advice for a beginner trying to start out | GTAMotorcycle.com

advice for a beginner trying to start out

dmcknight

so i'm a little confused about a new rider getting started, i want to get my m1 and my own bike, but I don't understand how insurance works. with a car license you get a learners permit and you can drive other peoples car with no insurance ( car owners insurance covers you) this doesn't work with a bike.

so lets say i write my m1, as I understand it I can only ride someone else's bike? because I cant get insurance with an m1. this is difficult for someone that doesn't know any riders. my broker said it basically it lets me do the road test and they can provide a bike. so what's the point of a m1 (learners permit) If cant use it to learn?

with some companies you can still get insurance with M1 but they might want to see that you have completed your Motorcycle Training course, Though the insurance rates will be higher as compare to M2.

Spend the ~$500 on the course, once you complete it you will be eligible to pick up your M2 (as long as you've had your M1 for 60 days) and you might just learn a few things in the process. Then you can buy a bike and start riding.

I've been reading here that some insurance companies will insure you as though you have M2 once you've done the course, which makes sense because typically by the time it gets done you've already passed the M1X test and have only a few weeks left to wait to make it official anyway. My company quasi confirmed the same when I called, told me they won't touch me until I have the course done. And by this sunday I will be finished my course with MTOHP. Go get the M1 and book a course, all of the schools are filling up quick.

so lets say i write my m1, as I understand it I can only ride someone else's bike?

I doubt this is the case. The "friend's" insurance most likely won't pay out (or they'll raise a hell of a stink) if his bike was being ridden by someone else when something happened unless his policy specifically stipulates multiple rider coverage. People who attempt this in a family situation (i.e. 16 yo kid gets an R6, its registered and insured under dad's name but junior is the one really riding it all the time) are essentially committing insurance fraud.

Take (and pass...) the M1X course, then talk to your insurance co of record. Expect to start out on a 125 or 250. You may get a bit of a break if you're old(er), have a spotless record and/or have other things insured (e.g. cars, house/apt etc) with that company. If you're a kid (<25) it's going to hurt...

so lets say i write my m1, as I understand it I can only ride someone else's bike?

Well you can ride with the Owners permission since your M1 License allows you to ride the bike, but if the accident happens your friend's/owners insurance rate will effect big time. and later when you try to get you own insurance most companies will rate you for the claims as well because you are the rider involved in an accident, and your friend will have tough time to remove your accident from his policy. Most companies will ask your friend to prove that you have been rated for the accident under your own insurance.

In my case- I bought a motorcycle yesterday (and got my M1 a couple of days back)- and i got the same response from my Insurance.
They will insure me with M1 and motorcycle safety course. But not with just M1.

I went to Service Ontario and got the motorcycle transferred to my name today. I will have to go back to Service Ontario once I am done with Motorcycle Safety course (I have registered for the course for next weekend), so that I'd have proof of insurance, and finally would be able to get plates and ride.

The motorcycle is sitting in the garage, and I am going bonkers not able to ride it.

BTW- is anybody registered for next weekend course @Mtohp (Hurontorio)?

I wonder if you could truck your bike over to the MTO lot. Do the test on their property, and then truck it back?

Insurance is getting more and more interesting, as time goes on.

I wonder if you could truck your bike over to the MTO lot. Do the test on their property, and then truck it back?

The MTO test requires the bike is plated and insured. ;)

OP, you *can* get insurance (through some companies, not all) as an M1 rider but it'll cost you a lot more than if you just wait until you have the M2. The preferred route to accomplish that is one of the motorcycle safety courses as mentioned - once you get the certificate showing you passed many insurance companies will then write you a policy as an M2 even though you might not technically have the licence itself officially yet.

The MSC is well worth the money. Just do it.

The M1 and proper gear is a requirement for the course, so get started.

And lastly, get insurance quotes BEFORE buying a bike - cardinal rule. IE, don't buy something you find out afterwards you can't afford to insure - motorcycle insurance is not cheap.

Insurance is getting more and more interesting, as time goes on.

kijiji for this guy who has a bike and he brings it to the exam .. i think you pay him $99 or something ..

Spend the ~$500 on the course, once you complete it you will be eligible to pick up your M2 (as long as you've had your M1 for 60 days) and you might just learn a few things in the process. Then you can buy a bike and start riding.
definitely worth it. You will learn a few things you didn't know before, plus you have instructors there to help you out and you can pick their brain. First question I get from insurance companies when I call is if I had any rider training

Forum members get a sick deal with MTOHP, and I can't recommend them enough. Well worth the money. M1 first, then course, then start getting fantasy quotes on bikes that you like. When you get a quote that you can handle on a bike you love, then buy it and go from there.

Tried googling but could not find a clear answer.

Once I have finished a motorcycle safety course for M1 Exit, I would be given a referral letter to take to MTO (i need to wait for 60 days after M1 date).

Could I ride in highways and have a passenger in the interim period, or does M1 restrictions continue to apply all the way until I collect my M2?

They don't give you a physical letter anymore, it's all done electronically, but yes you do need to wait until the 60 days from your M1 date has passed before you can go to a Service Ontario and collect your upgraded M2.

And until that time you are still limited to the M1 restrictions.

As for passengers, don't rush that - taking a passenger can change a motorcycle's handling (including braking) far more than a new rider might be able to handle.

Don't forget that you only have one license, so if you violate the M1/M2 restrictions on a bike, you lose your car/truck license as well.

Also, alcohol is 0.00000 for M1/M2 so you might want to wait a day or so after having alcohol, for it to completely clear your system.

As for passengers, don't rush that - taking a passenger can change a motorcycle's handling (including braking) far more than a new rider might be able to handle.

Good advise. I am used to riding 2 up in the past in a different country. But I guess there's a lot of difference in the speed limit and driving styles. It's better to be safe and get some solo riding experience under my belt.

The main reason I asked is once I get my Motorcycle safety course completed, my wife was planning to get her M1 and wanted some motorcycle practice before going for the safety course. I thought we'd ride 2 up to a place where there's less traffic for her to get some riding practice, while I watch from a close distance.
Oh well, I guess that can always be accomplished with me riding a motorcycle and her in a car, and then we could park and she could ride the motorcycle solo.

Also, alcohol is 0.00000 for M1/M2 so you might want to wait a day or so after having alcohol, for it to completely clear your system.

Good point. I need to be extra careful about not having some pints late in the evening, and ride out early morning.

Oh well, I guess that can always be accomplished with me riding a motorcycle and her in a car, and then we could park and she could ride the motorcycle solo.

That works perfectly, and no worries about safety or licence restrictions that way.

One other thing if you're taking an M1 exit (gearing up) course. Don't ride to the lecture if it's at night. It will cause you to break your curfew, and if you get stopped, it could spoil your weekend. Also, some instructors are cops.

Back
Top Bottom