Anybody use a Healtech Thunderbox? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anybody use a Healtech Thunderbox?

Baggsy

Site Supporter
Pros? Cons? Loves? Hates?
I hate tapping into wires, and this supposedly allows you to not do that, and still kills power when the key is off.
I think they're based in Hungary, so ordering has to be through Bayside Performance in B.C.

This is the thing I got: Healtech Thunderbox U01
It supports four connections.
healtech-thunderbox-unit.jpg

I have a set of heated grips with similar electronics built-in. You can wire them directly to the battery and they'll shut themselves off if they sense that the bike is no longer running, without the need for a switched relay. They appear to monitor small fluctuations in the bike's voltage in order to determine if the bike is running or not.

They work pretty well. The small drawback of this approach is that they can be fooled into thinking that the bike is no longer running unless you vary your RPMs every now and then. Like if you leave the bike idling, or if you use a throttle lock on a long highway stretch, the running voltage can stay steady and flat long enough that the electronics think that the bike has been shut off. That's not a big deal with heated grips, but it could be somewhat annoying if you're using electronic devices that shut themselves off when power is removed, like some GPS units or dashcams that don't have their own built-in battery.

No idea about that particular unit, but Healtech have become the standard for speedo adjustment to address gearing changes etc. (Speedo-healer, hence the company name), as well as gear indicators. They make quality stuff.

I used one on my Suzuki to automatically turn off the aftermkt KOSO heated grips as well as a 12v socket I has some accessories plugged into. It worked on the accessories but never on the grips so i eventually just removed it.

I've got it sitting at home if you want to try it cheaper than new.

I used one on my Suzuki to automatically turn off the aftermkt KOSO heated grips as well as a 12v socket I has some accessories plugged into. It worked on the accessories but never on the grips so i eventually just removed it.

I've got it sitting at home if you want to try it cheaper than new.
Unfortunately, I'd already ordered it.

I have one on my bike and it works very well,also have healtech quick shifter,great product.

Pros? Cons? Loves? Hates?
I hate tapping into wires, and this supposedly allows you to not do that, and still kills power when the key is off.
I think they're based in Hungary, so ordering has to be through Bayside Performance in B.C.

This is the thing I got: Healtech Thunderbox U01
It supports four connections.
healtech-thunderbox-unit.jpg
$100+ bucks for that gizmo. Neat idea, but expensive. It can be installed using only the red & black plugged directly to the battery.

If you wanted to splice in just one wire (trigger), a simple 4 pin pigtailed relay, 5 crimp ring connectors and an 20A circuit breaker can be done for about $15.

If I remember correctly the Thunderbox turns all accessories off once battery voltage reached a certain voltage (the true benefit of it really).

I'm not the best at electronics, does that $15 DIY do that?

If I remember correctly the Thunderbox turns all accessories off once battery voltage reached a certain voltage (the true benefit of it really).

The $15 solution turns everything off when the key is off. No voltage monitoring.

Reactions: LBV
In one sense it's an $85 relay switch, and in another it's a space saver.

I've put fuse & ground blocks in other bikes with the relay, but they take up room.

If it works, I can also run a $15 DIY relay switch off of it, if needed.

A relay switches cuts power to connected accessories when the key is turned off. A Thunderbox does it when it notices the alternator is not charging the battery (or optionally the same way as a relay if you connect it's white wire).

There isn't really a benefit to the power cutoff scheme used by a Thunderbox as far as preserving battery -- A Thunderbox's main benefit is its simple 2 wire installation -- the only tech skill required is knowing which end of a screwdriver goes into the battery's screw post. I'm not sure that's all they are beneficial either as installing a trigger wire is about the most basic electrical problem anyone will face on a bike's electrics. It's probably tougher to install the 'accessories' than the relay or Thunderbox.

In one sense it's an $85 relay switch, and in another it's a space saver.

I've put fuse & ground blocks in other bikes with the relay, but they take up room.

If it works, I can also run a $15 DIY relay switch off of it, if needed.
Thunderbox is double the size of a relay - not going to save space.

If you require a separate fusebox or wiring block, it would be required whether you use a relay or Thunderbox.

The $15 solution turns everything off when the key is off. No voltage monitoring.
I'd buy a couple if someone made them.

Currently I've a got an add-a-circuit into a fuse and it's working but I had to slice into the top of the fuse box to be able to put it back on and even then it's not ideal.

Test of a USB port to charge a cell phone worked.
Here's a picture of it beside what I believe is a relay:
9HefoHol.jpg

Stupid service light seems to be on, since I disconnected the battery. I hope there's a software update for that.

Friday I'll try installing the two dashcams. This should make it a little easier.

Back
Top Bottom