Any companies offer insurance without a training course. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any companies offer insurance without a training course.

Kale18

Hi all, I'm 17 years old and I obtained my M2 license without taking the training course, I've been calling around a no companies will insure me without a training course. Is there any companies that will insure me without the training course. I would be second rider on a 2016 Honda CRF250L.

Why are you anti-course? If you learn a single thing from the course that saves your life, it was worth 1000x what it cost. When did you pass your M2 test? I wonder if any providers will let you take the M2 exit course now and take the test when the 18 month clock is up?

I don't know the insurance situation regarding courses now, it jumps around all the time. When I took it, the course saved me $1000 in insurance the first year, then there was a time when the course gave no discount as the vast majority took the course and therefore it was already in the standard price, now you need the course to get insurance? What a pain.

Why are you anti-course? If you learn a single thing from the course that saves your life, it was worth 1000x what it cost. When did you pass your M2 test? I wonder if any providers will let you take the M2 exit course now and take the test when the 18 month clock is up?

I don't know the insurance situation regarding courses now, it jumps around all the time. When I took it, the course saved me $1000 in insurance the first year, then there was a time when the course gave no discount as the vast majority took the course and therefore it was already in the standard price, now you need the course to get insurance? What a pain.
I'm not anti course, just the courses are filled up all the way to August, and I will be working a full time job starting in July, I got my M2 in August 2018, so I have not reached my 18 months yet. All the companies I have reached out to have said they require either 1 year of full insurance, or the course.

This is something you should have done research on prior to getting your M2.
Regardless, try calling around and see if you can get booked in to one. Regardless of your skill level, I'm sure the course will be worthwhile and you'll pick up some new skills.

Facility will insure you regardless, course or not.

You won’t like the price though.

I’m fairly sure I’d you're willing to travel you can find somewhere in the province with an opening for the course in the next few weeks.

If facility rates are not too too bad in OP's case, maybe it'll be worthwhile to register with them for a year and then shop around ? Although taking the course is completely worth it. Despite having prior riding experience in another country, I still learned a bunch of stuff, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

If facility rates are not too too bad in OP's case, maybe it'll be worthwhile to register with them for a year and then shop around ? Although taking the course is completely worth it. Despite having prior riding experience in another country, I still learned a bunch of stuff, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
As a 17 year old, I have a strong suspicion that facility rates will be too bad. Even non-facility rates will be in the realm of obscene. It's worth getting a number though, any insurance broker should be able to get them a price through facility.

I'm not anti course, just the courses are filled up all the way to August, and I will be working a full time job starting in July, I got my M2 in August 2018, so I have not reached my 18 months yet. All the companies I have reached out to have said they require either 1 year of full insurance, or the course.

That would be 22 months in your case, so probably June 2020 (Since you got your M2 without a safety course, you wouldn't be eligible to go for M2 exit in 18 months). Sorry for stating the obvious, but just wanted to make sure you had the correct info.

Hi all, I'm 17 years old and I obtained my M2 license without taking the training course, I've been calling around a no companies will insure me without a training course. Is there any companies that will insure me without the training course. I would be second rider on a 2016 Honda CRF250L.
If you're a secondary rider it shouldn't even be an issue. Just get your dad or whoever owns the bike to add you as a secondary on their policy. You can't even go get quotes on his bike with a different company.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Much of life is a process and there's no express lane.
Well there is in this case. Taking a course cuts 4 months off the wait. There is also technically a faster way (or at least there was?). Transfer your license to a province that does graduated licensing differently, then transfer back. Doing this with Quebec used to upgrade you to a full license. For the OP's problem, I'm not sure if a full M would change anything with respect to his insurance problem.

There is always room for training courses. I found a course in GTA with RTI last May with no issues. You just gotta look. Insurance for a 17 y/o rider might be utterly insane but good luck!

@Kale18 -- Check out the school Learning Curves.
I know for a fact that we have 2 openings this weekend in Waterloo.

The price of the course is approximately $500 after taxes, but will save you $1000 on the first year of insurance for sure (not an exact quote, but you get the idea). The savings will more than pay for the course in the first year of insurance alone.

So you don't need a training course now to get the M2? Since when did that happen?

So you don't need a training course now to get the M2? Since when did that happen?
Anyone with an M1 can go to the MTO and do the M1X test directly. Course was never a requirement.

It's recommended however, to get a break on insurance for new riders. A lot of insurers won't even touch a new rider without the course.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom