Anti-crash Yamaha | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anti-crash Yamaha

I appreciate the necessity of having an ambitious goal to aim for, but "the target of eliminating motorcycle fatalities by 2050" is just a bad way of framing it. Manufacturers aren't even going to be able to eliminate all car fatalities by 2050. Given the fragility of the human body and the forces involved at even minor traffic speeds, the only way to eliminate motorcycle fatalities is to eliminate motorcycles. Or maybe a vertical ejection seat and parachute.

Technological innovation requires many halting, non-linear steps, but low speed balance control seems like a weird place to start in reducing fatalities. Of all the potentially fatal situations that could use technological intervention, the "rider enters a turn too fast, target fixates and rides straight off the road" is the one that springs most easily to mind. Radar-assisted lane/hazard recognition is well developed, and Yamaha has already demonstrated a power steering system. YouTube is full of videos where the bike is totally capable of making that turn even if the rider isn't.

I appreciate the necessity of having an ambitious goal to aim for, but "the target of eliminating motorcycle fatalities by 2050" is just a bad way of framing it. Manufacturers aren't even going to be able to eliminate all car fatalities by 2050. Given the fragility of the human body and the forces involved at even minor traffic speeds, the only way to eliminate motorcycle fatalities is to eliminate motorcycles. Or maybe a vertical ejection seat and parachute.

Technological innovation requires many halting, non-linear steps, but low speed balance control seems like a weird place to start in reducing fatalities. Of all the potentially fatal situations that could use technological intervention, the "rider enters a turn too fast, target fixates and rides straight off the road" is the one that springs most easily to mind. Radar-assisted lane/hazard recognition is well developed, and Yamaha has already demonstrated a power steering system. YouTube is full of videos where the bike is totally capable of making that turn even if the rider isn't.
Agree. Complete fail by marketing. Always happy to see manufacturers trying new things. I'd rather have a computer balanced bike than a trike when I am no longer able to ride on two on my own.

Reactions: Ash
My takeaway is that it looks like a less developed version of the Honda Riding Assist protoypes... but it can drive the front wheel (an idea that has manifested more than once over the past... 30 years?)

What I got from this was that in addition to ABS and traction control, they are now adding steering control to provide something similar to lane assist in cars, to help a rider negotiate a curve they may not be able to themselves. And with the addition of radar, the potential for collision avoidance.

Every time man tries to make something idiot proof,
God creates a better idiot!
Better training maybe be money better spent.

Back
Top Bottom