Any hope for this windshield? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any hope for this windshield?

thegamb8

Can anyone tell what’s happened to my windshield? Can’t get the opaque parts to go away.

Took it down and gave it a good wash with some soap and water but no luck.

Trying not to spend $200+ on a new one.

Any suggestions on restoring or fixing are welcome.

Thanks in advance!
2ee4661a867cb4a9b71b4615f12a7ff6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just guessing but I suspect that most shields are either plexiglass or lexan with a layer of mylar to give it a tough surface. If the mylar is debonding you might be screwed

I remember something about using a heat gun to mildy melt the very top surface to remove minor scratches and restore plexiglass shields.

I've never tried it, but what do you have to lose?

Weird. Presumably something to do with UV as the protected strip isn't bad. You can probably polish it out (like refinishing headlights) but it will take a lot of elbow grease and I'm not sure how nice it will be to look through afterwards.

How often do you look through the windshield? Is it the appearance or function that bothers you? I was thinking something like tint or vinyl to hide the mess (obviously at the expense of visibility through the screen).

I think it's cooked!
But for what it's worth, you can polish the scratches out of plexi with Brasso and cardboard.

Can anyone tell what’s happened to my windshield? Can’t get the opaque parts to go away.

Took it down and gave it a good wash with some soap and water but no luck.

Trying not to spend $200+ on a new one.

Any suggestions on restoring or fixing are welcome.

Thanks in advance!
2ee4661a867cb4a9b71b4615f12a7ff6.jpg

Try Fortnine. That looks like a Memphis Shades Fats, they have replacements on sale from $80-115. https://fortnine.ca/en/memphis-shades-replacement-fats-windshield

Try Novus 3 then 2 and polish with 1 from plasticworld.ca

It removes scratches also take a thin layer out, I've restored aquarium and windshield with em

The uneven delamination or deterioration of the protective layer will be hard to overcome.
ya the more you look at that the more it looks like a pattern between layers.

you could take it to a car detail place
ask them to try the power buffer on it
nothing to lose

but if you can see clearly that it's de-lam
no bueno, it's toast

I might give this a shot. Any recommendations of a place in the Vaughan area?

If you are paying labor to fix it, I would just buy a new windshield. If you want to keep using that windshield, I would be doing the labour myself or hiding the ugliness somehow.

If you are paying labor to fix it, I would just buy a new windshield. If you want to keep using that windshield, I would be doing the labour myself or hiding the ugliness somehow.

I see your point. Makes sense. I just wanted to see if it can be done for cheap. Otherwise totally not worth the effort.

Try Fortnine. That looks like a Memphis Shades Fats, they have replacements on sale from $80-115. https://fortnine.ca/en/memphis-shades-replacement-fats-windshield

I looked at this in depth. Doesn’t look like it’s the same one I have. In fact, I just can’t seem to identify the make and model I have on my motorcycle

The way the holes are located (4 x horizontal and 2 x vertical each side) doesn’t match with anything on Fortnine.

Should I wing it and buy something of the estimated size? The just drill holes to make it fit with the existing hardware I guess.

Is that windshield something designed for your specific motorcycle model (in which case, buy some other equivalent replacement) or is it some sort of generic part that has been adapted ("universal fit", which I call "universal misfit", or "universal make-it-fit")?

I am only familiar with aftermarket windscreens for sport bikes, which are always designated for a specific motorcycle model (there are rare cases where the same part might fit multiple bikes - only when the original manufacturer did that), and I've never seen that happen. I have a MRA screen on one bike that is about 15 years old, and is still practically good as new. Even the cheapie Zero Gravity screens have stood up reasonably well with time.

Is that windshield something designed for your specific motorcycle model (in which case, buy some other equivalent replacement) or is it some sort of generic part that has been adapted ("universal fit", which I call "universal misfit", or "universal make-it-fit")?

I’m actually not sure. I bought the motorcycle used 8 years ago and it came along with the windshield.

So far what I think is that this is factory installed. I found this website selling OEM windshields and by the looks of it the placement of the bolts seems to be a perfect match.

The pic is my motorcycle.

I’m looking at at least $140 USD for a replacement shield. Not to mention the shipping.

cca5437b2df3dcd3fc521a429e17853a.jpg

Not really...you could find a place and drop it off...ask them to have a look in between cars...if it works they'll know in a minute...maybe another 5 to finish it...a good car detailer will have better equipment and chemicals than what you're likely to buy yourself at CTC

Sent from my Mi Note 3 using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I’m actually not sure. I bought the motorcycle used 8 years ago and it came along with the windshield.

So far what I think is that this is factory installed. I found this website selling OEM windshields and by the looks of it the placement of the bolts seems to be a perfect match.

The pic is my motorcycle.

I’m looking at at least $140 USD for a replacement shield. Not to mention the shipping.

cca5437b2df3dcd3fc521a429e17853a.jpg

Holy :| for that much money it sure doesn't conform to the position of the headlight very well, are you sure you couldn't just go buy a flat sheet of polycarbonate and make one using the old one as a basic pattern?

... without question the steel brackets are certainly strong and heavy duty enough (y)

Back
Top Bottom