Advise on buying a new bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Advise on buying a new bike

Buy it.

2 Caveats -As long as you have the cash in the bank, and can stomach/afford whatever the insurance cost is.

I bought an essentially new bike this spring (2000km.). I paid more than I ever though I would for such a frivolous purchase. Why?

First, My/our financial advisor said, "For crying out loud TAKE SOME PROFIT!! You've worked hard, you guys have no debt, there's enough that your wife WILL BE FINE if you die today."

Then a close acquaintance (not quite a friend, but a constant in my life) passed away in his early 60's. Then a neighbor in his mid 70's who I really liked died. Then Neil Peart (of Rush - my favorite band) died, 3 years after retiring.

Then I bought the bike.

If I'm fortunate, I'll turn 55 this year. I'm in decent health as far as I know, but NOBODY EVER KNOWS.

As long as the purchase doesn't mean you have to take on debt, or leaves you financially vulnerable then go for it. If you have to borrow for it, then I wouldn't.

Im okay for insurance, was just wondering if its like car dealers ? Never been to a motorcycle dealership for a new bike, is it possible to get a "good deal "[like free oil changes etc??] from a dealership or just build one online off the official website ??

Are you dead set on new?

There's going to be a lot of fire sale prices on motorcycles (and probably supersports in particular) in very short order when people realize they can't afford their toys anymore.

Kinda. Never owned a new bike before

Let me fill you in on the "brand new motorcycle" ownership experience:

1. It's almost the exact same as buying a 1 or 2 year old hardly ridden garage queen bike without taking the kick in the balls called first year depreciation.

Your call.

it's not like buying a new truck where you can negotiate a bunch off the price
not much margin on a new bike sale

if you're good with them and don't waste a lot of time
usually can get get a couple of services included

if you need gear that's the where the savings come in
a new bike purchaser can get a nice discount on gear and accessories
the dealers have much bigger margin on those

the only difference is on a new bike, all the other riders will be drooling over it.
No girls will care, trust me, I know.

the only difference is on a new bike, all the other riders will be drooling over it.

Most makes/models change little year to year. My current bike is a great example - it's a 2012. Compared it side by side to a 2019 a few days ago. Could not identify any difference...except I paid $10K less for mine than the other one.

There's tons of garage queen MC's out there. People buy them brand new, ride them to Tim Hortons a few times and take a few short trips (insurance companies consider 1000KM an "average year" for a good percentage of motorcyclists) and then decide the next spring that they really didn't enjoy riding as much as they thought. And then that bike is for sale. This year, *especially* so when they start looking very closely at their budget right now and decide that motorcycle and insurance payment is firmly in the "**** we could do without right now" category.

if its affordable, and you can do it. Go get a new bike. Its a nice experience, leaving the dealership with 1-2kms on the gauges

it's not like buying a new truck

It also doesn't have that new bike smell that lingers around for a long time after driving away from the dealership.

As some others have said, You probably won't notice the difference much compared to a 1-2 year old.
The novelty of the "Brand New" will wear off pretty quick.

it's not like buying a new truck where you can negotiate a bunch off the price
not much margin on a new bike sale

if you're good with them and don't waste a lot of time
usually can get get a couple of services included

if you need gear that's the where the savings come in
a new bike purchaser can get a nice discount on gear and accessories
the dealers have much bigger margin on those
Thanks, a few services would do me good !

It also doesn't have that new bike smell that lingers around for a long time after driving away from the dealership.

As some others have said, You probably won't notice the difference much compared to a 1-2 year old.
The novelty of the "Brand New" will wear off pretty quick.
I hate new car smell, would never buy a new car myself. Owned a lot of used bikes, even made money on some, just by buying right i guess. This time i wanna buy a new one and keep it.

I hate new car smell, would never buy a new car myself. Owned a lot of used bikes, even made money on some, just by buying right i guess. This time i wanna buy a new one and keep it.
I guess go for it.
But you wont be making money on it.

To the contrary you'll almost certain take a shitkicking on it unless you're planning to own it for a long, long time.

Buying ANY vehicle new right now is not something I'd recommend.

But it seems like your mind is made up, so yes, it's ultimately your call. Just remember that if you're tired of that bike in a year or two you're going to find that it's not going to be a sellers market again for many, many years to come. The market is going to be flooded with toys for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom