Any experience with duties when buying a helmet online from the USA? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any experience with duties when buying a helmet online from the USA?

morkys

Just wondering if anybody has bought a helmet online from the USA. I can't find the size and style I want in Canada and it won't be in stock until Sept! ...but I do see the size and style available in the US at places like Revzilla and a number of other onlines stores. Has anybody ordered a helmet online from the USA and can you tell me how much duties you ended up paying?

thanks in advance

:)

For me was a hit and miss ... bought 3 helmets from US and paid brokerage & customs fees only on one of those.

You'll probably pay tax...see if you can get them to send it USPS to avoid huge brokerage fees, this way you'll just pay the Canada post handling fee which is a lot less. If they can't do that see if they will use a courier service that has no hidden fees on arrival (usually not the basic level of FedEx or UPS etc).

agree with JC
and avoid UPS out of the US completely
high brokerage fees and terrible service

I've had parcels sit at customs as I wait for UPS to tell me what importation will cost
then you pay them before anything moves, can add several days to the delivery

USPS to Canada Post is cheaper and the parcel will land at your local post office
just pay the duty (if applicable) and HST there and take your parcel home

like others say, duty is hit and miss, but pretty much always HST is payable

Which helmet is out of stock in Canada? You have tried a number of places in Canada Fort Nine, GP, Royal...

I used UPS once or twice years ago...lol. Never again. Fedex is also risky for items that can be damaged.

LARGE HJC RPHA 70 ST is VIAS Red and SILVER/BLACK. Tried them all. Out of stock until September! Currently waiting on a place in Quebec. I may send out a mass BCC email to brick and mortar stores in Ontario and Quebec. I may just get a white helmet.

Alternatively I was going to try an HJC i70 but I worry it's not quite as quiet and not as sport oriented. I have a Street Triple 765 R so my riding position varies from upright to tucked and with my older IS-17 I can't see forward well when tucked. Not surprised as it is an all round helmet.

thanks for the feedback folks :)

Last edited:
When I order from the US for delivery in Canada I always insist on USPS. I very seldom get charged sales tax and I've never been charged duty.

Courier companies make big money on fees and you are far more likely to be charged sales tax, duty if applicable and then on top of that a processing fee. If you visit Buffalo or NF area on a regular basis just get a mailbox or a package drop service for US orders.

Or have it sent to U.S.Address to get free shipping and pick up some wings at Duff's while you're in Niagara Falls, NY!
(and no I am not affiliated with either organization)

Hi Rob. No. I am just in the process of re-listing it on a number of forums. Re-posted it here just now. Are you interested in the bike? Where abouts are you?

I’m on the Tracer.net group and have a GT.
I sent you a PM there about a few things.
Might be interested in a few parts if you don’t sell it complete.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom