Any hope for this windshield? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any hope for this windshield?

I guess I never had to worry about it till now and I wouldn’t have known any better how high it needed to be or how low it needed to sit. Never paid attention to other bikes.
I’ll call a couple of detailing places tomorrow and check.
As for the polycarbonate sheet, does anyone have a hookup? Not sure if i can just go to Home Depot and get one lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish is worth a try. I use it on everything. It took the haze out of a 20 year old ski doo windshield after polishing both sides.

I guess I never had to worry about it till now and I wouldn’t have known any better how high it needed to be or how low it needed to sit. Never paid attention to other bikes.
I’ll call a couple of detailing places tomorrow and check.
As for the polycarbonate sheet, does anyone have a hookup? Not sure if i can just go to Home Depot and get one lol.

Look for a plastic supply house. Be a lot cheaper than hd.

If you are paying labor to fix it, I would just buy a new windshield. If you want to keep using that windshield, I would be doing the labour myself or hiding the ugliness somehow.

If you add up the cost of buying all the suggestions and trying them a new windshield is the cheapest out and with guaranteed results.

I think you might even find something at Rona to Home Hardware, and you're right, products are going to be harder to source. Lowe's even has a listing for lexan

Given that the replacement part appears to be available commercially ... The labour and aggravation and probability of mis-steps and probabilty of a low-quality result, of heating and forming a flat plastic sheet into the right shape ... isn't worth the aggravation compared to just buying a new one.

It might be different if this were something irreplaceable, something where you couldn't pick a part number out of a catalog and order it, but that's not the case. Just order a replacement screen and be done with it.

Heat formed???? It's not exactly a bubble windscreen :/ are we looking at the same wind screen, this one is a ******* flat piece of poly held in a curve by some pretty heavy duty flat steel plates and 8 large bolts.

I’m looking at at least $140 USD for a replacement shield. Not to mention the shipping.

cca5437b2df3dcd3fc521a429e17853a.jpg

Heat formed (y)
606-952_A_V1.jpg
100 bucks inUSA

The screen in post #1 has visible curvature outside of the area where the brackets are holding it, and although it's hard to see in the photo, it's highly likely to have compound curvature, which cannot be achieved by pure bending. And it is quite clear that the original windscreen holds its shape without being constrained by the bolts/brackets.

Having said that, looking at the photo again, it's possible that a passable substitute might be possible by pure bending without thermal-forming, because the outside shape of it doesn't actually have to match up with anything. (I'm used to dealing with sportbike windscreens)

Select material carefully if you go that route. Acrylic (Plexiglas) will want to crack at stress risers (holes). Polycarbonate (Lexan, Macrolon) may have a fighting chance. Polycarbonate requires a UV-stabilizer to be built in to avoid yellowing in sunlight.

Once again ... the 15 year old MRA windscreen on my ZX10R, which is a good-as-OEM TUV-approved replacement screen, still looks like new ...

Last edited:
At the end of the day I just want a clear windshield lol.

I went for a 700km ride today through Algonquin and honestly it’s not “that” bad.

I could just live with it. However, if I get a replacement for cheap I’ll take it.

I just need the shield itself and the right holes which will take up the correct placement on my already existing hardware. And yeah I’m trying to not spend $140 USD + shipping + duty on a new one.

Appreciate all the inputs so far

Next time you're up Peterborough way checkout the basement at Cycle Salvage. I bought a really nice windshield there a few years ago that I cut to fit my existing batwing. It probably came directly off a frame like that at one point.

On that topic, cutting and finishing edges on lexan is way harder than it looks. Ask me how I know. You're unlikely to get a decent looking result starting with just a bare sheet and cutting and forming it yourself..

At the end of the day I just want a clear windshield lol.

I went for a 700km ride today through Algonquin and honestly it’s not “that” bad.

I could just live with it. However, if I get a replacement for cheap I’ll take it.

I just need the shield itself and the right holes which will take up the correct placement on my already existing hardware. And yeah I’m trying to not spend $140 USD + shipping + duty on a new one.

Appreciate all the inputs so far

If you don't look through it could it be painted to match the bike? Or a vinyl overlay, peel and stick.

Given that the replacement part appears to be available commercially ... The labour and aggravation and probability of mis-steps and probabilty of a low-quality result, of heating and forming a flat plastic sheet into the right shape ... isn't worth the aggravation compared to just buying a new one.

It might be different if this were something irreplaceable, something where you couldn't pick a part number out of a catalog and order it, but that's not the case. Just order a replacement screen and be done with it.

I like to experiment and if it was my own W/S a lot of the suggestions would be tried. Over the years I have accumulated a lot of mismatched knowledge taking on similar projects. I enjoy the learning even if the result is a failure. If you have learned something and survived, the effort wasn't a failure.

I would be wealthier in dollars if I wasn't so inclined but poorer in spirit.

You might be surprised how cheap a fabricated one is when you have a template - have you contacted any?
For your bike I think the tint would not look good but certainly will be cheapest

You might be surprised how cheap a fabricated one is when you have a template - have you contacted any?
For your bike I think the tint would not look good but certainly will be cheapest

I haven’t contacted anymore. Gonna sit down and search + call a few places over the weekend. If you have any suggestions let me know

Not sure what your time is worth, however I would just buy a new one at the $200+ price and keep riding, vs shopping around, spending days/weeks/hours, finding the right material, people, making templates and all.. I work at a fabrication facility with acrylic benders, lazer cutters, welders, etc... I make some things, however time is money, and I factor in the hours+material cost, majority of the time it's better to just buy aftermarket/OEM and be done with it.

Back
Top Bottom