After market seats.. Thoughts? | GTAMotorcycle.com

After market seats.. Thoughts?

Chrispy

With a big price tag, before I pull the trigger I would like to ask for feedback if you've tried multiple seats.. Corbin, saddlemen, Sargent..? Definitely going the foam route. Also found a nice guy that does custom using existing seat and adding wheelchair foam. Please and thank you!

With a big price tag, before I pull the trigger I would like to ask for feedback if you've tried multiple seats.. Corbin, saddlemen, Sargent..? Definitely going the foam route. Also found a nice guy that does custom using existing seat and adding wheelchair foam. Please and thank you!
I have 2 customs = a Corbin on my FJR and a Saddlemen Adventure on my Vstrom.

The Corbin looks and feels almost the same as the factory seat, slightly firmer and has lasted a long time. I can't say the Corbin was noticeably different when I got it.

I bought my Vstrom from a fellow who threw in a brand new Saddlemen ADV Track seat. He was a bit too short for a full height seat so he never used it. Initially I didn't like the seat, it's a bit unusual with 2 parallel humps running lengthwise down the seat. After riding on it for a while the design showed me it really works. I did 800KM yesterday, no saddlesoreness whatsoever -- I plan another 600km tomorrow.

There is one major issue with this seat -- the fabric holds water like a sponge. The fabric on the topside is microsuede, it offers a good grip and is not sloppy however when it gets wet it stays wet -- you cannot wipe it dry. Riding on a soaked seat isn't fun.

I have a Russel Daylong on my ST1300. Awesome seat. Previous owner of the seat didn't like it because of the 'wings' that stuck out didn't allow him to slide off the seat for cornering so I think be picked up a corbin. I never get tired of sitting on my Russel.
I had a Mustang Saddle on my Shadow ACE. It had a lip at the back that provided additional support for all day riding. It was incredible.

Last edited:
I'd be inclined to find a local shop that can do a custom seat.
You can spend tons of $ on mail order seats and not be happy.
A local upholstery shop you can talk to and discuss exactly what you want.
And they can measure your ***.

I find there could be a correlation between aftermarket seats and style of bike.

For example, cruisers commonly have Mustang & Saddlemen with rave reviews. There are some exceptions since you can’t please everyone and comfort various from person to person.

I had a Le Pera Barebones solo seat that felt exactly as described AND was comfortable for all day riding.

I also had a HD branded Sundowner 2up seat that was excellent.

For ST style bikes, I’ve had Corbin and it was excellent and looked good too.

I did try an aftermarket seat for a cruiser from Drag Specialties and it was terrible. It was too narrow and positioned myself too far back from the stock position. My butt hurt within 20 mins. Looked good but, ended up sitting in the garage for years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would like a Corbin gunfighter solo saddle for my K100 if anybody has one laying around.

Seems the custom makes most sense, would love another motorcyclist measuring my ***. Joking aside, definitely less headache with returns if any discomfort, shipping costs etc.. Thanks everyone!

As Nakkers said it all depends on the type of bike and riding you're going to do.

I replaced the stock 2x4 on my KTM 990SMT with a Corbin and the difference was dramatic. Daylong comfort, whereas before I was glad for the chance to stop for gas.
I did the same thing with a 530 EXC because I found a corbin used. It was a dramatic improvement too.
My current 690 Enduro came with a seat concepts seat that is more like a contoured 2X8 than a 2X4, so it's wider, but not much more comfortable. Fortunately, I have an Airhawk that makes it good for a few hours of riding.

As Nakkers said it all depends on the type of bike and riding you're going to do.

I replaced the stock 2x4 on my KTM 990SMT with a Corbin and the difference was dramatic. Daylong comfort, whereas before I was glad for the chance to stop for gas.
I did the same thing with a 530 EXC because I found a corbin used. It was a dramatic improvement too.
My current 690 Enduro came with a seat concepts seat that is more like a contoured 2X8 than a 2X4, so it's wider, but not much more comfortable. Fortunately, I have an Airhawk that makes it good for a few hours of riding.
I have a Corbin on my cbr1100xx for 80k I love it, and got it used.. , I tried a Sargent on my fjr, ended up buying a Corbin for it as well... If anything wants the Sargent we can make a deal.... I had a foam concepts on my 690 smc and it was way better than stock... IMO Corbins are expensive, heavy, harder and a little crude on the inside fit and finish, but are are very comfortable on long rides.and work great for my ass..

Sent from my Pixel 3 using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I had a local upholsterer rework my oem Ducati seat with high-density foam to my specs (padding added to create less forward slope and more butt cushioning). Cost was $40 and took 2 days with the easy option of having quick adjustment after should I want it. Versus $500+ for an aftermarket seat and taking the chance of not liking it when it arrives.

Reactions: J_F
I bought a used Corbin for my ST from a member on the ST-Owners forum. Traded my old OEM seat, $100US plus shipping and it was the best money I ever spent on the bike. Very comfortable for long hours in the saddle and it still looks new almost 8 years after I bought it used!
ST Seat - Corbin.jpg

I have a Russel Daylong on my ST1300. Awesome seat. I never get tired of sitting on my Russel.

Generally speaking, OEM seats are garbage and often focus seems to be integrating seat lines or shape into the design of the bike vs providing paying customer with a seat that actual works.

OEM seat on my ST was good for about 2 hours, a seat with a gel insert added another 30 - 60 minutes to that. 8 - 10 hours days were very painful and uncomfortable and presumably I ride because I enjoy the experience........ After suffering too long I purchased a Russel on a ST forum group buy, dollar for dollar the best money spent on an accessory. Day-Long | Motorcycle Seats | Russell Cycle

You don't mention what type of bike you have. Maybe someone on the forum has an aftermarket seat for your bike that you can go take a look at or borrow for a ride.

What kind of bike?

I love my Ultimate. My wife loves her Mustang. But both companies focus mainly on the cruiser market, hence needing to know what bike you're talking about.

But I agree that not all seats will make everyone happy. I believe Ultimate has some sort of test-drive program available IIRC so you could look into that. Canadian company, too.

Start with an AirHawk....lot cheaper than any seat option...it takes a bit of time to figure out the correct pressure ( very low ). Then you can use it as well.
CB500x not the most brilliant two up. Top case with a back rest is for sure needed.

could not go 30 minutes on my stock seat. purchased a mustang for myself and the wife, now I can ride all day in comfort. my only regret was not getting the back rest option. my bike is a cruiser, i have had the seat for 13 years still in brand new condition. mind you my bike is stored indoors, i have a sheepskin that i will use on long rides to add to the comfort. i hear great things about the corbins for the sportier crowd but every butt is different. mine is kind of large and round

seating is a difficult thing to review and recommend. Everyone is different and wants and needs something different in their saddle. When I had my old CB919 I upgraded the stock seat to a corbin and it was a HUGE improvement. The stock seat on the honda was the worst seat I had ever sat on. I then switched to BMW and have been riding various GS models over the years. Sargent seats were my favourite for the last 2. My current GS I am still on the stock seat as I actually like it, no where near as bad as previous stock seats so I am living with it for now. Was thinking of trying out a seat concepts eventually, they are cheaper and seem to be well reviewed. Custom seats should allow you the opportunity to get a feel for it before anything is finalized.

Yup.. After everyone's response I figured it's such a personal thing. I think I'll go with custom and get a better understanding. Half the price of name brands too, so it's worth the risk. Thanks all. ?

Back
Top Bottom