Android/Samsung "SmartTags" To Locate Your Stolen Bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Android/Samsung "SmartTags" To Locate Your Stolen Bike

Pegassus

Site Supporter
So there's a thread here about "Apple AirTags" so we should have one about Android/Samsung Smart Tags.

I have always been an Android guy and just last year I was going to become an Apple Boy for the sole reason of being able to use Air Tags but then I was hit with the news that Samsung was releasing their own tags. Great! Then I was shocked to discover that NOT all Androids, or even Samsung phones works with them. I have a mid-range Samsung phone called the A71. I was told that only Galaxy phones work with the tags. But in deeper research I learnt that my mid-range phone worked with the tags. I was so happy that I didn't have to change to Apple and spend $1,000 on a flagship phone. I ended up buying 4 Samsung SmartTags.

I stuck one in my daughter's school backpack, I buried one inside my motorcycle, and I put one in my wife's car. I downloaded the app and quickly and easily got the 4 Smart Tags connected to it, as fast and simple as the Apple Air Tags.

On that Saturday my wife was going to go out all day long so it was a perfect time to test and see how good these Samsung tags are. Within 5 km's I got 3 hits. Once she jumped on the 401 from Keele to Hurontario I got 17 "sightings" on that stretch. The tag must have been picked up by Galaxy devices from passing cars, going her direction and opposite direction. She parked at a mall (The app uses Google Maps as it's background when pinpointing the location). Once at the mall the tag was being "sighted" by a sleuth of Galaxy phones, the location was being updated every 2 or 3 mins, presumably by passing pedestrians.

I placed the 4th Samsung tag on one of my company's big trucks, in February of 2022. The only one that it's totally outdoor against the elements. I did this to test the tag against the cold weather and how good it was at being under a chassis sorrounded by metal. How would it communicate sorrounded by metal?

I was shocked. The tag was being pinged by devices consistently. The metal was no hindrance. What's more shocking is that Samsung claims that the battery life of an active tag is 8 months, this tag under that truck has lasted 18 months and counting. How in hell can a little 2032 keyfob battery last so long under -20 temps? It has lasted 2 winters and it's still active.

These tags will put a lot of the GPS companies out of business, they work like a charm. Great recovery for a stolen motorcycle.

Last edited:
I don't know if it helps recover a stolen motorcycle.

The thief could write the police a letter of confession,with their address on it, and you might not get it back.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I don't know if it helps recover a stolen motorcycle.

The thief could write the police a letter of confession,with their address on it, and you might not get it back.

I don't think I will be calling the police, I will get it, wherever it is, and bring it home. Can a 5-year-old sport-tourer bike be a thief magnet or do they go just for new super-sports??

I don't think I will be calling the police, I will get it, wherever it is, and bring it home. Can a 5-year-old sport-tourer bike be a thief magnet or do they go just for new super-sports??
I was gonna say, you might be better served by a privately contracted "enforcement" service

Back
Top Bottom