Anyone tried a cooling vest? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone tried a cooling vest?

Venom01

I ride daily once the weather allows it, and man it seems like every year its getting hotter and more humid.

I was thinking of getting an evaporative cooling vest.

Anyone have one?
Opinions? Recommendations?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

I've been riding using semi frozen camel dehydration pack. Works for me,plus side you get a drink out the whole picture.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

I've got a camelback somewhere I've contemplated trying the ice cubes thing in, but yeah, I figure it's good for 45 minutes max before it would all be just lukewarm water.

I just soak my poly riding shirt in a river - put it under the mesh and good for an hour or so. Did it this week.
Wash useful this weekend and cuts down on washing :D
Easy enough to do in a washroom as well then drip your way out.

I have something called a Core cooler. It looks kind of like a dickey. Goes around your neck and cools the blood as it flows to your brain.

I've got a camelback somewhere I've contemplated trying the ice cubes thing in, but yeah, I figure it's good for 45 minutes max before it would all be just lukewarm water.
Camelbak with a lot of ice in it stays cold for hours. If I leave from home, I use ice. If on a multi-day ride, I typically just fill it at my morning pit stop and dont use ice as it it a pain to get. Yes, it gets warm but warm is better then thirsty.

I ride daily once the weather allows it, and man it seems like every year its getting hotter and more humid.

I was thinking of getting an evaporative cooling vest.

Anyone have one?
Opinions? Recommendations?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Yes, I have one. It's cool. Used it in the Nevada desert, along with a soaked jacket. Both dried out in about 20 minutes of riding.

I am using this. Pretty good. Fill it with about 600 ml of water. Leave it in the fridge the day before. About an hour before I ride put it in the freezer.
Have experimented with it in many ways to see how efficient it is.
First thing before I ride I roll it up in a small garbage bag. Put in my side bag and ride till it gets hot. 2-3 hours)Then put it on.
Works fine.
Carry an extra bottle of frozen water then I can top it up.
When I get home I hang it in the garage. Don`t want to leave any yucky water in it.
Important is that you get a tight fit. Close to the body, etc.

Evaporative Cooling Vest, Wearer Stays Cool and Dry, Breathable Comfort, Ergodyne Chill-Its 6685

dry fit long sleeve shirt and pants under your mesh jacket and mesh pants is great

They work, but they work way better in a dry environment than a humid one. Makes sense, when it's humid the air doesn't absorb as much moisture. When riding in humidity (which is 100% of the hot weather we get here) it helps, but is kind of swampy.

BTW, if you are wearing one and it goes dry, it's doing it's job. It's miles better than just a wet t-shirt, which is miles better than nothing

I am using this. Pretty good. Fill it with about 600 ml of water. Leave it in the fridge the day before. About an hour before I ride put it in the freezer.
Have experimented with it in many ways to see how efficient it is.
First thing before I ride I roll it up in a small garbage bag. Put in my side bag and ride till it gets hot. 2-3 hours)Then put it on.
Works fine.
Carry an extra bottle of frozen water then I can top it up.
When I get home I hang it in the garage. Don`t want to leave any yucky water in it.
Important is that you get a tight fit. Close to the body, etc.

Evaporative Cooling Vest, Wearer Stays Cool and Dry, Breathable Comfort, Ergodyne Chill-Its 6685

How easily does it absorb water? Do you have to let it soak in water for an extended period of time or can you just dump a water bottle over it and your good to go for a bit again?

There is a plug in the top of the vest. That is where you pourr the water in. Then I squish the jacket around to circulate it.
Good to go immediately.
Absorbs water very easily. Sort of like a fibre throughout the jacket.

Back
Top Bottom