Anyone else see this? Aprilia RS 660

Lightcycle

Rounder of bolts, Dropper of tools
Site Supporter
2020_Aprilia_RS_660_black_left.jpg

2020_Aprilia_RS_660_purple_red_right.jpg

Aprilia_RS_660_display_street.jpg

Parallel twin, 100 hp.

Looks to be aimed at the 650cc market. A sportier alternative to the CBR650F and Ninja 650R. Or maybe a detuned alternative to the 600cc supersports.

Jam packed with technology: TFT screen, traction control, wheelie control, quick shifter, cruise control and lean sensor for ABS intervention.

Clip-ons are super-aggressive though. My wrists hurt just looking at it.

Sexy.

Still waiting on the tuono version

Still waiting on the tuono version

You know, looking at the concept bike:

aprilia-tuono-660-might-be-nearing-production-147106_1.jpeg

So much plastic on a "naked" bike, it's basically 2 small panels away from looking exactly like the full faired RS 660.

Really, the only major differences are the higher bars and the detuned engine.

Personally, if I was cross-shopping the two, I'd opt for the full-powered version and just slap some helibars on it...

2020_Aprilia_RS_660_black_left.jpg

2020_Aprilia_RS_660_purple_red_right.jpg

Aprilia_RS_660_display_street.jpg

Parallel twin, 100 hp.

Don't like the front end...

and parallel twins sound like mopeds running without mufflers at 6,500 feet above sea level, when a custom exhaust is put on them :p

Don't like the front end...

and parallel twins sound like mopeds running without mufflers at 6,500 feet above sea level, when a custom exhaust is put on them :p
The blue makes me happy. I agree about the sound of a parallel twin. I have never heard one I liked.

I like it, wonder what insurance would be like.

was wondering about the firing sequence
yeah the Yamaha CP2 sounds okay

can't see Aprilia marketing a bike that sounds like a lawn mower
I find it a strange thing....they've always been a V company

In-line engine is less expensive ... lower parts count. Only has one cylinder head and cam-drive mechanism. I believe this engine is more-or-less one bank of the Aprilia V4 engine. It is almost sure to have a 90-degree crank or close to it (like the Yamaha FZ/MT-07 engine, and the KTM 790/890 engine).

The claimed power output is strong. Even if real world rear wheel power is 90% of that, that's on par with a well-built SV650 or Ninja 650 or FZ07 engine. Stock, those are not near that.

I like it a lot!

Hopefully cheap. Some of the current Aprilia bikes are insurance loopholes. Got insanely low quotes

apart from the tuono, yes

Would you mind sharing who you insure with? I was left with TD and Intact, neither of which I would call cheap...

I’m with Allstate and have everything with them. I’m also close to 40, have a clean driving record and live out in the country.

Huh. Maybe somebody spent 5 seconds on their website and decided that everything they make is like the SR50

Dang. I could have sworn I got a quote from them, but now that I think of it I might have called State Farm instead...

Thanks!
FWIW I was with TDMM forever and then Desjardins undercut them by a good chunk on the bike and matched the rate on my car this year. Small bonus I've been getting pandemic rebates as well but I suspect I've seen the last of those....

Total thread derail, apologies all.

No loopholes here. Just got quoted $5,100 (!) for the year from Allstate. Rider training, 19 years riding experience, clean record, no claims, live in Hamilton. The only issue is that I don't have continuous insurance because of my time in BC (you buy only what you need there, I usually got 6 months from May through October). There would be a $250 discount if I added house or car insurance. She said the bike was considered a high-risk model, so I wouldn't rock the boat, @Katatonic . If they keep you on at your rate, sit tight.

As for Desjardins, it's a much more competitive, as long as the added income replacement is off the table. They're at ~$1,400/yr, but adding $1,000/wk income replacement tacks on an astronomical $1,000/yr. Aside from that, they're slightly cheaper than TD, though TD's income replacement is much cheaper.

(If anyone is wondering, just for comparison's sake, I was paying about $1,100/yr in BC living in a suburb of Vancouver. Included 6 months of liability with $5M coverage for $116/mo and $400/yr for comprehensive with a $500 deductible, fixed value replacement (i.e. they pay what you tell them the bike is worth when you sign up, regardless of depreciation), $1000/wk income replacement, and similar injury benefits. So far, the cheapest I've found here is through TD, at just under $2,000. Granted, the increased income replacement and $2M liability jacks the rate up a fair bit, and without those it's about $1,400. Don't get me wrong, I'm not boosting BC at all - I moved back for a reason! - but the insurance system there is so much kinder to motorcycles. Cost aside, it's much more transparent, so it's easier to understand what affects your rate. They assign fault, too, which I think is a fairer system.)

Back
Top Bottom