Alpinestar Techair 5, anybody using it? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Alpinestar Techair 5, anybody using it?

cvcb

I wonder if somebody here are using it and could give a review about it. How was the dealings with Alpinestar after a deployment (if that happened) would be nice to know. I am thinking of incorporate that to my gear. Thanks!

Assuming you're talking about the TechAir 5 vest that you wear under a jacket, I've got one that I've been very happy with. Haven't had it deploy, thank heavens, but the day-to-day with it has been great. I find it especially comforting when commuting, just as an extra layer of protection from the distracted horde.

It feels heavy when you pick it up, but once on it disappears. It does limit air flow in the summer somewhat, but not massively, and makes less of a difference than you'd think considering you're essentially wearing a plastic bag.

The only minor issue I've had with comfort is the back protector has a bit of a hump at the top where the cartridges and sensors are, and under some leather jackets this can be a bit irritating. Sort of like when you wear a hoodie with the hood under a jacket and you get that lump just below the collar.

Otherwise, the battery life has been great, and charging and pairing with the app is easy. You just need to make sure your jacket or suit is either designed for it (made by AStars) or loose enough to accommodate an inflated vest. My truck suit is too snug, so I haven't worn it on a track day yet, but my next suit (likely a Plus) will accommodate...

Assuming you're talking about the TechAir 5 vest that you wear under a jacket, I've got one that I've been very happy with. Haven't had it deploy, thank heavens, but the day-to-day with it has been great. I find it especially comforting when commuting, just as an extra layer of protection from the distracted horde.

It feels heavy when you pick it up, but once on it disappears. It does limit air flow in the summer somewhat, but not massively, and makes less of a difference than you'd think considering you're essentially wearing a plastic bag.

The only minor issue I've had with comfort is the back protector has a bit of a hump at the top where the cartridges and sensors are, and under some leather jackets this can be a bit irritating. Sort of like when you wear a hoodie with the hood under a jacket and you get that lump just below the collar.

Otherwise, the battery life has been great, and charging and pairing with the app is easy. You just need to make sure your jacket or suit is either designed for it (made by AStars) or loose enough to accommodate an inflated vest. My truck suit is too snug, so I haven't worn it on a track day yet, but my next suit (likely a Plus) will accommodate...
Thanks for that, I appreciate it. Apologies for the wrong name, I corrected it (although I believe you meant "track" suit rather than "truck"😉). Did you buy it in Canada? Have you ever sent it to inspection yet? I am asking because I don't know if Alpinestar has support in Canada...

Thanks for that, I appreciate it. Apologies for the wrong name, I corrected it (although I believe you meant "track" suit rather than "truck"😉). Did you buy it in Canada? Have you ever sent it to inspection yet? I am asking because I don't know if Alpinestar has support in Canada...
Definitely track suit. That's what I get for replying on my phone.

I actually bought mine from FC-Moto for a lot less than the $900 they sell for now (I think $750?). Not sure if they've bumped the price to match the Canadian list price, but for a bit they wouldn't ship one to Canada at all. Fortnine also sells for $900, so I suspect AStars has had a hand in protecting their Canadian distributor. Unusually, it seems the Americans are getting more screwed, as Revzilla shows $750 USD while FC-Moto says just over $650 USD shipped to the US.

I haven't done an inspection yet, but don't anticipate any issues as I was able to register the vest through the app (a mandatory step) using my Canadian address with no issues. They're sold here, so they definitely service them, but I believe it involves sending the vest to a US facility for service. The manual just says to bring to an authorized dealer. Mine is coming up on two years old, so I'll need to send it in this spring...

If it deploys you have to ship it to Astars in California. I just sent my original TECH air back last week. it's $300 USA for the test and recharge. It took them about 2 days to test and recharge once it arrived at their location. Now I wait on Canada post! I have a tech 10 now as well so if it deploys i have the Tech air as a backup.

Definitely track suit. That's what I get for replying on my phone.

I actually bought mine from FC-Moto for a lot less than the $900 they sell for now (I think $750?).
So it came with the canisters and no problems from Germany. Nice to know. GP bikes are selling it for 800 or so. Regardless, thanks mate... Most definitely will start using it, and I have confidence to buy it from abroad.

If it deploys you have to ship it to Astars in California. I just sent my original TECH air back last week. it's $300 USA for the test and recharge. It took them about 2 days to test and recharge once it arrived at their location. Now I wait on Canada post! I have a tech 10 now as well so if it deploys i have the Tech air as a backup.
That's what I was wondering. it is good to know. Thanks for the feedback...

@TSC_113 because you mentioned, what's your impression of the Techair 10?
It's comfortable. With it's built in under suit it takes a bit longer to get into compared to the Tech-Air which is zipped into the suit . I still wear my VnM under gear with it. Once its on I barely even notice it. I did find at first that the hump would catch on my suit as I'm putting it on but after a few times I figured out the method and that stopped happening. It will work under any suit that has some space. So unlike my Tech-AIR I could get a new suit that doesn't have to have the built in wiring for the lights.

I haven't crashed in it to set it off so I can't comment on that aspect. There is an issue with the remote light display not working correctly but Astars is replacing them for free and mine new control unit is on the way.

It's comfortable. With it's built in under suit it takes a bit longer to get into compared to the Tech-Air which is zipped into the suit . I still wear my VnM under gear with it. Once its on I barely even notice it. I did find at first that the hump would catch on my suit as I'm putting it on but after a few times I figured out the method and that stopped happening. It will work under any suit that has some space. So unlike my Tech-AIR I could get a new suit that doesn't have to have the built in wiring for the lights.

I haven't crashed in it to set it off so I can't comment on that aspect. There is an issue with the remote light display not working correctly but Astars is replacing them for free and mine new control unit is on the way.
Thanks for that. Like I said, I definitely will incorporate the 5 in my gear. Thanks for the hands on experience sharing.

If you prefer your gear to fit snug (aka Euro fit), realize you may be stuck with Alpinestars jackets/suits, and not all of them - only the ones that are specifically Tech Air compatible. I purchased my Tech Air 5 recently and now need a new jacket. I knew this going in, but I've just been having a tough time choosing a model I like that's both in my style and price range and may need to make some compromises. On the other hand, if you prefer your gear loose, you'll have no problems as the deployment only requires 1.6 inches in circumference around your chest.

Also, I could have bought mine in the US or shipped to the US from abroad, but decided to pay a little more specifically to purchase form GP Bikes for their warranty handling, where I just send/drop off to their store and they deal with the warranty on my behalf. Typically, this results in either a new replacement or a store credit which can be used to buy a newer model, and I don't need to worry about shipping across the border and dealing with customs - especially with the explosives involved.

Back
Top Bottom