Any good shops that specialize in vintage bikes? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any good shops that specialize in vintage bikes?

bobjohnson

So after my R3 got stolen, I'm looking to get my old 1980 CB125T back on the road. I did a bunch of work on it over the weekend but I'm just not going to have enough time to get this thing back to mint condition myself. Are there any good shops in toronto that specialize in vintage bikes, or even better vintage hondas? I tried searching around but couldnt find anyone.

I know of two fellows who are retired dealership mechanics who work only on vintage bikes.
The problem is they only work on BMWs.
I'm sure there must be someone in a similar position who does Hondas.
It takes a lot of time and effort to get your mechanic's papers and brand certification.
A little thing like retirement wouldn't stop them from working.

Nah, no offense if youre buddies with them or something, but the guy who runs cyclewerx is a huge ****. When I first got this bike he told me I needed to leave it at his shop for 2 full months until he could get around to safetying it. Then I bought a battery from them and it took him three days to get it charged for me even though I told him I was in a rush to get it and I would buy it uncharged and charge it myself. Never going back there. Sucks because theyre about 5 minutes from my house, but **** him.

I'm no friend of them, and I did experience the owner's ****** attitude. He was disgusted by my $30 work order (tire change w/me bringing my own tire). He even went to check with his tech to make sure I wasn't lying about the tire being mine. Total dick and anger-management case.

But he works on old beaters.

Timing, new points, carbs properly jetted and balanced. New chain, sprockets and tires as well. Maybe new piston rings and valves/seats. Left exhaust needs a weld at the joint. Also need some electrical work done because it doesnt have working signals at the moment and the lights are total trash, wouldnt mind having someone do a 12v conversion (its a 6v bike) which will probably require a full new harness to be made and new dynamo sourced or existing one rewound for 12v.

Basically this bike is just tired. Its 36 years old and apart from the preventative maintenance I've done to it since I got it, it has never really had any real work done on it, and with my insurance payout plus the fact im not scrounging to live anymore, i'd really love to just do a full restore on it. Normally I'd take it to rosey toes since those guys have always been real good to me and my vintage stuff, but for a full restore I just want to check if theres anyone thats specializing in this stuff. Plus I have a feeling I'll have to let Ted **** my sister to get him to build me a new wiring harness lol.

Timing, new points, carbs properly jetted and balanced. New chain, sprockets and tires as well. Maybe new piston rings and valves/seats. Left exhaust needs a weld at the joint. Also need some electrical work done because it doesnt have working signals at the moment and the lights are total trash, wouldnt mind having someone do a 12v conversion (its a 6v bike) which will probably require a full new harness to be made and new dynamo sourced or existing one rewound for 12v.

Basically this bike is just tired. Its 36 years old and apart from the preventative maintenance I've done to it since I got it, it has never really had any real work done on it, and with my insurance payout plus the fact im not scrounging to live anymore, i'd really love to just do a full restore on it. ...

For that amount of work and money it might be better to rethink things and go for a vintage Shadow 600, or a CB360. The CB125T is pretty uncommon, not to mention that it is 6v! Ride it as is, with maintenance, or upgrade to something at least with 12v, something that does not need complete reconstruction, new heart, new lungs, new nerves, new legs. Unless you are really into the CB125T. I do like the styling. How about the Suzuki TU250?

Even if you do this you'll still be riding a budget 1980s bike with inferior drum brakes. Nice looking, yes, but not nice riding. We've come a long way.

Last edited:
I know, I had an R3... But I like my 125T and I want to get it back to showroom condition. I dont care how much it costs. I would do it myself but I have no where to work on it, my extra space is being taken up by another project already.

I think the 125T rides better than the R3 in some ways, especially for city riding. Its about 1/2 the weight and size.

If I cant find anyone more local, I'll give that busche guy a call, he seems perfect except hes all the way out in durham.

Definitely worth restoring and riding. There's plenty of parts available for them since Honda made variations of that engine by the millions. My friend had a 1970 CB100 back in the 1970s. Very basic and easy to work on. Most of the stuff you say you have to fix you can do yourself. I wouldn't do the rings unless you are certain they need to be done, and then it should only be done by a machine shop (hone, rering, etc.). I agree with getting in touch with the Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Group. They will put you in touch with people who can help.

I'd give Mike at Clarington Cycle a call. Not in Toronto, but east in Hampton. I know he and his team have refreshed a few CB750's and late 70's Goldwings as well as a lot of regular customers having 70's and 80's bikes.

It looks like with is going to cost you a lot in parts and a hell of a lot more in labour charges.
You will end up spending $2k on a bike worth $500 maybe.

Go buy a CBR 125 and call it a day.

It looks like with is going to cost you a lot in parts and a hell of a lot more in labour charges.
You will end up spending $2k on a bike worth $500 maybe.

Go buy a CBR 125 and call it a day.

What 'D' said - unless you can do most of it yourself for fun, it'll end up costing you WAY more than the bike is worth and any personal satisfaction you'll derive. Seen it too many times.

A bit outside Toronto, but I spoke with the guy that runs Cycleking Inc (@ Derry & Dixie) while at the Paris Vintage Rally. He deals mostly with Goldwings (old & new), but probably knows his way around any old Honda and seemed well at sourcing parts. He knew the brake caliper I was holding onto was for my '84 Shadow. I heard from a friend that went to see about getting their wing's engine serviced there that the wait list was quite long, but that was two months ago.

Back
Top Bottom