Amazon | GTAMotorcycle.com

Amazon

TK4

Amazon is supposedly about to launch a new program that melds Internet retail with established dealerships, making it easier for customers to install their parts purchased online.

According to a bit on Youmotorcycle.com, Amazon is just days away from rolling out a new plan that will allow customers to have online parts purchases shipped to a partnering dealership. Buy your tires on Amazon, and all you’ve got to do is drop your bike off at a dealership, then pick it up when the work is done.

Amazon is supposedly doing this to make the Internet shopping experience more convenient for customers, so they don’t have to lug spare tires or other parts all around town. It’s also convenient for online shoppers who may not have the time, skills, workspace or tools to install stuff bought online.

The program is supposed to be available in Canada (along with the UK, Australia and the US). But, we haven’t heard of any Canadian dealerships signing on yet. And, we don’t know what sort of dealerships Amazon is looking for, mega-stores selling multiple lines of bikes and other powersports equipment, or small independent operations with an emphasis on shop services. Whichever it is, Amazon will need reliably third-party connections to make it happen. Customers will be reluctant to use this service if Amazon’s partners prove unreliable.

While this sounds like a bit of a wild stab, it’s not that crazy an idea. Other online retailers have similar arrangements in place for automotive tires, and Amazon is also working on an idea like this for car parts as well. And it might be an answer to the question: What’s next for dealerships? With parts and accessories sales in a slump due to pressure from online retail, maybe the future for dealerships is installation and service.

There is a Quebec motorcyle parts distributor doing the same. You buy online...the parts can be delivered to a local dealer and installed. The dealers share the income from the sale.

A number of years ago there was a tire mounter on Wilson (I think) who would receive your Pete's tire order and then do the switch over and balance. No incremental charge for receiving the tires, very convenient overall for my carry in wheels. While this service was just a part of what he did I think he's now out of business so maybe not a viable business model...............

We'll have to see how this pans out. I think if you normally ride in to a dealer, purchase tires and have them do the complete install then this might save you some money. If you now order tires online, receive them yourself and then remove the wheels and carry in a shop you'll probably find that the cost per wheel is more than the $20 or $25 I usually pay.

Interesting concept but I'll bet Amazon is trying to muscle into the traditional parts distribution business. Guys that should be fearful are the big aftermarket parts and tire distributors like Keystone, NAPA, Canadian Tire, Thibault etc -- all of whom failed to develop and support online retailers an any meaningful way.

Above ReSTored questions the viability of the business model, and he's right -- you can't cut service shops out of the parts business -- to be successful Amazon would need a two tier price model and some really complicated settlement system to get the dealer payments to them.

Can it work? Perhaps... if anyone has a chance it would be Amazon. If it does, the consumer benefits would be small if any. If I worked for a parts distributor lost in the 80's Id be a little scared.

Interesting concept but I'll bet Amazon is trying to muscle into the traditional parts distribution business. Guys that should be fearful are the big aftermarket parts and tire distributors like Keystone, NAPA, Canadian Tire, Thibault etc -- all of whom failed to develop and support online retailers an any meaningful way.

Can it work? Perhaps... if anyone has a chance it would be Amazon. If it does, the consumer benefits would be small if any. If I worked for a parts distributor lost in the 80's Id be a little scared.

Tire installs aside Parts Canada and Motovan have a significant % of the non OEM motorcycle parts and accessories business locked up in Canada. These middlemen set price and in an online world add significant cost and minimal value to the system. I get parts through Fortnine with a Parts Canada SKU label on them that effectively duplicates the globally accepted standard GS1 barcode and we all end up paying for their inefficient supply chain. I'd welcome Amazon to the market if I could buy CDN sourced products online at competitive prices.

Mom and pop shops that normally can't compete with online pricing can benefit if they are early adopters of this model imho

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Tire installs aside Parts Canada and Motovan have a significant % of the non OEM motorcycle parts and accessories business locked up in Canada. These middlemen set price and in an online world add significant cost and minimal value to the system. I get parts through Fortnine with a Parts Canada SKU label on them that effectively duplicates the globally accepted standard GS1 barcode and we all end up paying for their inefficient supply chain. I'd welcome Amazon to the market if I could buy CDN sourced products online at competitive prices.
If Amazon stepped in, they would be replacing Parts Canada and Motovan. They might sell to you directly, but there's no way they're going to forget about the retain and service channel - they would certainly require 2 tier pricing.

There is money to be saved, for the consumer... but not a whole lot. In the US, Rock Auto uses this direct to consumer model -- compare their prices to other online retailers in the USA to get a feel for effecient direct channel distribution.

If this is true, sell you shares in Parts Canada and Motovan -- they stand to be casualties if Amazon decides to squeeze them.

Kimpex is who I'm thinking of

and yeah good savings...$70 for a gel battery for the Vstrom shipped with tax overnite.

I like they work with the local dealers.

Pretty sure this is an April fools joke. The end of the article says so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve always hated the fact that for many items when I step into any motorcycle place, the first (and often only) catalogue they get out is the Parts Canada one. I’d welcome the competition too.

Back
Top Bottom