Anyone have an interesting off-season project? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone have an interesting off-season project?

new boots is good
you could try cleaning the carbs with brush and cleaner, compressed air is good
lots of you tube videos of cleaning carbs - even good green cleaners. might not need ultrsonic. look and see.

post this blurp in technical and you may find some useful help.
You're right. Disassembling and soaking them in carb cleaner for a couple/few days works. I had a couple Mikuni carbs that came with my commando that were in rough (understatement) shape. Soaked them in carb cleaner, tidied them up, and they're ready for seal replacement etc. by the new owner.

Buying a vehicle that will suit my wife's needs better. Tacoma is way too high. Civic is too low. She has a folding electric wheelchair that goes into the civics trunk easily. Her mobility isn't so bad that we need a caravan with side entry. A Google search comes up with Kia Soul,Camry,Sonata and Passat.A friend is being a new Camry over on Fri to try.
I'm going to take my time.

Sounds like you're looking at new cars - if older are a consideration, Scion XB is probably the best.
YouTube: RegularCars Scion XB

Whatchya workin' on?

Anyone?

Even projects are covid priced right now...

Any basket-case bikes?

I picked up a gsxr600 off a co-worker (in much worse shape than she said...)

Paid too much.

I guess because I wouldn't sell junk to a friend, I assumed neither would she.

Nothing I can't fix, but condition and km should dictate price... and I paid too much.

Anyways:

'07 gsxr600
45,000k (she told me it had 30,000...)
Tires are 8 years old.
Chain and sprockets are done.
Missing fasteners.
Dent in tank (I wanted ugly. I'm okay with that).
Bodged wiring.
Lightly crashed on the right side. Rearset bent. A bit of fairing rash.

Rear brake rotor bent.
Overfilled with oil (I hope it wasn't so the oil pick-up doesnt starve the engine in prolonged wheelies.) Hopefully its just a maintenance dumb p.o.

I know I'll find more issues.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Wow that's quite the hack. It's identical to the 07 GSXR600 I bought years ago as a track bike build. Rear subframe bent a bit to one side, couple other small things and a bent rotor but no dents of real damage other than that. Paid $3000 for it. Sold all the bodywork which paid for nice used track fairings, replacement used subframe and rear box thingy that was cracked, full Yosh exhaust (used also). Found a used rotor and a grabbed a full Ohlins shock/fork internals for around $1000 and had a very nice track bike. Few other small things like R6 throttle tube, EBC pads, etc and had a great track bike for under $4500. Sold it after 7ish years for more than I had into it.

I just picked up two cool old "bikes". A 1984 honda nq50 spree and a 1977 honda pc50. Both complete, both running, basically need TLC and general maintenance.
I'll likely be selling them later.
2a930efbf0c138e50ae210773d91f811.jpg
08df4a851dbf048675c440206076b536.jpg
16e23b09c2ced6fed77d456d5366e260.jpg

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

My wife has a 2019 Mazda CX5 and had a CRV before it.

It seems to me the Mazda is easier to get in and out. ...
I got one for my parents for exactly that reason. They tried everything in the CUV small SUV class, Mazda CX5 came 1st, Ford Escape 2nd. The Escape lost because 1) my 5'2 mother couldn't reach the 'close tailgate' button when the rear hatch was open, and 2) the local Ford dealer - who did a credit check on $1500/mo then tried badgering us into a Lincoln.

Bought this last winter but never got to it. 2001 Shadow Spirit 750. Sitting about 18 years, all original 5800 km but missing key, front fender, side panels and 4 broken signals. I have key cut and all body parts now. Second is a 2007 Vespa LX150. Just tires, throttle assembly and autochoke / Bystarter. Bystarter is more expensive than tires.

RMzKlax.gif

uSLlkoG.gif

yG5oN3v.jpg

Picked up some more gsxr parts.

Swapped on a set of 50mm vortex clip-ons that I thought I had lost in my boxes of parts. Crazy that these are slightly taller than the stock clip-ons.

Got a rear rim and front rotors off kijiji. Seller used to race csbk (or still does). Used to teach at track days for Pro6.

Nice guy.
Just a good deal for spares. My front right rotor has a bit of runout. Likely from it being crashed. Looks like less than a mil, so likely won't feel it when riding.

The rotors I picked up; the buttons were converted to full floating. He was using it on his old racebike. With the play in the rotors, might be a little wierd to run them on the street.

0b1226d6ee2150fbbba207a6f31cb8ef.jpg
9187206f26a03d71667bf34daeb3ce8c.jpg

Picked up some more gsxr parts.

Swapped on a set of 50mm vortex clip-ons that I thought I had lost in my boxes of parts. Crazy that these are slightly taller than the stock clip-ons.

Got a rear rim and front rotors off kijiji. Seller used to race csbk (or still does). Used to teach at track days for Pro6.

Nice guy.
Just a good deal for spares. My front right rotor has a bit of runout. Likely from it being crashed. Looks like less than a mil, so likely won't feel it when riding.

The rotors I picked up; the buttons were converted to full floating. He was using it on his old racebike. With the play in the rotors, might be a little wierd to run them on the street.

0b1226d6ee2150fbbba207a6f31cb8ef.jpg
9187206f26a03d71667bf34daeb3ce8c.jpg
When you say full floating do you mean they rattle around because they are so loose?

When you say full floating do you mean they rattle around because they are so loose?
The washers on the back of the buttons are modified to allow the rotor to move more in the carrier.

When racing, if you get a big tank slapper, it can push the caliper pistons back into their bores. The next corner you brake into, you won't have any brakes until the pistons push back out against the pads and the disks.
When the rotor portion floats, it doesn't push the pistons in, but it might feel a little odd on a streetbike.

Might use them if I track the bike, but honestly, I'm not fast enough for it to matter.

The washers on the back of the buttons are modified to allow the rotor to move more in the carrier.

When racing, if you get a big tank slapper, it can push the caliper pistons back into their bores. The next corner you brake into, you won't have any brakes until the pistons push back out against the pads and the disks.
When the rotor portion floats, it doesn't push the pistons in, but it might feel a little odd on a streetbike.

Might use them if I track the bike, but honestly, I'm not fast enough for it to matter.

I have rotors on a set of rain tire rims that rattle around quite a bit. Ebc. They are set up for a full race bike but seem a bit loose! Is there a point when they would be considered too loose?

I have rotors on a set of rain tire rims that rattle around quite a bit. Ebc. They are set up for a full race bike but seem a bit loose! Is there a point when they would be considered too loose?
Good question. Honestly not sure.
These ones rattle a little bit. Its side to side play, not really much front to back.
@Brian P
His zx-10 had worn out rotors that rattled like a tambourine... 100,000k will do that.

You could grab it and shake it on the rim.

The EBC pro-lite rotors i have used were very noisy but always passed tech inspection at track days.
I think EBC has tolerances that should be on thier site.

Back
Top Bottom