 14th in Pro Superbike, first time at Mosport.

1660342993016.png

anyone remember when Claudio Corti showed up at Mosport 6 or 7 years ago with an Aprilia and made everyone look silly with the most unorthodox lines?

Reactions: Ash
anyone remember when Claudio Corti showed up at Mosport 6 or 7 years ago with an Aprilia and made everyone look silly with the most unorthodox lines?
Really nice guy, helped us out with the upper triple clamp on my buddies bike.

Attachments

• 14231127_10153624570977693_1726267838486956484_o.jpg
    14231127_10153624570977693_1726267838486956484_o.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 18
I understand from Rennie's Insta feed that he got bit pretty badly by the Turn 3 monster. Sounds like he had fun, though. Sizeable set on that fellow...

Back
Top Bottom