Any opinions on the Yamaha FZ8? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any opinions on the Yamaha FZ8?

shadowman

Site Supporter
Hey guys, I'm thinking about upgrading from my GSX650F. It's been a great bike, but I think it may be time to try something different. I really like the upright seating position, so I don't think I'm looking for an SS at all. The naked look has always appealed to me and I've noticed some good deals on leftover 2012 FZ8s. I did a search on "fz8" and got nothing, even though I'm sure I remember reading posts on here about them.
If anyone has any experience with them, I'd love to hear what your opinions are.

Hey guys, I'm thinking about upgrading from my GSX650F. It's been a great bike, but I think it may be time to try something different. I really like the upright seating position, so I don't think I'm looking for an SS at all. The naked look has always appealed to me and I've noticed some good deals on leftover 2012 FZ8s. I did a search on "fz8" and got nothing, even though I'm sure I remember reading posts on here about them.
If anyone has any experience with them, I'd love to hear what your opinions are.

Try Googling 2012 Fazer8/FZ8 problems to see what you get. That's how I've been finding info regarding the bikes I want.

Any reason you're not looking at the FZ1?

GTAM doesn't seem to support search of only three symbols. How I noticed? Well, I used to have an FZ6 and could never find anything searching just that.

Back to topic---I used to love my FZ6. But the bare fact you're considering FZ8 makes me say it---go for the FZ1. I had the chance to ride one and it was amazing. You're looking at the FZ-line (exclude FZ6R from the list), means you'll be riding it on the street. Get the FZ1---amazing bike, so are the FZ6 and probably FZ8, but with more torque down low. If I were to be buying a street bike with the requirements you've stated, FZ1 would be my first choice!

(that's many "FZ" words in my post, lol..that's how much I love them ;) )

I put a lot of saddle time on my gen2 fz1, and have nothing but great things to say about it. The only reason I'm selling it is because I now have too many bikes. :(

Thanks for the replies. I prefer the fz8 to the fz1 because of its nakedness. I'm also extremely attracted to the deals on the leftover 2012s.
I know the 2013 is supposed to have fully adjustable suspension. I'm not sure if that's worth the extra money for the type of riding I do.

GTAM doesn't seem to support search of only three symbols. How I noticed? Well, I used to have an FZ6 and could never find anything searching just that.

Back to topic---I used to love my FZ6. But the bare fact you're considering FZ8 makes me say it---go for the FZ1. I had the chance to ride one and it was amazing. You're looking at the FZ-line (exclude FZ6R from the list), means you'll be riding it on the street. Get the FZ1---amazing bike, so are the FZ6 and probably FZ8, but with more torque down low. If I were to be buying a street bike with the requirements you've stated, FZ1 would be my first choice!

(that's many "FZ" words in my post, lol..that's how much I love them ;) )

Copy and paste this in google search bar "site:gtamotorcycle.com fz8"

I've been looking closely at the FZ8 this past week. I really like the looks of it and based on reviews it sounds like an overall great bike. The only real con I've heard is the soft suspension but I believe this has been addressed in the latest model.

I don't want to give up SS just yet but, if I ever get a dedicated track bike, the FZ8 will be high on my list for the street and touring.

Thanks for the replies. I prefer the fz8 to the fz1 because of its nakedness. I'm also extremely attracted to the deals on the leftover 2012s.
I know the 2013 is supposed to have fully adjustable suspension. I'm not sure if that's worth the extra money for the type of riding I do.

Agreed. If naked is what you're looking for FZ8 definitely looks more naked. FZ1 looks more sport touring.

I owned a 2012 50th Anniversary at the same time I bought my 2012 50th Anniversary R1.

The FZ8 is a great bike, suspension is on the soft side and no adjustment on the front fork but not sure how hard you ride, it may not be an issue.

-1 on the front sprocket and a lighter free flowing exhaust made a big difference, I found.

I had 3 bikes at the time so I decided to part with it but no real complaints other than lack of wind protection which I found tired me out at sustained speeds of 120 km's and up.

DSCF18122.jpg

I owned a 2012 50th Anniversary at the same time I bought my 2012 50th Anniversary R1.

The FZ8 is a great bike, suspension is on the soft side and no adjustment on the front fork but not sure how hard you ride, it may not be an issue.

-1 on the front sprocket and a lighter free flowing exhaust made a big difference, I found.

I had 3 bikes at the time so I decided to part with it but no real complaints other than lack of wind protection which I found tired me out at sustained speeds of 120 km's and up.

DSCF18122.jpg
I really don't ride that hard. I'm an older guy, and I've really attached to my license...I'd hate to lose it.
To be honest, I've never really felt a lack of performance from my GSX650F. I'd just like to try something different.
Nice looking bike BTW. The exhaust is a huge improvement over the fugly factory one.

I am an older guy as well at 46 but I still have a passion for performance but I dodged a real bullet this Summer coming home from the cottage with an Officer of the law hence my change to my Raider S to try to slow down a bit.

The Yosh R77D looked and sounded just right on the FZ8 I would recommend it.

DSCF1820.jpg

DSCF1816.jpg

I just noticed that for 2013 the FZ8 comes with a fully adjustable front and rear suspension.

Last edited:
Copy and paste this in google search bar "site:gtamotorcycle.com fz8"

This is pretty much the only way to get a decent search on any Internet forum. Or almost any website for that matter. Even if they have a search function no one's works as good as Google.

I'm ALL for the FZ8!
Sexy, naked, mean looking, torquey, comfy... all aspects I want in a bike!

Took it on a demo ride and it was very natural to ride. Nimble and light and surprisingly, not much wind resistance. It's incredibly torquey, but that just may have been from me coming off a GS500 at the time.

Go for it !

DSCF18122.jpg

That fz8 looks seriously cool.
How was the torque off the line?

I normally don't give Yammies a second look, but that is one seriously smoking good looking bike!

OP. I'd do a FZ1 myself, and don't forget the BMW F800series as a wildcard! The S, R and ST models are all decent options too!

I took a fazer 8 (the half faired version) for a rip and while I loved the seating position, it tried to cook my nuts on a 1/2 hour demo around Barrie. It was very comfortable, but the front end was a little soft for my liking. The FZ8 is probably one of the best looking naked bikes around, imo.

Back
Top Bottom