Advice on Tires | GTAMotorcycle.com

Advice on Tires

lator-illa

hey party people,

Need your advice on what to do. Basically the scenario is:

I recently picked up a used Daytona and soon realized that my front tires are a race compound, specifically, the Pilot Power Race. My rears are the Pilot Power 2CT's which seem to have a decent amount of tread left. The only issue for the rears is that they're 190/55/17 on a 5.5 inch wheel (seems fine tho).

I'm not entirely too comfortable running the Race on the street so need advice on what to do regarding my old tires.

• Get rid of the front, buy a new Pilot Power 2Ct's front only
  • Get rid of the front, buy a new Pilot Power 3 front only (cheaper than the 2ct's by a bit) and run mis-matched tires.
  • Get rid of existing set (save for a track day in the future), and buy a new set entirely? I was thinking of going with the Pilot Power 3's with a 180/55/17 rear.
  • Stick with the existing set cuz i'll be fine with running the PP Race on the street

thanks guys,

B

Have you checked how old the rear tires are? I'm leaning towards changing out the entire set for piece of mind.

@kellen: Mind you I am not a fairweather rider. I ride through rain, and all the way up to early December (if there's no salt on the roads). Also I use my bike to commute to work which is pretty much daily. Are you suggesting it's entirely ok to ride on those tires under those conditions?

@WeatherB: good call, I will do that as soon as I head home from work.

Pilot power 3's are awesome tires in my experience. Good in the rain and fantastic in the dry :thumbup:

Sent from my commodore 64 on dial up

Well they are at least 2 years old because last year the Power Pure was the replacement for the 2CT.

I would do as Kellen suggested and then buy a new set around the start of October.

@kellen: Mind you I am not a fairweather rider. I ride through rain, and all the way up to early December (if there's no salt on the roads). Also I use my bike to commute to work which is pretty much daily. Are you suggesting it's entirely ok to ride on those tires under those conditions?

@WeatherB: good call, I will do that as soon as I head home from work.

Honestly, I would swap to sport touring tires when possible but that's because I ride in the rain..including **** storms lol

Mind you I'm running a sport front and sport touring back right now.

Mind you I am not a fairweather rider. I ride through rain, and all the way up to early December (if there's no salt on the roads). Also I use my bike to commute to work which is pretty much daily.

Best bet would be a completely new set of tires in this scenario. Why take the risk to save a couple of hundred bucks? My latest set are Michelin Pilot Road 3 - pretty impressive tires!

Last edited:
so I just checked both front and back, and they're both manufactured in 07. I'm guessing this is past the threshold of acceptable tire age?

Sport touring tires would serve you well!

But I would not remove good tires.. use em up.

so I just checked both front and back, and they're both manufactured in 07. I'm guessing this is past the threshold of acceptable tire age?

Ya, those are a little past their prime. It's not like they are dangerous so I'd say look around for a good deal now but there's no need to stop riding in the mean time.

A bit old for my taste but how do they look, any cracks, etc...? There is a vendor on the forums offering good deals on tires with free installation. Might want to hit him up!

Well they are at least 2 years old because last year the Power Pure was the replacement for the 2CT.

I would do as Kellen suggested and then buy a new set around the start of October.

That doesnt mean the tire is at lease 2 years old, when the Pure came out they continued to make the Power 2ct's. So you can still get PP 2CT with a 2012 manufacturing date

Id buy a set either way, the pricing on sets is way better then single tires....

thanks for the responses guys.

I'm leaning towards buying a new set of PP3's and keeping the old ones just in case. If that is the case, i'm also contemplating in going back to stock 180 instead of 190. My old bike was a 636 with a 190 rear as well so i'm not sure how a 180 will handle. From what i've been told, it's not THAT much of a difference.

I failed to mention that I ride pretty aggressively from time to time taking on-ramps known to me as little practice runs hence me being a little leery with my present tires.

Back
Top Bottom