anyone have the doohickey tools in toronto? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

anyone have the doohickey tools in toronto?

I did replace mine last year, although it really didn’t need replacing. 33000 on the clock
We're not actually trying to do the doohicky. My friend was doing a valve adjustment and dropped a bolt down the cam chain hole.

We're going to order the tools, but we had also booked some time off work for a trip up north and were trying to save it before the weekend.

Try looking for a KLR group or an adventure/offroad group in Facebook and see if there is anyone local that may have one.

You can also try calling dual sport plus to see if they have something or maybe they know if someone that might be able to help.

Desperate times call for desperate measures

Dualsport Plus
+1 888-990-9013

No problem about the offer on my side.

Dualsport Plus - Google Search
They didn't answer when I tried them today but I'll give em a try tomorrow!

If you could find it, that would be awesome!

That's our current plan, to get that puller. The issue is that it seems you need the holder. There's some surface area where you could perhaps hold the flywheel with a crescent / adjustable wrench and I think this would work to get it off. But to put it back on - the torque is 150 ft.lbs. I don't know that a crescent wrench on an angle into there is going to hold on what little surface there is there to get it onto. But that may end up being what we have to try.

Thank you for your offer of help + links. Appreciate it a lot
Found the tools. PM sent.

We're not actually trying to do the doohicky. My friend was doing a valve adjustment and dropped a bolt down the cam chain hole.

We're going to order the tools, but we had also booked some time off work for a trip up north and were trying to save it before the weekend.
Have you pulled the engine side cover? I dropped a locator/aligment dowel pin down the cam chain doing the valves and managed to get it with a magnet on a stick after pulling the side cover.

Any chance you are still active and in the area? A friend of mine had a mishap and dropped a bolt into the camchain while doing a valve job in prep for an upcoming ride this weekend which we've taken some time off work for.

If you're around and we could borrow the tool you'd be a real life saver!
Try a rare earth magnet on a piece of wire. I've done this way too many times.

Have you pulled the engine side cover? I dropped a locator/aligment dowel pin down the cam chain doing the valves and managed to get it with a magnet on a stick after pulling the side cover.
Yes we have it off. We've tried a few ways of getting a magnet yet, but no luck so far. We may have sourced some tools, so I'll update!

Really want to thank everyone here for being so helpful. I hadn't known of this forum until stumbling on it trying to source these tools. I'm happy to see it is so active and finding this community is a silver lining of all the trouble this dropped bolt has caused.

If there's any other ADV riders who are looking for friends in city to ride with - feel free to reach out to me! Always looking for more people to share rides with.

Yes we have it off. We've tried a few ways of getting a magnet yet, but no luck so far. We may have sourced some tools, so I'll update!

Really want to thank everyone here for being so helpful. I hadn't known of this forum until stumbling on it trying to source these tools. I'm happy to see it is so active and finding this community is a silver lining of all the trouble this dropped bolt has caused.

If there's any other ADV riders who are looking for friends in city to ride with - feel free to reach out to me! Always looking for more people to share rides with.
I use the tiny rare earth magnets that come in a tube from PA. I tack weld that to a mechanic's wire so I can push it where the part should be (a string is hopeless as will find and stick to the first ferrous part.

Alternately, you can just stick the magnet to the chain and spin it through -- like I did a while back in this pic (the magnet is on the back side of the chain), I recovered a cam retainer I dropped into the well. The magnet is circled.

1716409159879.png

1716408962644.png

I use the tiny rare earth magnets that come in a tube from PA. I tack weld that to a mechanic's wire so I can push it where the part should be (a string is hopeless as will find and stick to the first ferrous part.

Alternately, you can just stick the magnet to the chain and spin it through -- like I did a while back in this pic (the magnet is on the back side of the chain), I recovered a cam retainer I dropped into the well. The magnet is circled.
This is an awesome idea! Really wish we would have tried that!

We managed to get some tools and got the flywheel off and back on again.

The bolt had fallen pretty far forward. It was further out from the bike than the doohicky spring itself is. Pretty much up against the flywheel cover itself. Not sure how it got that far but it was a pretty small bolt. The little 8 mil for the cam chain protector / cover. I don't think we would have gotten it any other way because of how in the way even the starter gear was.

In any case, finally we have the bolt out and the bike is going back together.

Thanks again to all who reached out to help. Special shoutout to KLR Junkie for offering to borrow his tools.

At least you found the bolt.

Last week a thought I dropped a tiny screw from the fuel tank cap into the fuel tank.
FFFAAKKK

Tried to fish it out with a magnet. Even tried using a camera scope.
Ended up draining fuel and removing the tank and fuel pump.
PITA on a DL1050 with upper crash bars.
All plastics need to come off in order to remove the tank. Even a bigger PITA if you want to do this without removing the upper crash bars.

All these 2 days before leaving for PA.

BTW the tiny screw is still MIA.😡😡

At least you found the bolt.

Last week a thought I dropped a tiny screw from the fuel tank cap into the fuel tank.
FFFAAKKK

Tried to fish it out with a magnet. Even tried using a camera scope.
Ended up draining fuel and removing the tank and fuel pump.
PITA on a DL1050 with upper crash bars.
All plastics need to come off in order to remove the tank. Even a bigger PITA if you want to do this without removing the upper crash bars.

All these 2 days before leaving for PA.

BTW the tiny screw is still MIA.😡😡
I would be shocked if a tiny screw in the tank caused you issues. Maybe if you were @V-Tom , it would wear through the bottom but otherwise it would be pretty hard for it to get into a location where it caused a problem.

Back
Top Bottom