Another scam | GTAMotorcycle.com

Another scam

Oh they keep trying these scammers. I got a message from "Service Ontario" on how they will return $xxx if I click on this link....

I’ve been flagged somehow.

Last 2 E transfers I sent/received I’ve got a texted link from ‘Rogers’ and ‘Interac’ a few minutes after.

I am always amazed at the people that think the government wants to collect fines payable in itunes gift cards.
Agreed. Must be working, because they keep calling..

I keep blocking their phone numbers but they seem to have endless more.
Funny how said phone numbers are similar to mine.

I keep blocking their phone numbers but they seem to have endless more.
Funny how said phone numbers are similar to mine.

Had the same issue last week, 15 calls in the space of 1hr all from numbers with the same prefixes (first 6 figits) as mine. Ended up having to block all calls from people not on my contacts.

"I might be a covid shut-in but at least the telemarketers still call......"

Another scam?? I'm not sure if this is valid as I got it from a cousin that tends to over react.

Pay by debit and the cashier taps in cashback but pockets it instead of giving it to you. Check your receipts.

Another scam?? I'm not sure if this is valid as I got it from a cousin that tends to over react.

Pay by debit and the cashier taps in cashback but pockets it instead of giving it to you. Check your receipts.
cant you just read the screen to check the amount before tapping? cant say i've done cash back in a long time, but i assume it gets added to total?

cant you just read the screen to check the amount before tapping? cant say i've done cash back in a long time, but i assume it gets added to total?
That but also get a receipt and check it before you leave.

Some people have no idea of how much they're spending and common sense math has been eliminated by "That's what the screen says" TBH when I was paying cash for everything I mentally prepared myself for pulling out a fifty or a ten spot etc. If the number was off I went on alert and found out why. Now with almost everything on a debit card that is backed up by a substantial amount I could tap while distracted and miss the extra.

A heavy accent on the part of the cashier, complicated by a mask and plastic shield makes it worse. Was that fifty or fifteen?

Long ago when a coffee and donut was under $2.00 I ordered my usual snack and the pretty thing serving me said $7.85. I was giving her a stunned look as she was giving me the "What's the problem look." The older lady working near her pointed out that she hadn't cleared the last purchase. Ahh $1.85.

That but also get a receipt and check it before you leave.

Some people have no idea of how much they're spending and common sense math has been eliminated by "That's what the screen says" TBH when I was paying cash for everything I mentally prepared myself for pulling out a fifty or a ten spot etc. If the number was off I went on alert and found out why. Now with almost everything on a debit card that is backed up by a substantial amount I could tap while distracted and miss the extra.

A heavy accent on the part of the cashier, complicated by a mask and plastic shield makes it worse. Was that fifty or fifteen?

Long ago when a coffee and donut was under $2.00 I ordered my usual snack and the pretty thing serving me said $7.85. I was giving her a stunned look as she was giving me the "What's the problem look." The older lady working near her pointed out that she hadn't cleared the last purchase. Ahh $1.85.
I think machines make a very different bong when you do cashback. Maybe not all machines though. It was distinct enough that I asked the cashier what the noise was. Similar to OLG winning tune. Loud and distinct to get your attention

I almost never use debit and have used cashback maybe once in my life. Possession is 9/10ths of the law and it is infinitely harder to get money put back in my bank than to dispute a charge on a credit card.

I'm not sure how debit cash back works. But I imagine when you pay and ask for money back, the payment is removed from my bank account, and the cash back is also removed from the bank account. So if I pay + ask for $40 buck, and the cashier only gives me a $20 I should notice this. There doesn't seem to be a method for the casiher to interfer here, only when they hand you the money, not when entering or confirm the amounts.

I am always amazed at the people that think the government wants to collect fines payable in itunes gift cards.

It is hard to believe that people fall for this. I think many victims are elderly who might be confused or overly trusting or relatively recent immigrants who fear corrupt government or police based on their experience.

Many years ago a elderly relative called to excitedly tell us they'd won a Cadillac. Turns out all they had to do was pay the sales tax and they gave the caller their credit card info. I told him that it sounded like a scam and his response was that that would be fraud............. Well, of course it would be, that was the point of my comment. Needless to say, they never got the Cadillac. This couple was as honest as the day is long. You could trust them with your life savings and it was inconceivable to them that someone would call them on the phone to cheat them.

I've read that some retailers, Best Buy as an example, will try to question or counsel customers who try to purchase large amount of gift cards.

Considering that by definition 50% of the population is dumber than average and these scams only need hundredths of a percent success rate to be wildly profitable, it is no surprise.
Gotta keep in mind the target audience for these scams. They're by and large elderly with diminishing mental capacities. It's easy to laugh at or hold contempt for people "dumb" enough to fall for the scams, but the targets do not have any digital literacy, and may possibly have dementia/alzheimer's. It's really sad and unfortunate scammers continue taking their money.

Back
Top Bottom