Any recommendations on a Dolly? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any recommendations on a Dolly?

Akshun

Site Supporter
Im interested in a motorcycle dolly for my storage unit. Itd help move it about. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im interested in a motorcycle dolly for my storage unit. Itd help move it about. Any recommendations?

Which bike? The pimp dollies that go through the rear swingarm bolt are secure but expensive if your bike can use them. The long C channel that grabs your side stand works but are normally a little shady out of the box.

With a light bike, three moving dollies might work (need to lift it on instead of riding it on).

I have two of these style, although the price has gone way up. I think I paid half of this: Universal Adjustable Motorcycle Dolly for Harley or Metric Models - 1100lb Limit

They are very heavy and solidly built. They're reasonably easy to store by leaning them up against the wall when you're not using them, but they're still good for stubbing your toe on. There are versions without the sidestand arm if you happen to have a bike with a centrestand.

I also use two of the 12" version of these: https://www.princessauto.com/en/tri-dollies/product/PA1000001553

To use the tri-dollies you stand on the left side of the bike and pull it towards you, levering the back wheel off the ground with the sidestand, then kick the first dolly under the rear wheel. Then stand the bike upright and kick the second dolly under the sidestand. This is considerably sketchier than a purpose-made solution, but they're cheap and they don't get in the way at all when you're not using them. These work well with dirt bikes.

With either approach, pay close attention to the kickstand when pushing the bike around on the dolly. If the kickstand folds up while pushing forward you're going to find some new swear words. The bike should be in gear to prevent rolling off the dolly, but even so it's worth being careful. I occasionally tie the kickstand forward to the frame so it can't fold up.

If you are still hunting one down I just sold my Goldwing so have a heavy duty dolly soon to sell cheap that I can send pics of.

Please do…

Which bike? The pimp dollies that go through the rear swingarm bolt are secure but expensive if your bike can use them. The long C channel that grabs your side stand works but are normally a little shady out of the box.

With a light bike, three moving dollies might work (need to lift it on instead of riding it on).

For a newer Kawasaki z900

I have two of these style, although the price has gone way up. I think I paid half of this: Universal Adjustable Motorcycle Dolly for Harley or Metric Models - 1100lb Limit

They are very heavy and solidly built. They're reasonably easy to store by leaning them up against the wall when you're not using them, but they're still good for stubbing your toe on. There are versions without the sidestand arm if you happen to have a bike with a centrestand.

I also use two of the 12" version of these: https://www.princessauto.com/en/tri-dollies/product/PA1000001553

To use the tri-dollies you stand on the left side of the bike and pull it towards you, levering the back wheel off the ground with the sidestand, then kick the first dolly under the rear wheel. Then stand the bike upright and kick the second dolly under the sidestand. This is considerably sketchier than a purpose-made solution, but they're cheap and they don't get in the way at all when you're not using them. These work well with dirt bikes.

With either approach, pay close attention to the kickstand when pushing the bike around on the dolly. If the kickstand folds up while pushing forward you're going to find some new swear words. The bike should be in gear to prevent rolling off the dolly, but even so it's worth being careful. I occasionally tie the kickstand forward to the frame so it can't fold up.

Interesting way of getting the bike on them lol

Attachments

• dolly1.jpeg
    dolly1.jpeg
    38.3 KB · Views: 9
  • dolly5.jpeg
    dolly5.jpeg
    37.7 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom