Anybody with a full speed bike and a scooter (LSM)? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anybody with a full speed bike and a scooter (LSM)?

Emefef

Site Supporter
I'm getting a 50 cc scooter because .....well just because. I've always wondered if I had both, what would be the determining factor each day when I decide what to take. Frankly, for my commute I certainly don't need the power of a 600cc sport bike, but I like taking the hwy for my route. And when the traffic does open up, I like to GO.
But the fuel economy, manoeuvrability and comfort of the scooter may outweigh those things. Anyone else have both?

I rode a ruckus to work daily for about 2 years, most fun I've had riding on the street, the thing was a riot.

I rode a ruckus to work daily for about 2 years, most fun I've had riding on the street, the thing was a riot.

I have contemplated picking one up and modding it with some of the kits available, something like this:
Lorax204.jpg

I had a buddy into the whole mod scene when we were like 19. He would let me blast around on his modded vespa, the thing was a blast

There is the Burgman: sport bike in scooter clothing.

There is the Burgman: sport bike in scooter clothing.
I'm getting this because it was a deal I couldn't pass up, and the insurance premium is laughable. If I was actually looking for a scooter, I would have been looking for at least a 125 so I could ride wherever I wanted. It's fun to ride, i'm just not sure I would prefer it when I have the choice. It's a Kymco Super 9 - lots of mods possible too.

I have a BWS50 along with my VFR800. The 50 is great for my commute to work and I've calculated its fuel savings (over the car) is at least close to its insurance cost for the year. Commuting in stop and go traffic is much easier with the scooter over the bike, and it's still more fuel efficient by a decent margin.

Have a 2 stroke 50cc.. Way too much fun, just picked up a cbr250 because slow bikes are more fun

One of those new Honda Groms look like they would be a hoot to ride in an urban environment.

Kid is thinking about a small scoot for winter and store the FZ8 - he's not far from work and has ridden a Zuma all winter in the past.
Zuma's have good road presence - dual lights etc.
Ruckus looks good as well but I don't know about insurance cost = the usual crap.
125 CC give you much more flex in speeds.

Burgman 650 not for a winter bike tho with all the protection it's fine in the cold. It's too heavy for any slushy/icy situation....and all that tupperware is expensive.

I like my winter solution....ride in Australia :D

ScreenShot2013-04-03atApr3201373559PM_zps3dbb7e46.jpg

Last edited:
I rode my buddy's Ruckus and it was a blast!

Had a Yamaha Vino 125 myself for a few months this season as a runabout. Great little scooter.

The Grom looks very interesting too. Can't wait for it to get here so I can take one out for a test ride.

Burgman 400 or a Honda CB500x are superb commuters you can do light touring on.
But difference price and insurance category.

CB500x is a classic. Great machine.

BTW there is rumour of a Burgman 250 coming to North America ( they are really popular in Europe )

I'm getting a 50 cc scooter because .....well just because. I've always wondered if I had both, what would be the determining factor each day when I decide what to take. Frankly, for my commute I certainly don't need the power of a 600cc sport bike, but I like taking the hwy for my route. And when the traffic does open up, I like to GO.
But the fuel economy, manoeuvrability and comfort of the scooter may outweigh those things.Anyone else have both?

I have something that's a combination of both.
Yamaha TMAX
its good for the HWY and is comfortable.

I did consider picking up a little one just for kicks but
considering scooters uses an automatic CVT transmission, I wouldn't get anything less than 200cc
Cant' say the fuel economy is like a 50cc (its 500cc) but I would much rather have the ability to go on any hwy with ease than save a $1 or 2 here and there.

the ability to accelerate to match traffic flow is an important safety feature, sometimes even more so than brakes...
so would you consider riding a bike with underpowered brakes? I wouldn't.
maybe that's just me.

no he's not.....

http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2006/10/04/scoot-touring-the-honda-silverwing-and-suzuki-burgman/

argue with the VFR800 rider....

In the twists the Burgman, surprisingly despite its mass, is having an easier time of it, with its power mode Kevin can make better use of the engine’s compression braking and then torque out of the corners with better pickup. If this were a race, rather than a frolic there would be no losing the Suzuki. For a while Kevin’s even switched to manual mode, but futzing with the buttons becomes bothersome. The Burgman’s suspension is a bit more settled through here too, taking up the bumps and wallows better – it’s a more refined experience.

Eventually things settle down and we pull into a rest stop for a bike switch, gales of laughter, and conversation as to how the scooters, an advised use of the term, fare when thoroughly “tested”. Giovanni puts it best, “I’m shocked. I’d say you were doing 80 percent of a sportbike’s pace.

track rider on a VFR800

And there are thousands of Burgman 650 owners will tell you the same thing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom