Allstate needs too much personal info just for quote | GTAMotorcycle.com

Allstate needs too much personal info just for quote

samurai

I called Allstate from their website to check how much their insurance will cost, they found a local rep for me and transferred me. The person on the other end was asking for my name, address, drivers license number, all the details about the bike and the driving/riding history.

I have two questions:

1) Does Allstate really need all the info including the drivers license number just to give me a quote?

2) Do they keep or destroy all my personal info if I choose not to get insurance from them and want them not to retain all my personal info?

I called Allstate from their website to check how much their insurance will cost, they found a local rep for me and transferred me. The person on the other end was asking for my name, address, drivers license number, all the details about the bike and the driving/riding history.

I have two questions:

1) Does Allstate really need all the info including the drivers license number just to give me a quote?

2) Do they keep or destroy all my personal info if I choose not to get insurance from them and want them not to retain all my personal info?

Insurance quotes also base their number on your riding history - in short, yes, they need to know all about the bike, all about your riding history, the purpose of your ownership and where you live/how you store it.

They keep it on file for awhile - unsure of the time.

I have two questions:

1) If you want an accurate quote, yes.

2) Who knows? Ask them.

...I have two questions:

For a quote I would not give them my driver's license number. If you do go with them then they can have it, as they will use it to search the MOT database, but not for a simple quote.

As for how long they keep your info, this is hard to say. They might even put you on a spam email list with the info you gave them. Troubling is you really cannot tell. You probably agreed to the collection and use of your information for the purpose of giving you a quote. If you are not their customer, they should not keep your info. You can ask at the FSCO Financial Services Commission of Ontario site. If you are concerned and do not use this company, phone them and ask them to delete your data. Random collection of your personal info makes for a plump target for hackers.

For a quote I would not give them my driver's license number. If you do go with them then they can have it, as they will use it to search the MOT database, but not for a simple quote.

As for how long they keep your info, this is hard to say. They might even put you on a spam email list with the info you gave them. Troubling is you really cannot tell. You probably agreed to the collection and use of your information for the purpose of giving you a quote. If you are not their customer, they should not keep your info. You can ask at the FSCO Financial Services Commission of Ontario site. If you are concerned and do not use this company, phone them and ask them to delete your data. Random collection of your personal info makes for a plump target for hackers.

Have you ever gotten a quote without giving it?

I have never given out my driver's license number for only a quote. I provide it only when they write the policy. For a quote just because they ask does not mean you need to provide it.

Correct, you need not provide our DL # for a simple quote. The caveat to that of course is they can change the actual amount charged if they discover anything when they run your DL through the MTO database. IE you declared a not at fault claim but when they check your record indicates it was an at fault. Or they "discover" unreported convictions... etc

Because you have not consent in written form to have your data stored you can actually get them into **** for this. This is part of our privacy act.

They still need your info to give you a quote though...they're just not allowed to store it.

Every insurance company asks all this information if not more.

They usually also ask marital status and medical conditions and will often also ask where you work and what your job is and possibly even do a credit check.

They stripped searched me with rubber gloves and Vaseline. That's when I knew I had to sign with Allstate

"If i was educated, I'd be a damn fool"

Yes, on RBC website and on TD website, you can get a motorcycle quote without providing driver license number, or when getting a quote on the phone with them. (I tried them last week at the same time I called AllState) So, obviously it's not required for the purpose of providing a quote. They tell you that they will eventually need the licence number to verify the info you provide before they issue you the policy based on the quote (when and if I decide to go with them), which makes sense to me.

This was my first time trying AllState to see if I can get a better rate then my current insurance provider.

Last edited:
I have never given out my driver's license number for only a quote. I provide it only when they write the policy. For a quote just because they ask does not mean you need to provide it.

Allstate told me: No driver license number = No quote.

I find this very odd. Why would they turn business away with such a policy? There is no risk to them because the policy premium can change if the insured has not fully disclosed all relevant info. There seems, to me, to be no competitive advantage to not giving you a quote. If you really want the quote, perhaps ask for a supervisor for clarification.

There are many insurance companies out there so the market is very competitive. There is no need to provide your personal information unnecessarily and without any advantage. I'd go elsewhere.

Yes, on RBC website and on TD website, you can get a motorcycle quote without providing driver license number, or when getting a quote on the phone with them. (I tried them last week at the same time I called AllState) So, obviously it's not required for the purpose of providing a quote. They tell you that they will eventually need the licence number to verify the info you provide before they issue you the policy based on the quote (when and if I decide to go with them), which makes sense to me.

This was my first time trying AllState to see if I can get a better rate then my current insurance provider.

I've never had value or faith in trusting a quote that was based on a vehicle alone. But hey, there are tons of people that make decisions without proper information all over the place - so i suppose yes, you're right.

Statefarm is the same, those sons a ******* are able to pull up your record right there on their computer. I wonder how the hell the got they're hands on the MTO database like that. I know they can do this because they were asking me details about my admin suspensions, in the end they were fine with them though.

Statefarm is the same, those sons a ******* are able to pull up your record right there on their computer. I wonder how the hell the got they're hands on the MTO database like that. I know they can do this because they were asking me details about my admin suspensions, in the end they were fine with them though.

It was an agreement the gov't formed with the insurers, they get access to your driving record, and the gov't is supposed to have access to your insurance info, (theorectically when the police stop you they are "supposed" to be able to see if the vehicle has valid insurance coverage). The insurers also used the "reasoning" that by having access to this info they could offer lower premiums, because they would be able to charge those with poor records more and supposedly good drivers would get better rates. Of course we are still waiting for both to happen.

It's called AutoPlus.

https://iis.cgi.com/RapidWeb/en/auto-risk/autoplus-reports.aspx

It's an important tool in the insurers toolbox and isn't anything to be scared of. A lot of people forget minor convictions (do YOU remember that 10 over ticket you got 2, 3...4+ years ago, for example?) and might not mention them to their insurers when seeking a quote...and of course some people "forget" to mention things that they know will negatively affect their chance of getting or maintaining insurance.

In some situations (innocent or otherwise) where an insurer would write a policy only to discover non-disclosures after the fact (again, accidental or otherwise) they can (and often DID) cancel the policy...and that too ends up on your record and will cause havoc with your insurance for many MANY years. Ever see that little checkbox titled "Have you ever had an insurance policy cancelled?" on insurance application forms? If you have to ever check "Yes" in that box, trust me, you're not going to like the results.

In the end, your record is your record...Autoplus just makes it streamlined for your insurance company to see it which isn't ridiculous at all - anyone who doesn't feel that their insurer shouldn't be able to access it is likely trying to hide something one might suggest.

Your record is a HUGE part of an insurers risk, and as a result, what they charge you to cover you - are you suggesting they should be somehow prevented from seeing the truth?

Belairdirect messed up my record and it took 3 years and just as many insurance companies to notice. It actually made me wish the other companies had verified my record earlier so it would've been caught earlier. Luckily it only took a phone call to Belairdirect to get them to fix it.

They had entered some windshield claims as at fault collisions. HUGE difference.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom